Hey all,

i've been following crackberry site form quite a while and i m tending towards blackberry.. here's my first post and question

I've been using my SE w810i from about 2years and looking for a change
    I am really really confused about choosing blackberry bold or Nokia N96
    dont even wanna consider javelin.. bold looks much better.. atleast according to me..

Either phone, I am gonna use it for another 2years.. thats the minimum.. price is not a factor in this comparison.. as i m from india, both the phones cost 34990 INR.. not even a penny up and down..

well, the biggest advantage of N96 is
    1. 16GB of inbuilt memory..
    2. the software support (skype in particular).. pls dont bang me for this. i am really unsure about the inbuilt features and 3rd party softwares for blackberry
    3. the 2nd camera.. i can use this on skype.. for video chat
    4. FM Radio..
    5. inbuilt video acceleration - on the chipset (not referring to the graphics accelerator and N96 like bold doesnt have one).. although dont watch much videos.. but hey this is an added advantage

coming to the bold..
    1. i love the processor speed.. (624MHz on bold vs. 264MHz on N96)..
    2. the next big thing is the screen size... the resolution is to die for.. dont mind the 2.4" against 2.8" on N96.. the side port (3.5") is a turn off.. i wish it could be on the top.. but i can live with it...
    3. MS Office docs editing.. with no external s/w purchase
    4. it has the cool factor.. blackberry vs nokia., sounds blackberry is much cooler and despite my friends favouring the looks of N96.. bold looks sexier to me and adds the geek factor... well the lack of higher memory is a turn off.. and buying 8GB / 16GB microSDHC card adds to extra expense.. also, does adding 16GB of card slows down bold ?
    5. build quality.. didnt experience this but.. there are no movable parts in the blackberry unlike the sliding of N96.. which should be more reliable

i use my new phone for music.. and emails.. well for calls and text too..

is the added expense of the external card worth buying bold ???
    in india, we dont normally choose a carrier.. and guide me in this way.. that how can i configure my mail via BIS on bold.. in n96.. theres nothing like BIS and BES (obviously ) so configuring mails is just straight forward.. is it the same in bold too ????

sorry for the lengthy post.. really really really appreciate "feedbacks with comments".. please dont suggest anyother phone.. just one of these two..

thanks in advance and thanks for reading this lengthy post..
    09-26-08 02:41 PM
    I too have just upgraded to the bold and I looked at both the bold and n96
    I have been a big nokia fan, but now I am fully converted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-08 02:46 PM
    wat about email configurations for non-carrier bolds'... and also.. skype ?

was expecting lil details please..
    09-26-08 05:03 PM
    The current 'new' Blackberries are designed to use the plugin microSD card, if you don't use it your memory storage will get munged big time soon after you start using the mail and gadgets. So the extra storage is 'optional' only in that the phone will boot and operate as a basic phone without it, and you have the option for what size you install. Its no big deal, a small-ish card will keep the memory manager away and should be enough to let you learn to use the phone without paying premium prices for the latest 8-16GB cards.

Setting up email with BIS should be easy. (If its not, there's something wrong - probably your account not yet fully activated by the phone company). Go take a look at http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/blac...e-series-4716/ in the FAQ forum here. It was written for slightly older models so the screens and menu options change slightly for Bold but the general scheme is the same. If anything BB is even easier than Nokia and other phones, tell it where to look, give the username and password, and it just happens.

It doesn't matter if you have a non-carrier supplied BB, the mail setup and functionality is the same. The only practical difference between carrier supplied and non-carrier hardware is that for non-carrier you need to either get it unlocked from the original carrier's SIM lock, or buy SIM-free and unlocked.

The thing you will probably see as the biggest difference between BlackBerry and other smartphones is that BB tends to be designed as a business tool with multimedia extras, and the others are multimedia phones/PDAs which happen to do business applications reasonably well. The design comes from the other direction, and it shows in the finished product.

I can't really comment on the other details of Bold yet, it will be a few more days before I get my hands on one.
    09-26-08 05:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD