I think I am just plain lost when it comes to my new Curve. I think of it more as a stress right now than an addiction. My addiction is to find out how to use this thing!

Here are some of the things I do not understand or cannot find the answers to:

1. Why does everyone say the Curve doesn't sync when I am looking at my Blackberry desktop manager and there is a spot to click to Sync?

2. Why does my phone only seem to update information when I plug it in to my computer? I thought information was going to be constantly sending from my computer to my phone and updating as I update my computer.

3. Why do the messages I read on my computer through Outlook remain unread messages on my phone? Same as above, I thought the information was supposed to be constantly updated and be exactly the same as on my computer.

4. Why do my emails go to two different folders on my phone? One is called messages, and the other is the name of my work email address.

I have an IT person at work, but he only comes to our office once a week. That was yesterday!

I am using Outlook as my email system at work and yahoo for personal. I haven't even gone as far as setting up the yahoo address on my phone. More concerned with work for now.

Any help on the above topics would be greatly appreciated. I also do not really understand all the lingo yet, so plain explanations would be a plus for me.
    11-19-08 04:45 PM
    1. I've never heard anyone say that. The Curve syncs just like every other BlackBerry. See #2.

2. Unless you have a corporate phone on BES, only your Email will synch over the air. The calendar, contacts, notes, and tasks will synch when you plug your Curve into the USB port, run Desktop Manager, and press the Sync selection. See #1.

3. Since I am on BES, I will defer to someone on BIS to answer this one.

4. All messages (text or email) go to the Messages Folder. Emails also go to the specific folder for that email address. If you have two or more email icons, the Messages Folder is a convenient place to read all the messages. Or you can read them in their individual folders. There is only one copy of the message, so if you delete it one folder, it will be deleted in the other.

Feel free to ask more questions if you don't understand what I just typed.

Welcome to the Forums!
    11-19-08 04:57 PM
    Welcome to CB!

Since I'm using BIS, I'll take a *crack* (lol) at #3.

Your BB is sent messages from your personal email system when they arrive. If you view them on your PC, your BB doesn't know this and still considers it an unread message.

I only sync my calendar and contacts. My email is not sync'd. It's coordinated, but not necessarily in sync. I have 3 email boxes on my BB, each from a different server.

Don't stress out. It's a steep learning *curve*, but it's a fast one. And once you get going, months will have passed and your addiction will be full blown.

Enjoy the addiction

(and if you have any more questions, feel free to post them. There is always an addict around to assist you!)
    11-19-08 05:12 PM
    BTW, welcome to the CB family! You're in GREAT hands - just look at the two answers you got! :-)
    11-19-08 09:38 PM
    Thank you for your replies. I think I am starting to understand a little. What is the difference between BIS and BES? What do these stand for?
    11-20-08 09:09 AM
    BES is Blackberry Enterprise Server (Service), and is a corporate environment, not found with individual phones/plans (typically).

BIS is Blackberry Internet Service, this is what most individual BB users have. This would facilitate your email, web browsing, etc.

And you're in good hands here. I've learned a ton since joining the crackberry.com community. There's always someone that can assist you.
    11-20-08 09:47 AM
    You can also change the setting to delete emails on "handheld", or "Mailbox and Handheld", or "prompt you".

Go to email> hit menu> options> email reconciliation> click on "delete on" then choose.

Welcome to CB. It's great that the BB's are so customizable. You have a great phone and it just takes some time getting used to. Just spend some time here and you will learn so much. I know I did! Good Luck!
    11-20-08 10:29 AM
    you can also separate your SMS/MMS (text & picture) messages from your emails so that they dont get jumbled into your big Messages folder.

This way, you can just look at the one with your work email address. And then your SMS/MMS folder. To do this:
    Go to your Messages folder>
    Blackberry button to pull the Menu>
    Options>
    General Options >
    SMS and Email Inboxes>
    Change option to "Separate"

This might help.

OH... and another tip.. i also recommend hiding your sent messages. (This will keep your inbox from being cluttered with them.) You can always see your sent SMS/MMS by clicking View Folder and then selecting the outbox. You can view sent emails anytime while in your Messages folder by clicking - ALT O.

Welcome to CB. (For the record, i was just like you when i first switched to the blackberry, like what's the hype? But once you get it... it rules!
    11-20-08 12:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD