I've never had a blackberry but have wanted one for several years. I've had my google notify me of every new post anywhere concerning Blackberry's and have followed Crackberry for a couple years but now I need specific advice.

Verizon is my carrier and I've had an LG cell phone for four years. I got my twenty-four year old daughter interested in Blackberry's and she just purchased two weeks ago a Blackberry (oops--I forgot---not the curve but the other one which is narrower than the curve with sure-type) and she loves it. I just received a hundred dollars for my birthday and am considering purchasing a Blackberry from Verizon but not sure to buy the one my daughter purchased or the Curve. she got the pink one for $99 which is a good buy. She says she did not like the sure-type so she turned it off. I explained to her she needed a couple weeks to get adjusted to it and it needed time to adjust to her and would then accurately complete her words for her but she said it was distracting. The curve is somewhat bigger than the one she has but it has the full qwerty keyboard. I'm not sure which one to buy and would like opinions from others. Also, my daughter said to purchase the full blackberry package it cost her an additonal $30 monthly and I am hesitant to spend that much extra unless I'm positive it is really worth it. Can a person take advantage of the blackberry experience without purchasing the full Blackberry package?

I would appreciate any guidance anyone could offer me. I will subscribe to this thread so I can get instantanous e-mail of the answers to my question. I might add that I don't text message hardly ever but would enjoy the availability of the internet and the push e-mail. Am I wasting money purchasing a blackberry if I don't text message?

Thanks again for any guidance you can offer!
    06-14-08 02:31 PM
    I personally think that it is a waste if your just going to use the ohine for voice and text. To experience the total BB yoou need a data plan.
    06-14-08 02:35 PM
    Well I am in the same boat. I wanted a BB for years too. I have had my 8310 for about 3 wks and just got the internet 2 days ago. The one thing is that you can not send SMS without the internet package. Now that I have gotten the data plan I have found so many things that you can do. The way I look at it is get it for a mth or two see have much you use it. If you don't use it what have you lost, that way you will know. But I think once you get it you won't be able to live without it.
    06-14-08 02:44 PM
    get yourself a curve and an unlimited data plan and you will not be dissapointed.
    06-14-08 02:47 PM
    I agree with 35
    06-14-08 02:47 PM
    Being the contrarian here... here's my take
    First decide on a phone that you like, based on form factor
    features, ease of use, etc...

Second, decide on what you want that phone to do.
    Not everyone wants to have the "total BB experience"
    and that's perfectly OK. Though not many here will say so.

Once you've done those two if it's the Curve you want
    with simply email and browsing, go for it. You're the one
    paying for it, not us.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-14-08 at 03:05 PM.
    06-14-08 03:00 PM
    Your Daughter has the "Pearl" and I would reccommend the "Curve". It has the complete qwerty keyboard and a larger screen. If you get the data plan for an additional 30 bucks a month(varys for each carrier) you will be able to send and recieve e-mails, and browse the internet from your phone. Also, you will get the "full experience" that the device has to offer. Good luck on your difficult decision, and I hope you get what you want/need!!!
    06-14-08 08:04 PM
    I had a Pearl (the bb that your daughter has) earlier this year. I did get used to the suretype. She should try to learn to type without looking at the screen. Probably about 95% of the time suretype would get the words correct. As for your decision, I upgraded to the Curve last month on Verizon. I love my Curve. The full qwerty keyboard, bigger screen and more memory are great. I think you would really enjoy the Curve.
    06-14-08 08:17 PM
    Get the Curve.
    Any BB is worth it.
    I rarely use txt on my BB. They are so many other things you can do with a BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-08 08:31 PM
    Looks like a clear "yes" across the board. You should get a blackberry and total package to experience everything. As far as which phone to get you should play with your daughter's phone a bit and get your hands on a curve. Its really user preference on which device you pick
    06-14-08 09:27 PM
    Welcome!

You'll find that most of us here are biased when it comes to blackberries, myseld included. I recommend you try out the blackberry of your choice for 30 days with the full data plan. If you find that you have no use for all the features a berry with the data package has to offer, just exchange it.

As far as which phone to choose, that is very personal. I prefer the curve for its larger screen, full qwerty keyboard, and the 90mb of memoury as opposed to the pearl and world edition's 64mb. Also, the we is too bulky for me and doesn't have a camera. I had the pearl and loved it, the curve is just a better fit for me personally. Go to a verizon store and play with the different models.

Good luck, and hope this helps!

06-14-08 09:40 PM
    Personally I got the Pearl and loved it, but quickly upgraded to the Curve 8330 because I found that it was easier to use. The larger screen provided for more comfortable internet browsing, and email reading. The full keyboard lets me type emails with more ease (and less frustration.) Personally I couldn't stand SureType, I've never liked anything that "guesses" my words, even on regular cell phones.

I haven't regretted switching to the Curve at all. For the most part, its much more convenient, and more attractive-looking.

As for data, I don't see the point of having an expensive phone and not being able to use its features. I use my phone mainly for email.
    06-14-08 09:41 PM
    Can a person take advantage of the blackberry experience without purchasing the full Blackberry package?

IMO - No.

Having said that, you have to ask yourself the reason why you want to purchase a Curve or a Pearl. Every CrackBerry-a-holic will tell you the same: Get the Berry! It really doesn't matter which one you get. It's your preference. Now, Cough>>get Cough>the>Cough>curve
    06-14-08 10:14 PM
    as far as which device, take the one that feels the best, sounds the best and looks the best to you.

on the data plan, without it, its pretty much just a phone with a keyboard and there are several of those out there that are much cheaper... i dont see the point of having a bb without a data plan
    06-14-08 10:30 PM
    On vzw you have to have a data plan to have a berry. If your not comfortable playing with the operating system to free up memory, get a curve. They come with 3 times the free memory out of the box. I've had just about every vzw phone in the arsenal and had to get a berry for my job, my favorites were my envy and my razr.
    There is no comparison btwn phones and berrys.
    On vzw the package for dumb phone unlimited internet is the $15 vpack, then throw another $5 for email, the price gap isn't quite as big when you compare that way.
    If you've been stalking a BB for this long, might as well get one
    GL

06-14-08 11:12 PM
    Curve hands down. You won't regret it. I have had 4 different berries over the last 2 years and couldn't imagine trying to typw without the full qwerty keyboard. It's just so much easier. I find myself using it more often then my desktop or laptop to write quick emails. So much easier to type on the go around the office or even at home!!!

I thing everyone has the right idea about trying them both out first though but I think you'll find the Curve just fits better
    06-15-08 12:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD