Hi I just got my first BB Pearl, and I am not sure if I have GPS or not. I have this application called Telenav (never used though), does that mean I do. I am trying to use the MyPoynt application, and I am wondering if it is not working because I don't have GPS.

Thanks so much.
    Last edited by FLRich23; 09-15-08 at 01:50 PM.
    09-15-08 01:43 PM
    Your phone definitely has GPS capabilities. I'm not sure as to whether or not Alltel limits the use of GPS on your phone depending on apps, etc. You should call your service provider to find out your phones full capabilities according to the plan you have.
    09-15-08 02:09 PM
    Thanks so much. I found out that MyPoynt doesn't have access to Alltel's or Verizon's GPS.
    09-15-08 03:34 PM
    You have to subscribe, download and use Telenav once, to enable the GPS for other apps. Then you cancel your subscription to Telenav. Here's a thread that documents it. It's not cheating Alltel; it's just enabling your GPS.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f72/alltel-gps-58556/
    09-15-08 03:39 PM
    Jeff, so this is something that wouldn't work for vzw right? Like if I downloaded vz nav, used it for a day, cancelled it, my gps wouldn't work the next day with different programs would it?
    09-15-08 03:46 PM
    Jeff, so this is something that wouldn't work for vzw right? Like if I downloaded vz nav, used it for a day, cancelled it, my gps wouldn't work the next day with different programs would it?
    No, it wouldn't work. In fact, Verizon doesn't allow you to use the internal GPS in Verizon BlackBerries with 3rd party apps, even if you have a subscription to VZNav. Now that Verizon is buying Alltel, it will be interesting to see if they similarly restrict Alltel.
    09-15-08 03:49 PM
    I bet they will. I work with vzw sales reps and bust their chops about it and they just laugh and agree its about $. vz nav is a pretty good app though. just stinks to pay fo rit. Thanks again for your help.
    09-15-08 04:10 PM
    Yes, VZNav gets very good reviews. I would not mind paying for it. After all, it's Verizon's intellectual property, they can charge whatever they want for it. It's good enough that it would probably sell on its own merits. My only complaint is that they block a capability that the manufacturer puts in the phone. But that's a whole other thread, we don't need to reprise it here. If you're interested you can read about it here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/gps...0-update-1279/
    09-15-08 04:20 PM
    Ok I'm still a little confused. I could swear that there was an ad in the Verizon store that said the 8330 came with GPS.

Also....what could I use the GPS for other than getting direction? I know, total newbie question. LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-08 04:37 PM
    The 8330 does come with GPS. You just can't use it with any application other than VZNav, for an additional $10/month subscription. Which most people say is worth it.

GPS is useful for knowing where you are, as well as getting directions. There are apps that will tell you the nearest restaurant, the closest gas station, or hospital, for example. To use those apps with a Verizon phone, you have to buy an external GPS puck. Verizon won't allow you to use them with the internal GPS, even if you buy the subscription to VZNav. That's the reason a lot of people are annoyed.
    09-15-08 04:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD