Hi all - new here and to the world of BB's in general. Been surrounded by them, of course, and played with the occasional one for a second or two, but never owned one. About to take the plunge!, on Sprint. I have used Palm OS and WM devices as well as the iPhone, so no stranger to various smartphones, but am well aware the BB is vastly different... have been lurking here for a while and soaking up knowledge to try and be ready, but finally registered a couple of days ago so I could post if/when needed.

As said, network already a done deal (Sprint)... only thing I need to decide is which handset, Curve or Pearl. I know they're very different animals and each has its fans for different reasons. I love the look and size of the Pearl (tho' not wild about Sprint's color choices), and even think I'd like the SureType system... I'm just not 200% sold on the smaller screen, coming from larger-screen devices. The Curve has the larger screen, but that's all that appeals to me about it. Any sales pitches from veterans? Like, any can't-live-without apps available for one and not the other?
    05-29-09 08:10 AM
    The Curve is a very solid phone inside and out. If you think the pearl would work better for you though, I would go for it. I love the full keyboard on the curve and I love the bigger screen. Also if I am not sadly mistaken I think the curve also has more device memory on it than the pearl.
    05-29-09 08:21 AM
    Get a Curve has everything that the Pearl does without the memory problems and week long period where you will hate your keyboard but either are good choices. Welcome to CB!
    05-29-09 08:22 AM
    Thanks thinkamp and Seraph. Any input on call signal strength/clarity of one vs. the other? I mean, actual use of it as a phone counts too.
    05-29-09 08:38 AM
    Thanks thinkamp and Seraph. Any input on call signal strength/clarity of one vs. the other? I mean, actual use of it as a phone counts too.
    Welcome to CB! As far as call signal & performance of the actual phone, it would be th same on either because those things are dependent on your network
    If you want a small simple blackberry the pearl is the way to go. If you're going to use it a lot for texting & emailing you may want the full qwerty keyboard. If you plan to download a ton of apps you want more memory & I agree w/ Thinkamp I believe th curve has more of it. Either way you'll probably b very happy w/ any BB.
    Make sure to check out the tutorials here to learn as much as you can so when you get your BB you'll be ready. There's so much to learn. Enjoy CB!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 08:48 AM
    I would suggest a Curve, but if you can hold out, at some point later in the year Sprint will launch the 9630.
    05-29-09 08:58 AM
    Hi all - new here and to the world of BB's in general. Been surrounded by them, of course, and played with the occasional one for a second or two, but never owned one. About to take the plunge!, on Sprint. I have used Palm OS and WM devices as well as the iPhone, so no stranger to various smartphones, but am well aware the BB is vastly different... have been lurking here for a while and soaking up knowledge to try and be ready, but finally registered a couple of days ago so I could post if/when needed.

As said, network already a done deal (Sprint)... only thing I need to decide is which handset, Curve or Pearl. I know they're very different animals and each has its fans for different reasons. I love the look and size of the Pearl (tho' not wild about Sprint's color choices), and even think I'd like the SureType system... I'm just not 200% sold on the smaller screen, coming from larger-screen devices. The Curve has the larger screen, but that's all that appeals to me about it. Any sales pitches from veterans? Like, any can't-live-without apps available for one and not the other?
    First off, welcome to CB! It's great to have you here. Both devices you mentioned are great BlackBerry devices. Hard to go wrong with either one.
    The Pearl is a good phone and lots of people like it's size and form factor. One of the draw backs is it's SureType keyboard, although some people love it. The Pearl Flip is a good device too.
    The Curve 8900 is a great device. Great form factor, great screen, and super quick. It has a ton of memory for 3rd party applications and other things like pics and music.
    It's really hard to go wrong with either device as both are very good. If you have any specific questions feel free to post them and we'll get them answered. Again, welcome to CrackBerry.
    05-29-09 09:02 AM
    The Curve is a much more robust phone. The only reason to go with the Pearl would be the smaller size. Might also be a good idea to wait till the Tour (9630) or Pearl Flip (8230) are released on Sprint. The Pearl Flip has a bigger screen than the regular Pearl and a better processor and more memory.
    05-29-09 09:02 AM
    I would say curve. Having used both I am partial to the curve. It all depends on the carrier tho. Check out the how to posts and forums. Good luck and welcome to CB!
    05-29-09 09:17 AM
    First of wll welcome to crackberry! I would suggest the curve if you really wanna get a bb now. Larger screen, more memory (which is gonna be a big plus if your into applications) and full keyboard. I've owned both and can say I truly love my curve, pearl was not bad either but overall I give the curve the edge. Here's some more opinions on this issue in other threads...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/pear...ht=pearl+curve
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/tho...l-well-236589/
    05-29-09 09:23 AM
    Since you are usings Sprint, I'm assuming that you are looking at the 8130 Pearl vs. the 8330 Curve (not the 8900 as CX mentioned earlier). I used to have the 8330 on Sprint and absolutely loved the phone itself as it was solid as a rock!

The major selling point for the Curve over the Pearl for Sprint is the fact that the Curve is an EVDO phone, which means the data service will be significantly faster than on the Pearl (which is not an EVDO phone). That's the only other difference that I haven't seen anyone adress here yet. Welcome to the community!
    05-29-09 09:27 AM
    I personally really like my Pearl. It's a very solid phone, although I haven't used the Curve; I suspect I'd like that as well.

Here's another link to some recent info from fellow Pearl lovers:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/pear...anyone-235275/
    05-29-09 09:27 AM
    Hey and welcome! I started and currently using the pearl. It is a great starter BB. I have had no issues with mine. I have had mine for almost a year now and am ready to upgrade to a newer and higher end phone. So if you have had other smart phones in the past I would say go with the curve or if possible hold out a few months for the new models coming out! Eithe way you will be addicted in no time!! Enjoy!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 10:54 AM
    Go with the curve! qwerty keyboard is the best. All blackberries are user frriendly, the curve is no exception. My wife has the pearl and is threatening to steal my curve 8900!!!
    05-29-09 01:54 PM

I personally would suggest the curve.

Just because I am a fan of having a full qwerty KB. Suretype is ok but sometimes it can be a pain if your trying to type something exact
    05-29-09 05:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD