Hi to all from the latest newbie to Blackberry Smartphones and CrackBerry! I picked up a BB Bold last Tuesday, from T-Mobile in Germany. I think I must have gotten one of the first from that store, since they didn't even have them on display yet.

I'm still fairly clueless with the BB, but this site is great, and everyone seems so helpful! I've read many of the threads, made configuration changes and customizations based on the tips here, and managed to update my Bold to the latest version without mishap (though I think I need a drink now after THAT; it was a bit scary!).

Even after all my reading here and elsewhere, I still have a couple of quick questions, so I'll ask them here, since everyone seems to blow through here with a welcome for the newbies, and hopefully someone will throw a quick answer or two my way:

1. If I have set up the WiFi with my router at home, does the BB check email and access Internet for browsing and maps automatically through the WiFi if I'm at home so as not to use up my data allowance, or is there some setting I need to change?

2. I figured out that I can turn off the data services so that it doesn't check email while I'm at home (I'm right here by the computer most of the time anyway, and I bought the BB for travel mostly), but sometimes I still get an old email coming in (that I've already deleted from the server via my desktop) when I turn the data services back on. Why?

3. When I travel, I usually carry: laptop, camera, mobile phone, iPod, Palm. Obviously, I'll need to continue to drag the laptop, but will the battery life on the BB keep me in music for the duration of a trans Atlantic flight, and let me read a good book on it as well without running out? Can the BB really be all of these other small electronics in one?

Thanks in advance!
    08-23-08 02:57 PM
    Welcome to the first day of the rest of your addiction glad to have you aboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-08 03:47 PM
    welcome to cb and the bb family!!
    08-23-08 03:52 PM
    Welcome to CB

08-23-08 04:50 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!!

08-23-08 04:52 PM
    Welcome to CB!! Please see below for the answers to your questions.

Hi to all from the latest newbie to Blackberry Smartphones and CrackBerry! I picked up a BB Bold last Tuesday, from T-Mobile in Germany. I think I must have gotten one of the first from that store, since they didn't even have them on display yet.

I'm still fairly clueless with the BB, but this site is great, and everyone seems so helpful! I've read many of the threads, made configuration changes and customizations based on the tips here, and managed to update my Bold to the latest version without mishap (though I think I need a drink now after THAT; it was a bit scary!).

Even after all my reading here and elsewhere, I still have a couple of quick questions, so I'll ask them here, since everyone seems to blow through here with a welcome for the newbies, and hopefully someone will throw a quick answer or two my way:

1. If I have set up the WiFi with my router at home, does the BB check email and access Internet for browsing and maps automatically through the WiFi if I'm at home so as not to use up my data allowance, or is there some setting I need to change?

I believe you do need to enable Wifi from your device.

2. I figured out that I can turn off the data services so that it doesn't check email while I'm at home (I'm right here by the computer most of the time anyway, and I bought the BB for travel mostly), but sometimes I still get an old email coming in (that I've already deleted from the server via my desktop) when I turn the data services back on. Why?

Did you sync your BB with your PC?

3. When I travel, I usually carry: laptop, camera, mobile phone, iPod, Palm. Obviously, I'll need to continue to drag the laptop, but will the battery life on the BB keep me in music for the duration of a trans Atlantic flight, and let me read a good book on it as well without running out? Can the BB really be all of these other small electronics in one?

I see no reason why your Blackberry can't replace all these devices. Please keep in mind that the media player is sub-par to say the least, however you can still listen to music on it. As for the duration of a trans Atlantic flight, that I wouldn't know.

Thanks in advance!
    08-23-08 04:53 PM
    Welcome to CB. Also, check out the numerous" threads in the BOLD Forum
    08-23-08 04:58 PM
    Welcome aboard!
    08-23-08 05:05 PM
    Thanks for all the Welcomes and replies to my questions!

@jenaywins,

1. I should have said that I had already connected the BB to the router, and enabled WiFi. So, now that I've done all that, I'm guessing that any data transmissions while I'm in range of my router are conducted over the WiFi, and are not being charged against my data plan, right? I don't have an unlimited plan....

2. I didn't sync with the PC, I just turned the data on on the BB so that I could use the browser, and emails came in to the BB that I'd already deleted from the server via MailWasher on my desktop. I should have also noted that these are POP email accounts, not the BIS account, which I haven't even set up yet, as I don't really need it. It seems like the BB is still checking email but not actually pulling them down if the data services are off. It's strange though, because it only gets some of the emails that came in while data services were off, not all of them.

