Don't know if this has ever been asked.. but how does the "Holster" function work on Blackberries?

How does the phone know it's being holstered?

I've seen the settings in profiles for when "holstered", and have been wondering how this technology works? I mean there isn't anything electronic in the holsters, right? It's just plastic, so how does it work?

Also I've been hearing about "Sleeper magnet", what is that?

So far I only have a generic plastic holster that looks like the Seidio but it's a generic version that cost me only $7 at a local no name cell phone accessory store. When I put my phone in it and the backlight is on, as soon as I sit it in the bottom notches to click it in, the backlight goes out.

And with the OEM leather pouch, as soon as I slide it down into it, when it hits a certain point I can see the backlight go out. I'm assuming it's going into holster mode when these two things happen?

Thanks for your help in answering these questions in advance.
    09-01-08 02:22 AM
    It (the holster) has a magnet that the BB recognizes which activates sleep mode so your assumption is correct.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-08 02:39 AM
    Magnet & proximity sensor.

Lets start with the magnet 1st. Your BB sleeve has a magnet in it which when the BB is inserted puts your BB into sleeper mode. Sleeper mode prevents accidental key presses that would take place without your knowledge.

Proximity sensor - as your phone gets in range (proximity) of the magnet, it tell (sensor) your BB's backlight to shut off.

Don't know if this has ever been asked.. but how does the "Holster" function work on Blackberries?

How does the phone know it's being holstered?

I've seen the settings in profiles for when "holstered", and have been wondering how this technology works? I mean there isn't anything electronic in the holsters, right? It's just plastic, so how does it work?

Also I've been hearing about "Sleeper magnet", what is that?

So far I only have a generic plastic holster that looks like the Seidio but it's a generic version that cost me only $7 at a local no name cell phone accessory store. When I put my phone in it and the backlight is on, as soon as I sit it in the bottom notches to click it in, the backlight goes out.

And with the OEM leather pouch, as soon as I slide it down into it, when it hits a certain point I can see the backlight go out. I'm assuming it's going into holster mode when these two things happen?

Thanks for your help in answering these questions in advance.
    09-01-08 07:02 AM
    Wow, that's cool, I understand completely. Really cool technology if you ask me, even though it's simple.

And I thought magnets near cell phones were a bad thing. I thought it messed up the electronics inside the phone. Guess not.
    09-01-08 07:21 AM
    The magnet/sensor is only half the story. Invoking this mode shuts down about 80% of the phone and saves loads of battery. In Standby mode you can still receive call, emails, SMS and alarms, calender events, etc. but the keyborad is dead and the screen is dead.

Standby mode is a truly unique BlackBerry feature that has extended my phone's battery life from one to three days using a little program called AutoStandby. Ya'll can find it in the CrackBerry store for less than 5 bucks.
    09-01-08 07:32 AM
    Wow, thanks Pete for that additional info, I'm really getting a BB education on here! Glad to know that the holster mode does that much more and can really help out with life of battery.
    09-01-08 11:22 AM
    The magnet/sensor is only half the story. Invoking this mode shuts down about 80% of the phone and saves loads of battery. In Standby mode you can still receive call, emails, SMS and alarms, calender events, etc. but the keyborad is dead and the screen is dead.

Standby mode is a truly unique BlackBerry feature that has extended my phone's battery life from one to three days using a little program called AutoStandby. Ya'll can find it in the CrackBerry store for less than 5 bucks.
    Does this mean that "in holster" and "standby" mode are the same thing??? Is
    there any power saving advantages of one over the other???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-08 05:26 PM
    When I first learned of this feature I thought wow, that is slick! Just 1 of many features I never knew BB`s had.
    09-07-08 05:35 PM
    It saves a ton of battery (compared to regular phones that the backlight stays on)
    09-07-08 06:47 PM

You generally have the answer to most all of the questions here so... are you saying that "AutoStandby" would be a good thing to add in addition to the OEM holster (which I just received and LOVE)? Or is that the for the times when you have it out of the holster?
    09-07-08 06:48 PM
    My husband has a Pearl and I told him about the Holster function. He set it and it still ended up calling people without him knowing it. Any ideas?
    09-17-08 08:32 PM
    My husband has a Pearl and I told him about the Holster function. He set it and it still ended up calling people without him knowing it. Any ideas?
    09-17-08 08:36 PM
    when holstered, mine doesn't receive calls, even though I have it set to ring and tone on high in the settings. Doesn't even show a missed call.
    09-18-08 12:10 AM
    Speed dial
    Make a call using speed dial
    You can make a call using speed dial in the phone, on the Home screen, in a message list, or in an open message.
    Hold the key that you have assigned to the contact or phone number.
    Assign a speed dial number to a key
    1. In the phone, press the Menu key.
    2. Click View Speed Dial List.
    3. Click an unassigned key.
    4. Click New Speed Dial.
    5. Click a contact.

Turn on dialing from the Lock screen
    1. In the device options, click Security Options.
    2. Click General Settings.
    3. Set the Allow Outgoing Calls While Locked field to Yes.
    4. Press the Menu key.
    5. Click Save.
    Speed dial is the culprit. Most likley the numbers assigned to the bottom row of keys.

If keeping speed dial is important, you can set holster mode to Locked and set Allow Outgoing to OFF.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-18-08 at 12:43 PM.
    09-18-08 12:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD