Hello all,

First time on this site, spent hours researching BB and pulled the pin on a Sprint 8330 Friday, now worst fears come true. Information overload, simple task like adding/linking info from my contacts to the Desktop manager? Have a Palm E2 and when linked up the contacts are right there, tried this with the BB and could not find it? Have gone to many forums sites and cannot find the answer (probably due to the simplicity of the task).

Can anyone assist?

Eric
    10-06-08 12:16 PM
    Have you tried using the Switch Device Wizard?
    10-06-08 12:22 PM
    Thank you sunkast, but when I ran the Switch device it perform some task? But, I still do no "see" anyplace to update/input changes. I did not try and link my palm (info outdated there anyway). Just trying to find my way around.
    10-06-08 12:28 PM
    The Switch Device Wizard should be able to transfer over your information from your Palm, to your BlackBerry. There is nothing in DM that allows you to edit information directly on the BB. You could instead sync with Outlook, and edit information in Outlook.
    10-06-08 12:40 PM
    Okay, will try that next. Is there a folder in DM that allows/shows contact info?
    10-06-08 12:46 PM
    No there isn't.
    10-06-08 12:58 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

There is a free third party program that will allow you to view and edit your contact information.

Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Editor, edit contacts in IPD files

ABC Amber BlackBerry Editor is an easy-to-use, award-winning program that helps you manage contact information in IPD (BlackBerry Backup) files.

You can retrieve an address book from IPD file, edit it (full name, company name, job title, phone numbers, home and work addresses, etc.) and then put it back on BB.

As all ABC Amber products, it's really easy as ABC and powerful as Amber.
    10-06-08 03:10 PM
    Reed,

Thank you; one question, it may sound silly, but do you load that program independantly of Blackberry DM or try and put it in the same directory/folder?

And thank you for the welcome!
    10-06-08 05:00 PM
    The default install goes into .../program files and adds a desktop shortcut.

When you open the app, it lets you select a IPD backup file to edit. After editing and saving, then you use Desktop Manager Restore to write it back to the device.

Amber has a number of useful support programs for BlackBerry, Palm and other smart phones.
    10-06-08 05:31 PM
    Reed,
    Okay I loaded the program and now I have this program open, but I cannot seem to connect or get to the BB, it tries to open the entertainment program? Like most Newbies I am getting way to frustrated to fight with this, maybe I should consider a "touch" operation. Too darn old to sit here and fight this ^$%%$^ system!
    10-06-08 05:49 PM
    Step one: Switch device wizard will export your Palm contacts to your BlackBerry.

Step two: Backup your BlackBerry.

Step three: Open the backup file in ABC Amber Editor.

Step four: Edit and save the file.

Step five: Restore to your BlackBerry.

Step six: Relax, it and get aquainted with the device.
    10-06-08 06:56 PM
    Sorry, just getting a little tweaked with this, CSR at Sprint tauted how user friendly this process is. I have been fighting little things like: how do you set the pictures to go to the sd card instead of the device and/or once they are on the device memory how do you move them on the device (just figure out how to move them with Roxie and DM. I have set aside my bonus money this year for this device and my wife has a much more simple Samsung M520 (she laughs at me).

Taking a chance and will follow your instructions, once again thanks for the go-by.
    10-06-08 07:27 PM
    Reed,

Followed your instructions to a TEE, had one error message but just re-ran program and just like PFM it worked like a charm. Thanks again. Weird that RIM would not put this kind of app on their desktop manager?
    10-06-08 08:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD