...and I had a few questions. Hopefully somebody can help me?

I am very interested in the BB Pearl 8130, and maybe even the Curve 8330, since I love the idea of my phone being my PDA. But my biggest question is, how useable would the PDA be if I don't sign up for the $30/mo internet fee? Can I still use it as a PDA? Or are the PDA/calendar functions pretty much useless if I don't subscribe for the internet service? I've done a lot of research and it seems the calendar stuff cannot be transferred by data cable from my computer, right? The only way to interface is by internet?

If I'm wrong, would somebody straighten me out? I love the idea of BB, but there's no way I can afford to pay $30/mo for internet since I wouldn't surf the web or email from the phone.

Thanks!
    McKenna
    09-01-08 10:18 AM
    Not sure who your carrier is but USCC requires a data plan. Not sure what you would want a BB for if you did not have the BIS. Most all of its cool features would not work.
    09-01-08 10:23 AM
    You can do it by cable through Outlook only, but having a wireless sync with Google calendars, contacts, email, etc. really makes all the featuerws come alive, but again, you can sync your information thru a cable by using outlook (includes address book and calendar). Happy hunting! And my recommendation to you would be the Curve. I started with a Pearl and quickly upgraded in 4 months.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-08 10:26 AM
    You do not need the data plan in order to use the BB as a PDA. As mentioned above, you would sync your data with the mini USB cable connected to your computer.

I too would recommend the Curve over the Pearl. That is just my opinon. It's a matter of size and keyboard. The Curve keyboard is much easier to get used to.
    09-01-08 10:31 AM
    Do the other carriers not require a data plan?
    09-01-08 10:35 AM
    I know Sprint, AT&T, Verizon do not require a data plan.

09-01-08 10:53 AM
    Well, I think every carrier is going to require a data plan if they haven't already. Verizon requires it to activate a blackberry. The reason it requires a data plan is because they communicate with not only your carrier, but also the blackberry servers automatically. Because they do it automatically, carriers started charging lots of money to people getting data charges for data that was being sent that they weren't aware of.
    09-01-08 10:57 AM
    Ok that makes sense, when I got mine USCC gives no choice you have to get it and its unlimited. Before I got it I told myself I would never pay for BB service. Well I got it now and don't know how I lived without it.

09-01-08 11:05 AM
    I wouldn't buy a BlackBerry without having a data plan. You can sync your calendar, contacts and tasks via USB to your Outlook. The great thing about having a BB for me is all of the communication abilities you get with it.

I'd suggest buying a used pocket PC and using a cheap phone if you're not gonna get a data plan.

09-01-08 11:11 AM
    Yeah, I think they should start requiring data plans otherwise I feel people aren't getting the full experience!! But of course there I'd always the WiFi issue, too, which some people may argue the data plan is not necessary.

09-01-08 11:11 AM
    Verizon is the only company I know of that requires a data plan. I had a pearl on AT&T for a long time with no data just so I could use the calendar functions. And until you have the experience you don't know what you're missing, I know I didn't.

The 8130 and 8330 are either Sprint or Verizon, if its Verizon this is a moot point, you must get the data plan. My recommendation is to go with a GSM carrier and that way you can just buy an unlocked berry with no questions and no hassles

09-01-08 01:54 PM
    I thought Verizon didn't require one except for activation purposes but then you could cancel it? That's what one of my friends did at least. He was still able to utilize it as a regular phone thereafter.

09-01-08 02:32 PM
    I would highly recommend a data plan if you can afford to have it.
    09-01-08 03:32 PM
    seriously my 2 cents....you want to get a blackberry...do urself a favor...get a data plan. blackberry without data plan is like a "long island ice tea" without vodka...something is missing
    09-01-08 05:32 PM
    The above posters are right, a data plan is the best way to go, however, two members of my family have BB's without the data plan.
    Their calendars synch via USB to Outlook and with Desktop Manager we can download new apps.
    I can send new wallpapers and ringtones to them via MMS.

BlackBerry's are designed to be a full-feature PDA and they are wonderful.
    But nothing beats a BB for basic functions either. Calendar and task synching, texting, etc are all easier on a BB.
    09-01-08 07:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD