I bought an 8bg micro sd card (i have the 4.5 beta ) this past weekend, and im now wondering if its use is strictly for media, or if I can install apps and whatnot onto it as opposed to the bb memory. That being said will my berry use the media card as a type of expanded ram (is that the right term for a cell phone?)
    07-08-08 11:00 AM
    No, media cards do not work that way. You can only use it for media, and cannot run apps from it. Sorry.
    07-08-08 11:01 AM
    Are BlackBerrys ompatible with Micro SD HC cards. I want to buy an 8GB card but am nervous it will not work.
    07-08-08 11:39 AM
    Poo sticks. @ Kaki if you have bb handheld os 4.5 of any flavor (and a pearl, curve 88xx, dunno bout 87xx though) it will accept micro sd hc cards
    07-08-08 11:41 AM
    Poo sticks!!?? LOL!!

Anyhow, the phone will recognize the 8gb card, but it will run slow. I guarantee it. Also there is some debate as to whether certain devices will recognize all available space. I would stick with a 4gb.
    07-08-08 11:43 AM
    So you say that my curve will run slow with the 8 gb card even though Im running the beta os. Granted its the beta so its not optimized, but with that being one of the main features, Im assuming that was one of the first things fixed.

And sorry mods about the double post, slow internet ftl.
    07-08-08 12:13 PM
    You are correct. I have never heard of the 8gb NOT running slowly. 4gb is plenty, trust me..... Go with it.
    07-08-08 12:15 PM
    Agreed, unless you REALLY have a legit need for 8 gig........I REALLY only need less than 2 gigs and just dropped a 2 gig in and called it good......I don't need 1000 songs on my BB.........I mean.......unless I wanna retrace ALL of Vasco deGama's voyages..........how much opportunity IS there to listen to 1000 songs?
    07-08-08 01:49 PM
    I have a 1G and have more than half of it free. LOL. Guess it depends on how much stuff you going to put on your BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-08 03:38 PM
    You are telling me that I am going to have difficulty running an 8GB in my BB9000? What do you mean it will run slow? The whole phone will be slow? All I will put on it is music so I can listen on my BB instead of having to carry around my Ipod.
    07-08-08 03:43 PM
    Didnt mean to sound crazy in that post. I am just at work and cannot really take to much time to write nicely. I appreciate all the good advice guys!! keep it coming!
    07-08-08 03:45 PM
    You are correct. I have never heard of the 8gb NOT running slowly. 4gb is plenty, trust me..... Go with it.
    I have a 8gb in my 8330, OS is 4.3. It does run slow after a reboot or after it has been connected to my PC. I am guessing it is going through and scanning the card to see what changed. I do have about 2.7GB of video and 4.3GB of music on the thing. However once this initial 'scan' is complete the phone runs fine and I don't notice it running slowly at all.

So now you have heard of it not running slowly
    07-08-08 03:48 PM
    Clarification :

You can use an 8Gb microSDHC on any Berry that supports microSD cards! This does not mean that all of the storage will be recognized!

The ability to recognize and utilize all 8gigs is OS dependent!! I know that a couple variations of OS 4.2 can handle this but I am not sure which ones at this time... I am positive all flavors of OS 4.3 and 4.5 will support your 8gig microSD card fully!!

I personally use the 8Gb card and have not had any issues with it slowing down my Berry at all!! I know, the 8gig card is overkill... but I thought it was neat to have. I do not have this card loaded down, and that is when the bogging occurs. Once the card gets filled to about 6 gigs you will notice slow navigation on your Berry!!

The slow navigation is due (primarily) to the Berry's poor ability to index and organize all of that media!! The indexing ability is not optimized for that many files, and honestly sucks!!

Just some clarification

*EDIT* : Brinky ^^ has the totally right idea!!
    07-08-08 03:49 PM
    You are telling me that I am going to have difficulty running an 8GB in my BB9000? What do you mean it will run slow? The whole phone will be slow? All I will put on it is music so I can listen on my BB instead of having to carry around my Ipod.
    Well, seeing as very few of us actually have the 9000.... That's not really an answer anyone can give you with any certainty. And I'm pretty sure you do not have one yet either, correct? I would assume that, with the 4.6 OS, the 8gb should run just fine. But the OP does not have the Bold, so...... That is neither here nor there as far as he is concerned.
    07-08-08 03:51 PM
    I am just trying to understand what exactly runs s;owly when using such a big card. Is it the applications on the card? the bb itself? ...
    07-08-08 03:55 PM
    Well, seeing as very few of us actually have the 9000.... That's not really an answer anyone can give you with any certainty. And I'm pretty sure you do not have one yet either, correct? I would assume that, with the 4.6 OS, the 8gb should run just fine. But the OP does not have the Bold, so...... That is neither here nor there as far as he is concerned.
    Exactly! Jenay wins

And, if the Bold does not run an 8Gb card smoothly without indexing issues and all that... then that would be dumb!
    07-08-08 03:56 PM
    I am just trying to understand what exactly runs s;owly when using such a big card. Is it the applications on the card? the bb itself? ...
    Both. The BB will be slow to respond to anything you try to do and all the apps are affected as well. Even songs will tend to skip some while this scan is going on. I have never timed it, but 10 minutes seems about right for the time it takes to go through the 7GB of stuff on my card. But after that it is fine. Plus if you don't reboot the bb or connect it up to your PC to sync all the time, you will never notice this problem.
    07-08-08 03:59 PM
    Yeah it's true about the BB running slowly on reboots and when connecting to the computer. But after that initial hold up it runs just fine, no problems at all.

I got the 8gb but how could I pass it up for only $40 with a USB reader? Even if I decide I don't need nearly that kind of space on my BB then I still have a fancy new flash drive.
    07-08-08 09:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD