Hi all!

I finally took the plunge about two weeks ago and made the switch from a "dumbphone" over to a smartphone. I've been thinking about it for quite some time, and I figured that now was as good of time as ever to make the switch, since I've been wanting to for quite some time. Now that I've graduated college and am working full time, what better way to spend my hard-earned money on, than that of a much more expensive phone and the addition of a data plan?

My last phone was the Motorola Razr V3c. I loved that phone, but I hated a few of the "features" of it - namely the fact that I couldn't specify a separate custom ringtone for text messages that was different from the ringtone for phone calls. They had to be one in the same, and it drove me crazy! I got tired of hearing my phone ring, and getting up from whatever it was that I was doing and running over to answer it, only to find out it was only a text message! Oh, and don't forget about the common bug that would cause the alarm clock to cease to go off most of the time on the weekendg (And no, it wasn't just me wanting to sleep in and accidentally shutting it off in my sleep! )

So, I decided to take the plunge and dive into the world of smartphones. I spent a considerable amount of time deciding between the Storm and the Curve, eventually settling for the Storm. I was well aware of the drawbacks and issues that the Storm had, but I've always been a fan of the touch-screen, and I just couldn't pass up the possibility to try it out. Plus, I figured that for only $60 more, I could get the phone for a 1-year contract instead of two, allowing me to cut the time in half with the phone, if I didn't like using it.

So far I've been quite pleased with the phone. I am a computer / software engineer by degree, so I've enjoyed playing with the intricacies of the phone, enjoying the "ins and outs" that my old phones didn't have. Once I find some time (once my summer classes for my Master's program close out), I'm going to have to get my hands on RIM's API and try my luck and programming a basic application for it. I've been looking for a media manager of-sorts - one where I can keep track of all of my movies, cds, etc (I hate going to the store and looking to buy a movie or CD, only to be unsure if I actually own it or not!). I haven't been able to find such an app yet, so I may have to see how hard it is to build a simple interface to a small backend database and build myself such an app.

Other than that introduction, I would just like to say that I'm looking forward to being an addicted member to this site. Since about a week before purchasing the phone, I spent countless hours perusing through the forum, reading up on as much information as I could. I'm still quite a "newbie" at the whole BB scene, but I'm looking forward to learning and enjoying my new toy!

06-09-09 12:51 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! Enjoy!
    06-09-09 12:58 AM
    Will do!
    06-09-09 01:12 AM
    06-09-09 03:26 AM
    Looks like we will need another space in the rehab section for this one...welcome to the addiction. And don't worry about the Storm, I haven't had any issues with mine since release in November 08! And I'm not the only one.
    06-09-09 03:36 AM
    Love my storm. I've had it over a month with no issues. This is my first time on Crackberry and I love this site as well. Now would I be a candidate for rehab if I check too see if my BB is next to me at night instead of my wife?...
    06-12-09 01:17 PM
    check in!! welcome to rehab!!

great place to be! im always here with my bb bold..
    06-14-09 01:08 AM