Here is my situation:

Work just gave me my first BB-an 8350i on Nextel.

It was hooked into the BES and all was well...until I upgraded to the new OS at home. All my data was there and the phone worked but I lost connectivity with the BES. In fact, I lost all data connectivity except on wi-fi. Worse, the menu changed and they couldn't find the screen to setup the BES configuration again.

They were very, very upset with me. They couldn't get it fixed and I have a new BB ordered.

Now the problem I need help with.

I got lectured about hooking my BB up to my personal computer, which I honestly didn't know was a problem.

I work partially at home and partially in an office and I need to be able to enter stuff on my home Outlook and sync it with my BB. At the same time, I need to get my work email on the BB but not my home email. I don't really want to sync my work Outlook (I disabled wireless manager) with the BB, nor merge it with my home Outlook, but I will if it solves the problem.

Ideas?
    11-17-10 04:16 PM
    If you don't let work Outlook sync with your BlackBerry, there's no point in having it. That's how you get your work email. You probably can't sync both your home Outlook and the Enterprise Outlook, since Enterprise Outlook is over the air and your PC won't be.

You don't have any expectation of privacy when using a BlackBerry on BES. As you just found out, what you don't know can get you in trouble. Here's a good reference:
    Can a BES administrator read my PIN and/or SMS messages and see my phone call logs?
    Yes, if the BES is version 4.1 or newer and the device is o/s code 4.1 or later.
    • Starting with BES 4.1, the BES admin can log all PIN and SMS messages to the BES server, including the content of those messages.
    • BlackBerry Messenger messages and conversations can also be audited by the BES administrator.
    • In addition, the administrator can view all phone calls made/received to the device including date/time, number dialed, and the name of the person you are calling or who called you if that name is listed in your contact list.

Source: BES Users FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ

See also this link, originally posted by Joolie, a super moderator at the BES forum port3101.org: What does BES see? What can be tracked?
    11-17-10 05:23 PM
    I should have been more specific.

On my BB I need my work email and my home contacts and calendar.

I was getting work email but disabled wireless manger for contacts and calendar. I was synching those with DM at home.

Somewhere I read about some sort of forwarding of my home Outlook through Google but I can't find it.

I don't have privacy worries. I'm not using it for inappropriate purposes.
    11-17-10 05:41 PM
    There shouldn't be any problem installing your home email. BES allows up to 10 BIS accounts. You can set up your email from your BlackBerry or from a PC. You don't have to try to forward.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-10 05:50 PM
    I don't want my home email on my BB.

I do want my home calendar and contacts on my BB.

Thanks for the quick replies.
    11-17-10 06:07 PM
    ...On my BB I need my work email and my home contacts and calendar.

I was getting work email but disabled wireless manger for contacts and calendar. I was synching those with DM at home.

Somewhere I read about some sort of forwarding of my home Outlook through Google but I can't find it.
    If I understand correctly, you had everything working just like you wanted it until you performed an OS install and broke your Enterprise Activation. That was detected by your employer. As long as you don't perform an OS install or install any apps from home, I don't think your employer will know you are syncing your calendar and contacts from a home PC. However, it's your job that's at stake. If you think you might get in trouble if you are caught, then your safest option is to buy your own BlackBerry and carry both.
    11-17-10 09:35 PM
    You are right, I can't have IT upset with me again.

I'm not sure what the difference is between BIS and BES is, but here is what I'm thinking:

I'll get a personal BB, probably a Torch but will want to get work email in the same format (because I like it) that my Curve had on the BES.

Assuming IT won't allow a non work phone on the BES, can I get email in the same format through BIS?

The other question is which data plan to get. I want to get the $15 200mb through ATT but am concerned that push email will eat that up. I don't care about videos or streaming music, games etc.

I need the phone for voice, light texting, and emails from work.
    11-19-10 10:22 AM
    200 MB will allow a lot of simple emails and texts. Unless you are sending / receiving a lot of big files, powerpoint presentations, for example, 200 MB is probably enough. That the emails are pushed won't make any difference.

BIS email typically looks just like BES email on your BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-10 10:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD