Hello everyone! I hate to post a thread like this, but I've been researching constantly and I can't take it anymore!!! I smashed my cell phone last week (LG VX8300), so I had no choice but to begin the journey to a new phone. I was very fond of that phone for some reason, and while I've flirted with the idea of getting a smartphone before, I'd never really seriously considered it. Then when I was researching, I started reading about the Storm. I've ALMOST convinced myself that I want it (I'm already a Verizon customer and am due for a contract renewal and New Every Two credit), but there's a little voice in my head that keeps saying....

Do you really NEED a Blackberry? Do you think you'll love it as much as you do in your fantasies of all the special times you and your Blackberry will share together? Or do you think maybe you should stick to what you know? Can you handle that touch screen? Do you want to pay more every month than you already do?

And then I think maybe I shouldn't get the Storm. I CAN'T DECIDE!!! I know it might be a little silly to ask, "Should I get a Blackberry?" on the Crackberry forums, but I guess I'm just looking for a little encouragement. So I have a few questions.

1. I've seen quite a few posts on these forums and other ones saying, "If you don't need constant access to e-mail, you should probably stick with a regular phone." Do you agree with that? I don't need constant access to my e-mail, but I use my phone for the internet, texting, games, and my appointments ALL the time. Would I benefit from having a Blackberry for those things? The reason I ask is because I know I don't NEED a Blackberry for those purposes, but I'm wondering if a Blackberry would fit those needs BETTER than a regular phone.

2. To all the Blackberry newbs, are you happy that you got one? Is there anyone out there who regrets it? Was it hard to adapt?

3. I am technologically savvy, but oddly, I'm resistant to change. Am I taking on too much by getting a device that will force me to adapt to a touch screen AND whole new OS? I'm afraid!

4. My bill would only go up by about $5 with the Blackberry, but it would go down by about $10 if I got a regular phone. Should I just stop being a baby about $15 a month? The only thing that gets me about the increased cost is the fact that it's NOT optional, meaning that if I'm ever financially strapped in the future, I won't just have the option to remove the data plan (which would be an option if I got a regular phone).

I'm obviously over analyzing, because that's what I do, all the time, about EVERYTHING. Does anyone have any opinions or reasons why I should/shouldn't get one? Please don't hurt me- I PROMISE I've spent many, many hours on this site and others educating myself. I'm just interested in some feedback on my personal situation.

Thanks everyone!
    11-18-08 04:56 PM
    For what you are using the phone for, I would say that the Storm is right for you!
    Go for it! And have fun trying to put the darn thing down. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-08 05:36 PM
    I dont use the email on my Black Berry Pearl but I use the internet and the applications and I'm texting all the time. Its such a reliable and user centric OS its great for many uses. True Black Berrys where created for email but they do a lot of other things well too. I would say you should go for the Black Berry worst case scenario you hate it and take it back within the month and switch phones which is free for the first 30 days.
    11-18-08 05:42 PM
    Yes, you should get a BlackBerry.

1. You may not need email and internet. So don't get it/pay for it. Many people do not have that option and it is their choice. Everything that you use your phone for will be so much better with a BB.

2. When I first got it, I loved it and was surprised how easy it was to learn. Have never regreted it!

3. As tech savvy as you think you are, you will not have any trouble. Even us that don't have that gift are fine.

4. Stop being a baby : )

I think you will be overly pleased with your new Storm. Go for! Once it is in your hands, you will never put it down.
    Good luck!
    11-18-08 06:25 PM
    I think a blackberry would be a great idea! I have a blackberry pearl 8130 which I purchased about two months ago. While I love my bb I am looking forward to upgrading to a curve or a bold. I want a bb with a full keyboard but any blackberry would be a great choice!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-08 07:34 PM
    A Blackberry smart phone is a great phone to have - whether you need it or not. :-) Isn't organizing your life a good enough reason?

I bought a BB very recently, and I love it. Never needed one before, but now don't know how I lived without it.

I have the BB Curve, as for me, a full keyboard is a must, as I text and email a lot.

The touch screen is the only caveat that I would suggest you really consider before you buy. I had a touch screen and wasn't happy with it - but again I text a lot. If you are OK texting via touch screen, then it's a good option for you.

Whatever you decide, you can't get a better phone, nor a better community than CB! :-)
    11-18-08 08:58 PM
    Hello everyone! I hate to post a thread like this, but I've been researching constantly and I can't take it anymore!!! I smashed my cell phone last week (LG VX8300), so I had no choice but to begin the journey to a new phone. I was very fond of that phone for some reason, and while I've flirted with the idea of getting a smartphone before, I'd never really seriously considered it. Then when I was researching, I started reading about the Storm. I've ALMOST convinced myself that I want it (I'm already a Verizon customer and am due for a contract renewal and New Every Two credit), but there's a little voice in my head that keeps saying....

Do you really NEED a Blackberry? Do you think you'll love it as much as you do in your fantasies of all the special times you and your Blackberry will share together? Or do you think maybe you should stick to what you know? Can you handle that touch screen? Do you want to pay more every month than you already do?

And then I think maybe I shouldn't get the Storm. I CAN'T DECIDE!!! I know it might be a little silly to ask, "Should I get a Blackberry?" on the Crackberry forums, but I guess I'm just looking for a little encouragement. So I have a few questions.

1. I've seen quite a few posts on these forums and other ones saying, "If you don't need constant access to e-mail, you should probably stick with a regular phone." Do you agree with that? I don't need constant access to my e-mail, but I use my phone for the internet, texting, games, and my appointments ALL the time. Would I benefit from having a Blackberry for those things? The reason I ask is because I know I don't NEED a Blackberry for those purposes, but I'm wondering if a Blackberry would fit those needs BETTER than a regular phone.

2. To all the Blackberry newbs, are you happy that you got one? Is there anyone out there who regrets it? Was it hard to adapt?

3. I am technologically savvy, but oddly, I'm resistant to change. Am I taking on too much by getting a device that will force me to adapt to a touch screen AND whole new OS? I'm afraid!

4. My bill would only go up by about $5 with the Blackberry, but it would go down by about $10 if I got a regular phone. Should I just stop being a baby about $15 a month? The only thing that gets me about the increased cost is the fact that it's NOT optional, meaning that if I'm ever financially strapped in the future, I won't just have the option to remove the data plan (which would be an option if I got a regular phone).

I'm obviously over analyzing, because that's what I do, all the time, about EVERYTHING. Does anyone have any opinions or reasons why I should/shouldn't get one? Please don't hurt me- I PROMISE I've spent many, many hours on this site and others educating myself. I'm just interested in some feedback on my personal situation.

Thanks everyone!
    Jenny...I take your are a female
    If so, take a look in your closet and tell me, do really need those 150 pairs of shoes?
    Storm=Do it....
    I don't "need" a BB but I want one and will get the Storm.
    Just teasing.....go for it
    11-18-08 09:38 PM
    Yes I need my BB and it is worth every penny I spend each month. Welcome to CB.
    11-18-08 11:53 PM
    Jenny...I take your are a female
    If so, take a look in your closet and tell me, do really need those 150 pairs of shoes?
    Storm=Do it....
    I don't "need" a BB but I want one and will get the Storm.
    Just teasing.....go for it
    Haha, surprisingly enough, I don't have 150 pairs of shoes. I won't even buy new clothes until the ones I have are busted up beyond repair.

Thanks for your replies everyone! I am a bit apprehensive about the touch screen since I do text a lot, but I'm hoping I can get used to it. I'm going to play with one at a store once they come out, so that either will or won't seal the deal. Here's hoping!
    11-19-08 12:09 AM
    I think you'll use it a lot. I use mine all the time for my appointments and texting...you'll never be able to go back!
    11-19-08 12:28 AM
    I'm not sure how it will only go up a few dollars, because the BB data plan is $30. Do you already have a $25 data plan? Keep in mind that it is mandatory to have the data feature on your account.

Whether you need Email or not, the BB and the internet can be a great tool. For the things you mentioned, the storm (with the exceptions of games as I don't know yet) will be awesome on the bold.

It's definitely not a need, but it's always good to get things that you want in life, especially if it is within budget.
    11-19-08 09:57 AM
    I'm not sure how it will only go up a few dollars, because the BB data plan is $30. Do you already have a $25 data plan? Keep in mind that it is mandatory to have the data feature on your account.
    The reason it will only go up slightly is because I'm on an older plan right now, with 900 anytime minutes for $59.99, plus $5 for mobile web (with time I spend using mobile web counting as airtime rather than data). It turns out that I typically only use about 200-300 peak minutes for actual calls, so I feel safe going with a 450-minute plan. So that will save me $20, and I won't be paying $5 for mobile web. With the BIS plan costing $30, it only increases my bill by $5/month. I'm not planning on getting BES since I don't have a need for it currently.
    11-19-08 02:16 PM
    Jenny~

I just recently switched to a BB (yesterday in fact) and I LOVE IT! Like you, I too was apprehensive at first about getting a BB, for the same reasons that you have pretty much.

I had a Sidekick prior, and though I loved having the full keyboard and internet access on my Sidekick, it froze a lot and I had a lot of issues not getting my messages with it. I too, did a lot of research prior to getting a BB. Even asked my sister (who was a die hard BB user, but recently switched to a Dash) about it and she recommended it for me.

I say go for it! You will love it! I don't know why I never used a BB before now...but glad I do now ^^
    11-19-08 03:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD