I have been a BB user for about a year, I have an 8700c. I have tried to use the calander for appointments, etc - but there is way too much clicking/scrolling/etc. to make it worth it.

I use my BB pretty much as a standalone and don't sync to outlook or any other desktop application.

Is there a better calander/appointment solution? I miss my Palm OS from 2002when it comes to appointments!

thanks!
    11-10-08 09:26 AM
    I use google calendar, which allows me to input data from any computer with internet access. Synch is done over the internet. It works well and it is free.

Why don't you try it? You are going to like it.

Simon

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-08 09:35 AM
    I don't like the BB calendar app. It would much nicer if the blackberry manager software would allow you to enter all of your appoinments on a desktop PC and then sync over to the BB. I'm also looking for 3rd party organizer software so i'm curious to see the posts...
    11-10-08 09:37 AM
    Thanks for the Google Calendar advice - I'm going to try it!
    11-10-08 10:24 AM
    I use google calendar, which allows me to input data from any computer with internet access. Synch is done over the internet. It works well and it is free.

Why don't you try it? You are going to like it.

Simon

Google calendar is fantastic! Thanks for the tip. Even better then palm since you can enter info online. As usual, google doesn't dissapoint.

Jeff
    11-10-08 10:50 AM
    I am familiar with google calander, but is there a way to access it on my BB from an icon - or do I have to access it through the browser?
    11-10-08 12:35 PM
    When you download the program from google the icon should automatically appear on your desktop (lowercase g in a circle)
    11-10-08 04:14 PM
    I don't like the BB calendar app. It would much nicer if the blackberry manager software would allow you to enter all of your appoinments on a desktop PC and then sync over to the BB. I'm also looking for 3rd party organizer software so i'm curious to see the posts...
    They do have one, it is called Outlook. Syncing with Outlook is THE way to work with your PC and a BlackBerry.

I use the BlackBerry Calender all the time and I have no problem with it at all. Sure it could be made prettier and I'd like a few more options but, for me, it does its job well when combined with Outlook.

One key feature that I like is that both the BlackBerry and Outlook alert me to my next appointment and I could not do that with Google unless I was on the website, I think.

I used a Palm for a while and I absolutely hated that horrid little program that got between Outlook - my professional lifeblood - and my PDA. I ditched the Palm the first day I could and have never looked back.
    Last edited by Pete6; 11-10-08 at 04:27 PM.
    11-10-08 04:21 PM
    I use Pocket Informant. I love it. It is however a work in progress so some don't like it. They are working to have it synch with outlook bypassing the BB calendar all together.

11-10-08 04:34 PM
    I agree, the Google calendar is wonderful all by itself. BUT, the way that it syncs up with the BlackBerry calendar is superb!!

You can get it on your BB by using the browser to go to google.com and you should then be prompted to download the Google app for BB. Once downloaded there will be an icon placed on your desktop. Also, and I don't remember how/why it appeared, but there is also a separate Sync icon that takes you right to the Google Calendar sync app. You have the choice of letting the calendars sync automatically or manually. And regardless of the setting you can always do a forced manual sync.

You can make multiple Google calendars from within the same Google account which you can choose to share with other people. This feature is what makes it so useful for me and my partner. We each have our own Google calendar accounts (which you automatically get if you signup for a free Gmail account). Then, we set the calendars to be shared between us. Then, we each downloaded the Google App to our BB's and voila! We can see each others' schedules and change things on the fly, very cool (and free!!).

And I find that when viewing the BB calender it is helpful to use the Agenda view because it only shows the planned events, making it super quick to check out what is going on/coming up.

We've had our BB's for less than a month and this was one of the first things that I setup and have come to realize why they are sometimes referred to as CrackBerries, I love them!! I've even found myself spending way more time with my Curve than with my Kindle as of late, whoa!! You know it is a cool device if THAT'S the case!!
    Last edited by bb8154; 11-11-08 at 01:21 PM.
    11-11-08 01:17 PM
    Also, from within the Google Sync App you can select which Google calendar you want to modify with changes that you make on your BlackBerry.

For example, I have a total of 4 calendars setup with my Google account. 2 are mine and 2 are my partner's, Chad. 1 of mine is for general types of events/reminders and the other one is just for my work schedule. And the 2 from Chad are the same, 1 for general items and 1 just for his work schedule.

There is an option via the Google Sync App on my BB that allows me to select which calendar is going to be modfied with any events that I create/change on my BB. So, the next time that the App syncs my BB calendar and my Google calendars, the entries that I made on my BB are only applied to one particular calendar. Once this option is set it stays the same until/unless you change it in the future. And if you wanted to change/make an entry in a calendar that isn't your 'default' Google calendar, you could make the entry in the BB calendar, then switch your 'default' Google calendar to the desired one, do a manual sync and then switch your 'default' Google calendar back. And it certainly isn't as difficult to DO as it is for me to write out how I do it!! haha
    Last edited by bb8154; 11-11-08 at 01:53 PM.
    11-11-08 01:50 PM
    As Pete6 noted, since Google Calendar is browser based, in order for it to alert you of an upcoming event you have to have it open in a browser window, which you could do with a tab. One of the ways that it can alert you is via a pop-up, which only shows up in the particular browser window/tab that Google Calendar is open in. But you have 2 addtional notification options available to you when setting up events in the Google Calendar. You can also have it send you notifications via email or SMS. So, while it is not as tightly integrated with your PC like Outlook is, it does offer a good deal of flexibility. Plus, being that all of your events are 'in the cloud', no matter what computer you are using, as long as you have internet access on it then you have complete access to all of your events and notifications so long as you are logged into your Google account. And, of course, everything is also on your BlackBerry.

Whew, ok, I'll stop with my Google Calendar Mania!! It's just that, again, I'm brand new to the BlackBerry world and am overcome with joy at how awesome a device it is and how useful it is. And, the integration of the Google Calendars with my new BFF Curve, lol, makes it all the sweeter.
    11-11-08 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD