I am thinking of jumping ship to the BlackBerry platform, I have tried bb10 on the z10 and other Blackberry devices and overall I enjoyed the experience and it being based on QNX furthers my interest in it as I like all things UNIX. I have also seen various Internet videos and reviews of the Blackberry passport and overall it looks a device I would enjoy owning. I really like physical keyboards on phones, the design looks premium, the internal storage and specs are good, and I enjoy square aspect ratio screens. On a side note I really miss 5:4 monitors, I wish manufacturers would bring them back. Many users of Blackberry devices tell me they are better at phone calls than other devices, a feature modern smart and feature phones are lacking in. I have used Android extensively on tablets and it kinda bores and annoys me with its performance problems, ios and Windows Phone bore me with their simplicity. Unlike Tizen, Sailfish os, Ubuntu Touch, or Firefox os BB10 is relatively mature and has all the apps I use. In short the overall hardware and software package of Blackberry devices attract me. I have yet to own a smartphone carrying a tablet and a feature phone with a keyboard and BlackBerry might finally make me own one. I will probably buy a BlackBerry passport a few months from now when the price comes down, given that it is a popular device it should have deals available or another BlackBerry device if something exciting comes.
    Last edited by juliusaugustus; 12-11-14 at 02:06 PM.
    mnc76 and tomsobon like this.
    12-08-14 10:31 PM
    I'd like to join this thread.

I am using Windows Phone 8.1 on a Lumia 925 at the moment and I'm enormously fed up with 8.1's launching- and performance-issues. Nearly every app - even the most basic ones like music and calendar - need way (!) too long to load very often. The performance of rerunning apps from the task manager is beyond poor, I have to wait for up to 10 seconds to proceed with using an app.

This is accompanied by heavy issues in consuming music. The original music app has been rendered a complete mess and the whole community has been ******** and nagging about that even before the launch of 8.1. Nokia Play Music has become extremely unreliable, it hangs for seconds, skips are not executed and queue up (so that if you angrily hammer on the skip button it skips 10-20 times in a row after about 20-30 (!) seconds). Spotify is a cruel joke and does not even work as it is expected - its hanging very often too.

Considering that listening to music is one of my main scenarios of using my phone - I maintain the rage on a daily basis and every day a little more.

So now I give BB a chance, since the Z10 meanwhile is pretty affordable. I just dont like Android and also do not find an Android device that really turns me on, same with iOS, plus the iPhones are simply too expensive.

I really hope BB wont let me down in terms of performance and relyability!
    12-09-14 03:43 AM
    It's nice to see people joining the BlackBerry club. You two are welcome any time.

Miami Heat and GS Warriors fan.
    12-09-14 03:56 AM
    I really hope BB wont let me down in terms of performance and relyability!
    just watch out, buying a Z10 means buying an almost 2years old technology! I would suggest, if you want a touchscreen device, to buy a Z30 or wait until the CES conference in early January 2015 where we might see some new product from BlackBerry!
    mrfreeze likes this.
    12-09-14 04:14 AM
    @juliusaugustus

PASSPORT IS AWESOME! PERIOD!
    12-09-14 04:15 AM
    just watch out, buying a Z10 means buying an almost 2years old technology! I would suggest, if you want a touchscreen device, to buy a Z30 or wait until the CES conference in early January 2015 where we might see some new product from BlackBerry!
    I am aware of this, in fact its the same platform like the Lumia 925. Considering a newer device is not an option in terms of affordability, time, size - and the vague chances of a debut. And the Z30 doesn't turn me on at all...
    I'm sure that the performance of the Snap S4 still fits my needs, it perfectly did on WP 8.0 and still does on 8.1, loading issues aside. I do standard stuff with no exceptions, I dont even play games anymore.

Of course I dont know how newer iterations of BBOS will perform, 10.3.1 seems to run ok so far, but I'm ready to take this last little risk. I doubt it could become worse than on iOS or WP.
    12-09-14 10:21 AM
    I haven't played with Windows phone 8.1 very much, but I came from the Android market.
    I still use Android for work, but my daily driver is my Z30 .
    Welcome to the Blackberry forum.
    I've used my Z10 till recent. It is a great phone and with each new release of software it feels like a new phone.
    12-10-14 12:46 AM
    I've used Android and WP 7.5 fairly extensively, but I've been mainly a BlackBerry person for a long time.

BB10 is a bit different from other platforms, in terms of the user interface. It takes a little while to get used to the gestures, but once you do, you'll really enjoy the experience.

I do standard stuff with no exceptions, I dont even play games anymore.
    By "standard stuff" I'm going to assume you mean email, texting, messaging, calendar, web browsing, Facebook, Twitter, etc., navigation, photos, taking notes, and so on. If this is so, in a way it makes you the ideal user of BB10 devices, in a way. As you'll already have learned, the BB10 Hub puts all your emails, texts, calendar reminders, and even phone calls into a single view that you can access anytime, from within any app, simply by using the "peek" gesture. And you can choose what gets displayed in the Hub and what doesn't. For example, I prefer not to see my phone call records there.

If you're in an app, and you peek into the Hub and find something you need to deal with, you can simply complete the peek gesture and park the app in an active frame and go ahead and do what you need to do. The flow of action is very natural and smooth. And the parked app is right there on the main screen for you to get back to when you're ready.

All of this is well documented in reviews and videos. What's harder to convey is how pleasing a user experience it provides.

The only really problematic aspect of BB10 is the app situation. Yes, there are good native BB10 apps available, and BB10 can also run many Android apps, and the Amazon Android app store comes pre-installed. But, as you'll learn if you browse around here, not all Android apps work to the satisfaction of everyone, and some don't work at all. If that's an acceptable risk, you can look forward to a very enjoyable experience as a BlackBerry user.

For what it's worth, the Passport is the best smartphone I've ever used.
    12-10-14 09:01 AM
    I came back to BlackBerry when the Q10 came out. Best smartphone I've ever had (just bought the Passport but still getting used to it).

I am deaf/hard of hearing so my 'phone' is more of a text and email device. I use mostly ebook apps (B&N Note and Overdrive) for entertainment and can access any article on the Web. BlackBerry physical keyboards can't be beat. I tried Samsung (S2) and iPhone (3gs) but BB10 has been the most productive platform for me. Very easy to multitask.

I consider the complaints of BB10s lack of access to apps silly. It was an issue when I first got my Q10 but with SNAP (very easy to side load, lots of great guides here and on the web) and access to the Amazon app store this is no longer an issue. You can get anything the BlackBerry app store does not offer. I use an android app to a relay service that allows me to read what the other person is saying when I use the phone. Folks always comment on the clarity of the call.

It's been nearly two years since I returned and I have never regretted it.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 07:19 PM
    as bb club we would wlc everyone even Tim Cook
    12-10-14 07:30 PM
    There is plenty to like and admire about BB10 devices. They do many things out of the box that other platforms cannot, or need several apps to do. I'm a big fan of the BB keyboards and think the Passport is the most innovative and unique smartphone to be released in the past few years. If you decide to get a BlackBerry, I think you will enjoy it.

Sent from my Moto X 2nd Gen
    12-10-14 08:25 PM
    The only really problematic aspect of BB10 is the app situation.
    Thats true and no serious problem for me. In fact, I don't care about apps at all, still only standard stuff. Everything I need is available in BB World. Maybe I'll try out the Amazon and Google stores, but momentarily I dont even see a true need for me to install apps from there.

Thats why I can and DO give BB a chance.
    12-11-14 03:32 AM
    the new blackberry platform is very good, start with the z3, if u liked the blackberry 9.... then u will love the z3, stable and secure platform with a growing app ecosystem
    12-12-14 02:57 AM
    Welcome, and don't think, just do it!
    12-17-14 11:05 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! I'm sure you will enjoy BB if you make the switch.
    12-19-14 09:41 AM