3. Well, I guess I'll be schlepping the iPod at least, unless the Bold has better musical abilities than the Curve that you have (I haven't gotten around to testing that yet). When I want music, I want it to sound good, or why bother? Oh well, it's not why I bought the BB anyway, so it's not a killer.

Thanks much for your help!
    08-23-08 05:19 PM
    1. Yes, you would be correc tin assuming this.

2. Because your device is not synced with your email, anything you delete in your mail account will not be reflected on your device, and vice versa.

3. The Bold has a far superior media player from what I have heard. If you are concerned with sound quality, the iPod would be a good item to still carry along with your Berry.
    08-23-08 05:25 PM
    Welcome to crackberry.com

#1 - If you don't see the Wifi connection, active, then you are using your wireless providers data.

#2 - I'm not sure if syncing your device to your desktop will work unless it's attached to your BES account. On my BES, if I turn data off and delete/file messages on my desktop and then turn my data back on, I do not receive those messages. I know on the BIS website, there is an option to not forward messages to the device.

#3 - If you have a good set of headsets, the media player should be fine.
    08-23-08 07:33 PM
    08-23-08 07:36 PM
    Welcome to the land of CB.
    08-23-08 07:49 PM
    Welcome to CB and congrats on your Bold!!!
    08-23-08 08:16 PM
    Welcome to crackberry.com

#1 - If you don't see the Wifi connection, active, then you are using your wireless providers data.

#2 - I'm not sure if syncing your device to your desktop will work unless it's attached to your BES account. On my BES, if I turn data off and delete/file messages on my desktop and then turn my data back on, I do not receive those messages. I know on the BIS website, there is an option to not forward messages to the device.

#3 - If you have a good set of headsets, the media player should be fine.
    Hi Jayden, thanks for those tips! I did finally go to the ISP Blackberry site and set that all up, and I see where I can filter to not send any messages, so that's one more piece of the puzzle. However, it still seems like if I turn the data off on the BB, it should just NOT check mail during that time, and whatever messages that come in to those POP mail accounts and are either pulled into outlook or deleted from the server during that time shouldn't be showing up on my BB when I turn data back on. Not all of them do, just one or two, but there it is. The mail accounts are not set up to leave the messages on the server either.

I'm going to try out the music thing today and do a side-by-side with my iTouch to see how the BB stacks up sound-wise.
    Welcome to CB!
    Hi srplummer! I read that entire thread that you linked to, but there's soooo much info in there that you need to read it ten times to get it all, and I've only read it five times so far. I did see the part that said "There is no data charged to your account when using the WiFi Broswer", but I still never saw anything that indicated that it was an automatic change over to "data over WiFi" as opposed to "data on the mobile network" so I was just making sure that there wasn't some other setting that I needed to enable or fix to get it right. I'm just not interested in a huge bill from data usage to go along with my new Bold!

Thanks to all for the welcomes and the congrats on the Bold!
    08-24-08 04:25 AM
    And just so you all can laugh (with me I hope, not at me), buying a Bold in Germany as an American is interesting. Not only is it fairly challenging to read the little bit of printed documentation that came in the box (a quick start guide perhaps?), but I spent a full 30 seconds looking for the "Y" key on the keyboard the first time I wanted it. It's not up there on the top row like "normal" because my phone doesn't have a QWERTY keyboard, it has a QWERTZ keyboard, like all other German keyboards, and the Y and Z keys are switched. (yeah, this is why I don't buy my computers on the German economy, which kind of slipped my mind in regards to the BB)

I was reading through other tips in the BB 101 lectures just now, and couldn't figure out why my BB doesn't have a $ on the keyboard. Yeah, there it is again, it's a Euro key instead. Probably functions the same way for speakerphone switching, but sheesh. Does anyone know if the keyboard keys are programmable? Could I assign the $ to the Euro sign key? That might be cool, or maybe confusing...
    08-24-08 04:41 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry.
    08-24-08 03:21 PM
    Welcome to CB
    08-24-08 04:08 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!!
    08-24-08 04:51 PM
    welcome to team cb!
    08-26-08 03:35 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!!!
    08-26-08 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD