Watch out, it's a long one. I have to admit -- I've never found a phone (including the Jesusph..er, iPhone, that I went and joined a forum to rave about.)

So, here's my little story. I picked up the new (sadly 2G) Curve 8900 and I've never used a BlackBerry before today. I'm admittedly computer/tech-savvy and had always leaned towards Apple because I use their computer products. Well, after getting so unbelievably fed up with AT&T's customer service that I had to leave, iPhone or not, I ended up at my old friend T-Mobile.

Now, this was a customer-service based decision, as I had had them before and they are great from my experience. Also, the newer Curve had just hit, reviews of the Storm were mostly saying still glitchy, and ATT's Bold was just not an option for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I've spent hours fiddling with the 8900, and I've got everything I want working. It's fantastic. Even an ssh client, which is great. Havent tried syncing it yet on Linux, we'll see. Camera is a little getting used to, probably because it's got a lot more control than the janky iPhone camera.

It's got just as much fit and finish as the iPhone, I'm not wholly locked into the Apple ecosystem, I even copied my old ringtones over USB no sweat (and some initial documents and videos). Everything just works, except a minor glitch or two with Documents, but meh. Overall I think I've used more messaging on this device in the past two hours than I have in the past two months on the iPhone. Why? Easy.

* MMS! Oh my god. So nice to have back.
    * Email that doesn't suck. The email interface on the iPhone is kind of lacking.
    * Keyboard. I love it. It's like every key (the alt-keys placement) was very thoughtfully and efficiently placed.
    * Expandable storage! 16GB cards are what, $50-$60? That's nothing when you compare what Apple charges for the same amount/difference in storage.
    * Not having to use iTunes for everything!
    * Blackberry Messenger and IM capability in general -- awesome to have working reliably again!
    * viigo -- NICE!

There's a lot more, if anyone is curious about differences or what's annoying on either in comparison, PM me or something. In any case -- I'm hooked.

Cheers
    02-24-09 11:24 PM
    Cheers m8 and Welcome! I also switched from the iPhone to the BB Bold and I couldn't be happier
    02-24-09 11:30 PM
    I was really struggling between the iPhone and the Curve and ended up choosing the Curve in the end. It's amazing how much you can do with a little configuration and research. Welcome!
    02-25-09 12:05 AM
    I also came from an IPhone. I miss the browser and the music player but I guess I can let that slide when I have all the other things that my 8900 can do that my iPhone doesn't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 12:14 AM
    I was actually deciding between the iphone and BB Bold. I went in with the intention of getting the BOLD but when I saw the million iphones with the TV screens showing how great it was, I almost went astray. Then, it felt like someone hit me with a PING! and I was snapped back to reality. LOL. Got the BOLD about 2 weeks ago. In LOVE with it.
    02-25-09 01:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD