Hi,
    I've just started using a Blackberry Curce 8310 at my work (provider Rogers). I've done a lot to set it up the way I like it and putting in all my email contacts (business & personal). I like it so much I've decided to upgrade my personal cell phone to a Blackberry Curve 8320 (also thru Rogers). But I'm not getting data on my personal BB, just their email plan? Please bear with me, but I have a few questions?
    1) Can I copy all my settings (& my address/contact info) from my work BB to my personal BB? If so, how would I do that?
    2) Am I going to regret not getting data on my personal BB? I didn't want to pay for data, and couldn't imagine internet browsing on my BB, but I'm wondering if perhaps I'm going to regret this decision?
    3) Also my new 8320 has Wi-Fi rather than GPS? and I'm wondering what exactly the means?
    Sorry for all the questions, but I'd really appreciate any information you can provide.
    Thanks,
    11-12-08 01:12 AM
    Hi,
    I've just started using a Blackberry Curce 8310 at my work (provider Rogers). I've done a lot to set it up the way I like it and putting in all my email contacts (business & personal). I like it so much I've decided to upgrade my personal cell phone to a Blackberry Curve 8320 (also thru Rogers). But I'm not getting data on my personal BB, just their email plan? Please bear with me, but I have a few questions?
    1) Can I copy all my settings (& my address/contact info) from my work BB to my personal BB? If so, how would I do that?
    2) Am I going to regret not getting data on my personal BB? I didn't want to pay for data, and couldn't imagine internet browsing on my BB, but I'm wondering if perhaps I'm going to regret this decision?
    3) Also my new 8320 has Wi-Fi rather than GPS? and I'm wondering what exactly the means?
    Sorry for all the questions, but I'd really appreciate any information you can provide.
    Thanks,
    Welcome to CB!

I'll do my best to answer your questions. I'm not a guru, just a disciple of the addiction

1) You can use the BB desktop manager to "switch devices". Put one in, it reads it, then put the second in, and it should transfer over all of your data.

2) To get the full effect of owning a BB, you'll want an all you can eat data package. Without it, you have a device that has many more features you can access than your plan will allow without data.

3) Wi-fi will allow your BB to connect to the Internet through any open wi-fi signal or through your home wireless internet. My first BB was an 8320 and I loved it. My second is the 8330, which is the GPS version. Some people like the wi-fi, some people prefer the GPS. I am in the GPS camp. GPS allows you to use navigator applications, with Sprint, they have a voice turn by turn navigation system. But you need their unlimited data plan to use it. And it is a very handy feature for me, since I have a large area I travel in for business.

If you have any other questions, post them here or PM me, I'd be glad to help if I can.

Enjoy the addiction
    11-12-08 05:38 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry

sprint8330 has addressed most of your concerns, but I would like to further discuss the advantages of Wifi in a BlackBerry.

Wifi is available to support Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA), Rogers markets the service as TalkSpot.

When you have a UMA connection, all of your voice and data are carried through the Internet. That is most useful when you live or work in a location where EDGE coverage is limited or non-existent. It effectively bypasses Rogers own wireless network.

Your new Curve should connect to a Wifi connection and enable UMA. You do not need to subscribe to TalkSpot.

Marketing UMA is a challenge, most carriers use unlimited voice and data access to justify the UMA plan. TalkSpot allows you unlimited voice, but the data is still billed to your plan.

Do you need a data plan? No, as long as you will only be using Browser and not be using email or messaging services. It make a great Phone and PDA combination. If BlackBerry pushed email is important, there is a way around it, you will need the BIS plan.

I used iGoogle and Gmail for several months, it works very well for basic email service through your Browser.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 11-12-08 at 12:39 PM.
    11-12-08 11:32 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-08 12:56 PM
    Welcome to the CB family!
    11-12-08 01:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD