Hi Im new i need some clarifications...

From my understanding i can use BB messenger using a black berry with any carrier around the globe as long as i have a data plan with the carrier is that right? [Even if such carrier doesn't provide blackberry i could get an unlocked one and put a SIM from the carrier i suppose]

I don't need anything like an specific special blackberry data pla do i? Just any data plan will do fine?

Also would i be able to access other blackberry things like internet and such?

Thanks
    04-17-08 05:30 PM
    Blackberry's actually do have their own data type plan, and most carriers do offer this.

But you are correct that you would want a data plan, and then you can use BBM to communicate with anyone with a BB
    04-17-08 05:31 PM
    Blackberry's actually do have their own data type plan, and most carriers do offer this.

But you are correct that you would want a data plan, and then you can use BBM to communicate with anyone with a BB
    So it would not work with a generic data plan? I need to get an specific one for blackberry?

Is there anywhere i can look up how much data BB messenger uses up... i know it varies but i would like a reference point.

Thanks for the help.
    04-17-08 05:38 PM
    i am not sure there is a way to see how much it uses up. what are the options on your carrier?
    04-17-08 05:42 PM
    Well what i want to do is the following: i want to use a blackberry so my family at home (another country) can use BB messenger to communicate with me while the would only be charged for the data package.

I was thinking of seeing the data plan costs each of the 3 main carriers and going with the cheapest one. However only 1 of these 3 carrier offers a blackberry specific data plan (the only one who sell blackberry too).

My original intent was to get an unlocked BB and but in a SIM with the cheapest carrier with a data plan. Now from my understanding of you posts that woulnt work since not just any data plan would do. So i would be stuck with only one option.

Here is what the carrier offers for the blackberry plan:

Cost of plan Extra kb
    3MB 21,00 0,00687

500MB 49,00 0,00034

2GB 95,00 0,00025

This is not in american currency but hopefully you have an idea. Im not really willing to pay for the 2GB since its too expensive and i think 2Gb is probably overkill.

3 MB is the cheapest, but i have no idea if it will be enough since i dont know how much data BB messenger consumes.

EDIT:

The idea really behind this whole this is to circumvent international SMS which by the same company is charge at about 0,138 EACH wich is a lot if you plan to do a lot of texting.
    Last edited by gaps89; 04-17-08 at 06:06 PM.
    04-17-08 05:59 PM
    Welcome 2 CB!
    04-17-08 11:05 PM
    Welcome to CB!
    04-17-08 11:19 PM
    welcome to cb
    04-18-08 12:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD