I realized today this this device does not sync my contacts like my old phoe used to unless I plug it in. This was a huge part of me staying organized. How can blackberry claim to be a business oriented phone without this feature? I was told by Verizon that the only way to make this happen is with a dedicated server. Someone please tell me there is another way.
    04-11-08 01:39 PM
    Is 8gb the size memory card I should buy for this?
    04-11-08 01:42 PM
    You can either host your own BES server as I do that will sync contacts, emails, notes, the works over the air... Or you can get an online provider such as mail2web.com. (There are others out there if you google for BES Hosting)

Google has the option to sync your calendar OTA right now and I read that contact sync is on the way soon, plus gmail already syncs email 2-way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-08 01:51 PM
    You can either host your own BES server as I do that will sync contacts, emails, notes, the works over the air... Or you can get an online provider such as mail2web.com. (There are others out there if you google for BES Hosting)

Google has the option to sync your calendar OTA right now and I read that contact sync is on the way soon, plus gmail already syncs email 2-way.

I do have gmail but I use outlook. Is there a way to get it to sync?
    04-11-08 01:52 PM
    google just added a sync to outlook
    04-11-08 01:55 PM
    You can setup your Outlook to access your gmail using the imap servers. It will all stay in sync that way.

04-11-08 02:00 PM
    You can also use Bluetooth to sync without USB, but you still need USB to install apps that are not OTA.
    04-11-08 03:23 PM
    Once again it sounds like someone did not research their purchase.....kind of like buying a car and then stating , "what do you mean I have to unleaded gasoline, my last car used diesel."
    Now that I got that out of the way, the other posters are correct in that if you don't use BES you have to refer to a few other methods as opposed to OTA.
    04-11-08 04:41 PM
    Hahaha @lush242000. I see you also saw the "no video recording WTF?" Post

04-11-08 04:50 PM
    BB is a serious corporate machine and with all of the recent mainstreaming of the BB, it should not be confused with a media player video-recording toy! Corporations EXPECT professional products without defects or costly errors; thus, the BB. Maybe folks should get an iphone if they are looking for the bling! Me, I've had them all and the BB is my choice for reliable communication.

04-11-08 05:16 PM
    Once again it sounds like someone did not research their purchase.....kind of like buying a car and then stating , "what do you mean I have to unleaded gasoline, my last car used diesel."
    Now that I got that out of the way, the other posters are correct in that if you don't use BES you have to refer to a few other methods as opposed to OTA.

Yes I did do my research but didnt cover every single thing like I am sure you did. So far Im not understanding some of the things people are saying to do.
    04-11-08 06:38 PM
    when have we become so lazy just punch in your numbers everyone wants everything automatic these days
    Because for business reasons it is something I use to keep me organized.
    04-11-08 06:39 PM

I thought only yahoo does 2-way sync...how did you get gmail to do it?
    04-11-08 08:21 PM
    Thanks for the info...
    04-12-08 12:30 AM
    Chugg, I am sorry this device does not sync like your old device. Given time, I am sure you will find things this device does that your old device does not. Hopefully it all works out. Welcome to Crackberry.
    04-12-08 12:32 AM
    Come on now, lighten up. He's a bit frustrated. Let's not make enemies over this post. I didn't take his post as a bash, he's just looking for answers and they are valid.

04-12-08 12:38 AM
    I've said it before elsewhere and I'll say it again. No device is perfect. Find what is best for you or get rich designing one that does everything

04-12-08 12:38 AM
    This has happened to alot of folks latley it seems. How long ago did you get it. You may be able to take it back and get somthing that fits your needs. Just don't come to CB and try to bash RIM, we will not be nice if you do.
    Well, it seems that way based on responses to some of the post over the last few days.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 04-12-08 at 12:55 AM.
    04-12-08 12:52 AM
    jesus.. i cant believe the elitist attitude I'm seeing from some of these posts!
    telling someone to buy something else instead of actually helping the person sort it out.

and maybe i missed it, but the OP never bashed RIM.

chugg, trust me once you get used to the way the BB works i'm sure you'll find it more than adequate for your needs.

go have a quick read here:
    Official Google Blog: Google Calendar Sync
    which will lead you here:
    Google Calendar Sync: Getting Started

you can also do some more reading here:
    Half Full: Blackberry Basics

then head here:
    Mobile

its all pretty strait forward, just do some reading get the stuff installed you need, and you'll be syncing in no time, with minimal down time to you, and keeping you organized and happy.

welcome to the blackberry community, and please dont be put off by some of the comments and replies in this thread, their views are far from indicative of this forums intent.

cheers
    04-12-08 02:28 AM
    Listen guys. I didnt come on here to get bashed or argue with people. That is childish and needs to be confined to grade school. I wasnt bashing BB at all. I still cannot believe that it doesnt update contacts from outlook but by no means does that mean I am leaving and getting a different phone. I will become a blackberry user for a very long time. The situation is this. I use gmail through outlook. I need to somehow do a few things.

1- get my calender and contacts to sync. Contacts especially.

2- Get my emails to delete from my phone when I delete them from my computer. I get so many emails in 1 day for business that if I had to go on the phone and delete all of them and then do the same on the computer it would take too much time that I could be putting towards business and making money. Again,
    please refrain from anything but a positive conversation on my thread if you would. I try to stay positive at all times.
    04-14-08 12:59 PM
    Welcome to CB chugg!!! Good luck!
    04-14-08 01:12 PM
    Listen guys. I didnt come on here to get bashed or argue with people. That is childish and needs to be confined to grade school. I wasnt bashing BB at all.

Again, please refrain from anything but a positive conversation on my thread if you would. I try to stay positive at all times.
    i'm sorry that people have been pretty rude and you're not too happy with your BB. at any rate, i hope you can find some solutions to your concerns.

oh & welcome to CB :]
    04-14-08 01:58 PM
    Ummm...in all honesty..this was some of THE rudest respones I have ever seen on CB...all the rude posts have been removed, I really don't think I need to message you all to let you know which ones they were.
    04-14-08 03:00 PM
    Listen guys. I didnt come on here to get bashed or argue with people. That is childish and needs to be confined to grade school. I wasnt bashing BB at all. I still cannot believe that it doesnt update contacts from outlook but by no means does that mean I am leaving and getting a different phone. I will become a blackberry user for a very long time. The situation is this. I use gmail through outlook. I need to somehow do a few things.

1- get my calender and contacts to sync. Contacts especially.

2- Get my emails to delete from my phone when I delete them from my computer. I get so many emails in 1 day for business that if I had to go on the phone and delete all of them and then do the same on the computer it would take too much time that I could be putting towards business and making money. Again,
    please refrain from anything but a positive conversation on my thread if you would. I try to stay positive at all times.
    hi chugg.. did any of the links i posted help? i dont sync via.. anything but my pc really, so i dont have to worry about wireless sync'ing. so i was just trying to help out there.

Ummm...in all honesty..this was some of THE rudest respones I have ever seen on CB...all the rude posts have been removed, I really don't think I need to message you all to let you know which ones they were.
    if this forum had a Rep system, i'd rep ya for it
    04-15-08 02:30 AM
    hi chugg.. did any of the links i posted help? i dont sync via.. anything but my pc really, so i dont have to worry about wireless sync'ing. so i was just trying to help out there.

if this forum had a Rep system, i'd rep ya for it
    Thanks for the links. Yes one of them was helpful. I am looking into it further.,
    04-16-08 09:04 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD