Hi guys,

I have had my bb for only about 2 weeks, but I have already used a ton of great information that I have found here at crackberry.

I am in need of some help. I can't get the add custom tune feature to work. The first time I tried it, I had no ringtone at all. I did a battery pull and had ringtones, but I can't assign a custom one...not even one that came with the device. I have tried setting it both through profiles and the address book. I am using version 4.2 of the software.

Thanks so much!

Beck
    08-16-08 10:25 PM
    Did you read the 101 stuff on here? Lots of good info.
    I take it you want to assign a custom tone to a contact? First, make sure they're listed in your contacts INCLUDING the area code of their #'s,
    Now open your address book, highlight the contact you want to customize, hit the berry button, highlight add custom ring, follow the drop menu to the tone you want,select it and hit ok, I would recommend doing all of this with your normal or loud profile active, it's bad form to have AC/DC kick out in a meeting when your berry's on vibrate.
    And welcome to crackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-08 12:33 AM
    Hi and thanks!

I did read the 101....I even reset all my tones and exceptions and it will still only play the default phone tone. Is it possible that while moving stuff around in the media manager or elsewhere that I have "lost" a system file?
    08-17-08 12:38 AM
    I take it you tried to put some custom tones on?
    Memory card?
    If so how did you get them?
    When you do corrupt a profile, it will lock it on you for editing.
    Is this a new profile or existing?
    Try this go to profiles and select loud, once that's active, try to assign a tone from your preloads to a contact.

08-17-08 12:54 AM
    I take it you tried to put some custom tones on?
    Memory card?
    If so how did you get them?
    When you do corrupt a profile, it will lock it on you for editing.
    Is this a new profile or existing?
    Try this go to profiles and select loud, once that's active, try to assign a tone from your preloads to a contact.

Yes, I did put custom tones on, downloaded from phonezoo, here, and tuneusin. I do have a 2 gig memory card in. I had originally put the tones on there, but moved them to device memory via the media manager. I was using the loud profile, but last night, I created a new one and it still would not work. Whether it's an existing profile or a new one, even a preloaded tone will not work.

I sure hope someone can figure out what the heck I have done. lol
    08-17-08 09:50 AM
    I am really not wanting to install 4.5 just yet...I am scared I will really mess something up. So how can i reinstall the version I already have?

Thanks!
    08-17-08 10:01 AM
    Ok, you my friend, have a corrupt ringtone and have now corrupted some profiles!
    Here we go, go to profiles>advanced, scroll on down to your freshly created exceptions and one by one hit the berry button and select delete, then highlight your newly created profile and select delete. Pull your battery, wait 30 seconds and put it back in.
    Now connect to desktop manager and open roxio, go to the tone section of your phone, all the tones you put on, highlight and delete, nuke em all...now, disconnect and do another battery pull, if you don't have a bunch of schtuff loaded on your card, i'd go ahead and reformat that too when your phone boots back up.
    OK, you should be fresh as a daisy now, make sure your loud profile active, open up your contacts, highlight one of them, hit the berry button, highlight "add custom ring" and select you should get a confirmation, go back to profiles, select advanced and there should be an exception for your newly selected contact.
    If everything's good, you can start looking at adding some custom tones, I always leave them on my card, save them as mp3's, and use drm free music when I make my tones. Also try to avoid looooong names and symbols in the titles of your tones.
    Please post back with what happens....
    GL
    08-17-08 10:32 AM
    I am really not wanting to install 4.5 just yet...I am scared I will really mess something up. So how can i reinstall the version I already have?

Thanks!
    , let's not get all carried away. fix what you have first....
    08-17-08 10:33 AM

Thanks!
    I definitley do not that recomend as well. Wait until you have a better understanding of how your BlackBerry works...
    08-17-08 10:37 AM
    I would also store all ringtones on the card & not the device. You will run out of memory very quick.

Hello & welcome to the addiction!!!
    08-17-08 11:13 AM
    Ok, you my friend, have a corrupt ringtone and have now corrupted some profiles!
    Ok. I do not have good news. lol I did what you said and it still didn't work. So I went searching some more around here and came across instructions on how to do a wipe and reinstall my OS. I did that and everything went smoothly, except for now, I am missing my browser....argh! Custom tones are not worth all this...so if someone will tell me how to get my browser back, I will leave it all alone...I swear!

Thanks guys for all your help!
    08-17-08 11:54 AM
    I would also store all ringtones on the card & not the device. You will run out of memory very quick.

Hello & welcome to the addiction!!!

Thanks! I am definitely addicted already. However, sadly, I am giving up ringtones asap. LOL
    08-17-08 11:56 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!

08-17-08 11:57 AM
    Ok. I do not have good news. lol I did what you said and it still didn't work. So I went searching some more around here and came across instructions on how to do a wipe and reinstall my OS. I did that and everything went smoothly, except for now, I am missing my browser....argh! Custom tones are not worth all this...so if someone will tell me how to get my browser back, I will leave it all alone...I swear!

Thanks guys for all your help!
    Go to Options, Advanced Options, Host Routing Table, then hit Menu, Register now. Should fix you right up.
    08-17-08 11:57 AM
    You are a lifesaver!
    08-17-08 12:10 PM
    Welcome to CB.
    08-17-08 01:00 PM
    Oh sure, I write a novel and chaz comes along on his white horse with the long drawn out, "provision your books", now he's the knight in shining armor.

Glad you got it, now, you know you're a chicken if you don't go to the ringtone section and pop one on your card.

You're my hero chaz,,,geez

08-17-08 01:30 PM
    Oh sure, I write a novel and chaz comes along on his white horse with the long drawn out, "provision your books", now he's the knight in shining armor.

Glad you got it, now, you know you're a chicken if you don't go to the ringtone section and pop one on your card.

You're my hero chaz,,,geez
    Awww fonebrkr, I'm sorry...you were the first to my rescue and I appreciate your help tremendously!

Because I can never leave well enough alone and am a true gadget junkie, I had to keep digging to see why in the world after all I had done everything you said and a complete wipe, why it still wouldn't work. Let's face it, the preloaded tunes suck and I couldn't imagine being limited to just those....but I digress.

Anywho, turns out it is MY FAVES that is the culprit here. When I went to my daughter's icon to put her picture back I noticed that it had a default setting already there for a custom tone and it was set to the t-jingle. So I went into the address book and made it the same and VOILA! The my faves tune was confusing the whole process.

So now I CAN go and download some tunes. lol That whole swearing off of ringtones thing...I had my fingers crossed behind my back

Thanks again guys!
    08-17-08 01:44 PM
    Awww fonebrkr, I'm sorry...you were the first to my rescue and I appreciate your help tremendously!

Because I can never leave well enough alone and am a true gadget junkie, I had to keep digging to see why in the world after all I had done everything you said and a complete wipe, why it still wouldn't work. Let's face it, the preloaded tunes suck and I couldn't imagine being limited to just those....but I digress.

Anywho, turns out it is MY FAVES that is the culprit here. When I went to my daughter's icon to put her picture back I noticed that it had a default setting already there for a custom tone and it was set to the t-jingle. So I went into the address book and made it the same and VOILA! The my faves tune was confusing the whole process.

So now I CAN go and download some tunes. lol That whole swearing off of ringtones thing...I had my fingers crossed behind my back

Thanks again guys!
    I'm glad to hear you dug in, you know,, now that your OS is on your pc, you could unlock some vendor themes, delete some preloads and free up some memory..
    I'm sure chaz could help you out if there's any problems...lol

Geez.

08-17-08 01:55 PM
    I'm glad to hear you dug in, you know,, now that your OS is on your pc, you could unlock some vendor themes, delete some preloads and free up some memory..
    I'm sure chaz could help you out if there's any problems...lol

Geez.
    I am scared to touch anything else. lol And I don't have a clue what you mean by unlocking vendor themes....will it break anything? lol

I already deleted a bunch of preloads....
    08-17-08 02:54 PM
    It won't break anything, it just let's you use any carrier's default theme no matter what your particular carrier is.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f16/how...r-themes-1595/
    08-17-08 02:58 PM
    Now that's cool.

What else fun is there? lol
    08-17-08 04:26 PM
    Viigo, very
    http://downloads.viigo.com/bb/beta/4...d?v=1218157551

Video on your card is very nice also.

08-17-08 10:21 PM
    Welcome to CB!!!
    08-19-08 09:01 AM