Been persuaded over here by TMag2005 as we frequent another well known phone forum. Had a BB 7100x, always wanted a 8700g and yesterday, got one! Pure excitement!
    Done most phones in my time- they normally last about a month then get I get bored - persuade me otherwise with the BB!!
    Doug
    03-30-07 05:24 AM
    Welcome Doug - Managed to get you to grab a peak...Good on you.

As for the persuasion....As i advised...get teh BB Data Plan with Orange...Give em a call and you will not ever put it down!

Welcome and keep crackin'
    03-30-07 05:48 AM
    Welcome Doug!

Yeah, the 8700 is a great unit. I really enjoy mine! And you really should at least try out the data plan, it really brings your 8700 to life.

Glad to have you here
    03-30-07 06:03 AM
    Thanks guys, nice friendly place. Will look at your suggestions. How would this data plan work in with my 120 mins/month with PAYG data plan I have with Orange at the moment? Does this replace your original plan or is it in addition to it? Excuse the newbie BB questions!
    Doug
    Last edited by dougproctor; 03-30-07 at 06:57 AM. Reason: added some questions
    03-30-07 06:26 AM
    ...in 'addition to'. Even with my voice plan, I pay an extra $29.99 for UNLIMITED BB DATA! It's brilliant, Cingular (American provider) charge $44.99 for unlimited. Why so expensive is beyond me...
    03-30-07 07:00 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry Doug!
    03-30-07 07:04 AM
    Thanks for the info and the welcome. I'll just lurk for a while and see what goes on. Nice site. It's raining in the UK, as usual......
    Doug
    03-30-07 07:39 AM
    Welcome Doug..... Enjoy!
    03-30-07 08:07 AM
    Thanks guys, nice friendly place. Will look at your suggestions. How would this data plan work in with my 120 mins/month with PAYG data plan I have with Orange at the moment? Does this replace your original plan or is it in addition to it? Excuse the newbie BB questions!
    Doug

I think the reason you got rid of the 7100x you had was because you didnt have a data plan.

Fatreg would answer whether you could add the the BB (APN ) Settings to what you have currently....

But if possible its worth having thre BB with just DATA without Voice....

YOu know where i am if you need to discuss this in person.....
    03-30-07 10:18 AM
    Thanks guys, cheers Tom and nice to speak to you in person, as well. Get it tomorrow now so the learning process starts then! Know where to come for advice.
    Doug
    04-01-07 08:58 AM
    Welcome to the Wonderful World of BB, Doug!

Glad that tmag was able to get you to come over here - I love my 8700! I have had Treos, Pocket PCs, of course many cell phones (I'm a self proclaimed gadget nut as are many of us)...nothing comes close to this wonderful device called the BB!

Enjoy
    04-01-07 05:22 PM
    Hi MMB916. Well, got it today and just love the interface, screen and the ease of use. So many things to change, makes Windows Mobile look noddy!
    Went into Orange shop today to look at data plans and she was trying to flog me a 17.50 one. Now, I already have a 120 minute call package with 30 texts a month so what would I need? I suppose I can't ditch that and do a full calls, texts, internet package only? Don't really want to pay that much on top of my monthly plan!
    Doug
    04-02-07 02:26 PM
    I think you are best to ring up orange, as they offer two packages for data (i think the 17.50 is the most expensive) tariff, but i have to say Doug, its still a bargain price and would fully recommend the BB Data...

Go on take the plunge. Press Redial - Ask the BB Data Plan (APN for Blackberry)

You wont regret it....
    04-02-07 02:33 PM
    Cheers Tom. Will give them a ring tomorrow. I believe they are doing a half price data deal but you have to sign up for 18 months. I never have my phone for 18 days, let alone 18 months!! But I might make an exception for this beauty! Just got Desktop Manager installed and synched so feeling much happier. Pity is has no voice dialling, really happy bunny then.
    Doug
    Doug
    04-02-07 03:07 PM
    Ah Doug...so much to learn...Just wait till i show you how to upgrade the OS - Actualy forget that, cos i dd it already on that one you have there....but i can show you anyway

But i have to say you have 14 days to atleast test the data bolt on. So try that. You will love it.....
    04-02-07 03:51 PM
    On my current Service plan, I have access to Orange World Access where I can get 4Mb data for 4 and 10Mb data for 8. Can this be used with a Blackberry or is this just for GPRS data only? Seems a much better deal than 6Mb for 17.50.
    Also probably now going to sell my SPV M600 with TomTom and a GPS receiver because of this Blackberry thing!! Love it so much......
    Doug
    Last edited by dougproctor; 04-03-07 at 05:15 PM.
    04-03-07 04:57 PM
    Doug

I believe if you have Orange World Access - you just need to ring up Orange and say you want to be able to use BlackBerry. They should be able to do 10mb data usage for 8 per month. Sounds like the shop were trying to get you to buy more than you need....

Just make sure you say you need the APN Seeting for Blackberry usage added to your account.

As for selling your M600...*cough cough* Your addiction to Blackberry is growing fast.
    04-04-07 03:12 AM
    Rang Orange - got put through to an overseas location. The guy knew less than me about data plans and I had so much trouble trying to get to speak to a "real person" anyway! For this, press this etc etc.
    Anyway, tried to flog me the 17.50 bundle again which I do not want and he knew nothing about what the cheaper bundles were all about. WOS!!
    With my 25 a month phone/text bundle, don't want to spend that much on top.
    Any ideas? Still love the BB, selling my M600 now. What have I done?
    Doug
    04-04-07 03:04 PM
    Rang Orange - got put through to an overseas location. The guy knew less than me about data plans and I had so much trouble trying to get to speak to a "real person" anyway! For this, press this etc etc.
    Anyway, tried to flog me the 17.50 bundle again which I do not want and he knew nothing about what the cheaper bundles were all about. WOS!!
    With my 25 a month phone/text bundle, don't want to spend that much on top.
    Any ideas? Still love the BB, selling my M600 now. What have I done?
    Doug
    Doug, speak to Fatreg (Colin). He will have the right number to call.....I was with him when he did it and it was over in 3 mins flat....
    04-04-07 03:24 PM
    Hi all again,
    Do I understand right that Orange (UK) are considering a data plan for 8 a month? I have read that somewhere but now can't find it. I sold my BB because Orange wouldn't come down from a 17.50 dataplan but if Orange are planning this, I think I will be back! Love that BB, just the horrendous prices on top of a voice/sms package I already have!
    May see you soon
    Doug
    04-25-07 09:42 AM
    Doug,

If you want expensive data/phone rates... Move to Canada

Very expensive over here to run our BB's.
    04-25-07 11:06 AM
    I think that's a bit extreme, Jimmy. Love your scenery though! Always wanted to go to Canada.
    Regards
    Doug
    04-25-07 01:09 PM
    Hi all again,
    Do I understand right that Orange (UK) are considering a data plan for 8 a month? I have read that somewhere but now can't find it. I sold my BB because Orange wouldn't come down from a 17.50 dataplan but if Orange are planning this, I think I will be back! Love that BB, just the horrendous prices on top of a voice/sms package I already have!
    May see you soon
    Doug
    That is correct - i heard the same. Be nice to have you back Doug. Shame you went really. I didnt much at the time, but hey each to their own. Its good to seem that after you have had some many phones the BB sticks....
    04-25-07 02:08 PM
    Been looking at the 8800 Tom. Like a camera though and Wifi! The Pearl has a camera. Decisions, decisions......
    May be back soon. By the way, my other problem is hopefully sorted. Thanks.
    Doug
    04-26-07 02:17 PM
    Doug

Perhaps you should do some looking at

Blackberry 8300 - will have 2mb and WiFi!

But i have ordered the 8800 and not a camera man (i have proper cameras i use) or perhaps the UK will get the 8830 (Wifi-supposedly)

Have a peep. But i think you would enjoy the Pearl - just check out you can get on with SureType. I think when you had the 7100x you liked it...

Regards
    04-26-07 02:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD