Hi,

I've been thinking about getting a blackberry for about a month now, the phone I've got now is really starting to irritate me with its constant crashing, erroring, promises of third party apps with no delivery and short battery life (bonus points if you can guess which phone )

I'm on sprint and I'm thinking of getting a Curve, of course. Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

1. How is the battery life of the Curve when being used in data intensive apps (say, using Slacker when going for a walk or browsing the web)? My current phone gets about an hour and a half in Sprint radio before it goes into "limp home" no-app battery low mode for another TWO (!) hours.

2. How does the BlackBerry handle low battery? I'm hoping for a compromise between the two hours of red flashing battery of my current phone and listening to the radio and having the damn thing be like "BATTERY DEAD. CHARGE NOW." and dying.

3. Can it do multiple things at once (background tasks)? Like listening to the radio and browsing the web (on EVDO of course). The phone I have now really can't.

4. How does it fare as a music player? IF you couldn't already tell, I'm gonna be using it for radio and music. Speaking of which, it does have the Sprint Radio app, right? If not, I can probably get by with slacker, pandora and iheartradio, but the commercial-freeness of Sprint Radio is a plus.

5. Can it receive calls and do data at the same time if I'm in a dual 1x-EvDo area? My current phone can't (and I know if you're in a 1x area it's a network limitation that keeps it from getting calls while using data).

Thanks in advance.
    06-20-09 01:17 AM
    Simultaneous browsing and phone usage no problem, but no BlackBerry Messenger or emails while on phone. An incoming phone call will trump whatever services are active and give you a chance to answer the call.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-09 08:13 AM
    I play on the internet all the time on my Curve & usually charge it twice a week. I've put my own music on it simply by dragging & dropping to my SD card (I only use DM for backups) so adding your own music shouldn't be a problem. I think you'll be fine, just get a big enough memory card for your own music & you can still rock the other music options too.

06-20-09 09:08 AM
    Well I took the plunge. Grabbed one off of eBay. Wish me luck .
    06-20-09 03:52 PM
    Was it a samsung?

06-20-09 03:54 PM
    Was it a samsung?

Yep, you guessed it... a certain touch-screen samsung that was full of empty promises. When the latest update came out and broke pandora, and made the pocket express app crash constantly with the only way to fix being a forced download from a strange URL that was it for me.
    06-20-09 04:09 PM
    I'm Korean and I have to admit that I'll NEVER get a Samsung phone device, especially something made for work intensive use. Their TV and other equipments are quite excellent but their machines requiring some better interfaces are aweful. Technically speaking (hardware wise), their phones are very appealing though.
    06-23-09 05:58 PM
    I'm Korean and I have to admit that I'll NEVER get a Samsung phone device, especially something made for work intensive use. Their TV and other equipments are quite excellent but their machines requiring some better interfaces are aweful. Technically speaking (hardware wise), their phones are very appealing though.

Yep. My biggest complaint about the thing (after no thirdparty app support, of course) was the way the battery meter worked. If I was doing something that hit the data radio hard, and I was getting close to being done with my battery, the thing would be like BATTERY LOW and kick me out of the app. Then, once i'm out of the app, it'd go back to 60%! Until I tried using data again of course, lol.

Anyways, I got my Berry in today, and I can't seem to figure out how to separate SMS'es from emails. I've been all through the settings menu. Any help?
    06-24-09 06:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD