Nothing like meeting a new group of people and immediately asking them for something but here it goes. Decided to move some music to my Q10 from the computer. Normally designated to my husband the techie but decided I'm a big girl now and tackled it myself. Pretty easy, and now I'm feeling pretty confident so I decide to go into my file manager and organize and make myself some play lists. Discover a WHOLE lot of files that I must have accidently transfered over. No problem, I start deleting, amazed at how much info I transfered (it's seems to be every file I ever downloaded on my computer!) Once my phone is cleared of a bunch of files I would never need on my phone - I jump back on my computer and realize I somehow wirelessly deleted my entire computer! OMG! Can I fix this before I have to resort to throwing the laptop into the river and telling my husband that we were robbed, so I never have to admit what I've done

Posted via CB10
    middbrew likes this.
    01-09-14 09:59 PM
    Hi, sorry to hear that. "Deleted my computer" seems to be a a bit generic. Can you precisely tell me what's wrong with your computer? Is it not booting up? If not, then at which screen it is stuck ?

Also, is it a Mac or Windows ?
    01-09-14 10:07 PM
    What kind of computer? Windows? Is it still able to start up and run?

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    01-09-14 10:07 PM
    Windows 7 Acer - my desktop is empty I deleted so many things. They wouldn't open so I didn't think there was any point in keeping them on my phone. Never dawned on me I was deleting from the computer! My phone wasn't attached and wireless technology was a cool concept for me until this happened. So to sum up, the computer still opens, it isn't stuck, it's just empty. No files except for the music and pics which I didn't delete from my phone. My husband is a journalist - there were a lot of articles and surely works in progress - never mind about my kids school projects! Omg, they're going to kill me! I'm running away from home for sure!

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 10:19 PM
    Don't touch anything for the next few minutes. You can recover some of it - the less you touch right now the more you can recover.

You need an undelete freeware tool. I just need to grab you a link.

Posted via CB from my LE
    agarwal.apar and Trishaines like this.
    01-09-14 10:21 PM
    Get this one I've used it a few times and has a free version.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=YyrpdMbC

That is assuming your recycling bin on your PC is empty and unhelpful (depends on how you deleted the files)

Posted via CB from my LE
    pkcable likes this.
    01-09-14 10:22 PM
    The recycling bin had lots of stuff in it that had been deleted ages ago (on purpose) just none of the accidental deletes that I did from my Q10. As to how the files were deleted I would say, accidently, wirelessly, easily and apparently completely. Thank you for the link, I'll start there and then I plan to start drinking. I've heard that it's a commonly used problem solver and even though I've never tried it in the past, I've also never been much on technology so it will be a night of new things. Wish me luck

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 10:39 PM
    If all else fails, tell your husband and the kids that you were drunk and didn't know what happened to the computer! =)

The recycling bin had lots of stuff in it that had been deleted ages ago (on purpose) just none of the accidental deletes that I did from my Q10. As to how the files were deleted I would say, accidently, wirelessly, easily and apparently completely. Thank you for the link, I'll start there and then I plan to start drinking. I've heard that it's a commonly used problem solver and even though I've never tried it in the past, I've also never been much on technology so it will be a night of new things. Wish me luck

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 11:02 PM
    I'm confused here. Were you deleting the files using your computer on the Q10? The only way I can see this actually happening is if you had Link setup, and you were browsing the computer from your phone and deleted them. If this is not what happened then I really do not understand, as deleting these files on your phone would not have deleted them on your computer.

Hope you get your files back, though if you are not sure what you are doing then I would not be doing anything, do not run anything else on the computer (shut it down even), and be honest with your techy husband about what happened. He may be able to recover them. The reason I suggest shutting down is anything you do from this point forward could possibly overwrite those deleted files, and eliminate any chance of getting them back. I worked in data recovery for many years, so trust me on this, it is possible to get files back, but only if new files are not overwriting those parts of the hard drive.
    MHans likes this.
    01-09-14 11:14 PM
    That is what happened. The link was set up because I was moving music over, then when I was sorting files thru file manager I found desktop files, the kids files, books etc that I thought had somehow been ported to my phone when I linked it. I had unhooked the q10 from the computer after I was done sending the music over and had no idea I was able to wirelessly connect to any file on my computer through my phone. Super cool feature- miserable way to find out. I've downloaded the recovery program and started it up. It said it would take over an hour to deep scan the computer, so I have just left it to do it's thing while I go work on my innocent face in the bathroom mirror- should I go and stop it?

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 11:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    Recycle bin will only have local deletes. Not deletes across a "share".

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    01-09-14 11:31 PM
    Leave it running and see if it finds anything. Just do not run anything else on the computer, any temp files created could overwrite data. Feel free to add me on BBM if you have any further questions: 24D9B025

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 11:34 PM
    Recycle bin will only have local deletes. Not deletes across a "share".

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    Where do the deletes across a share go? I'm assuming across a share-- actually I'm going to stop assuming. What does across a share mean?

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 11:34 PM
    Where do the deletes across a share go? I'm assuming across a share-- actually I'm going to stop assuming. What does across a share mean?

Posted via CB10
    Any drive that's not locally installed that you can access is what I am calling a share. Deletes would go nowhere. They are just deletes, meaning gone as far as Windows knows. But it depends on the drive (NAS drives can have their own recycle bins).

Anyway in your case if you were able to somehow access your PC drive from your phone via LINK and delete, then there certainly won't be any recycle bin type of recovery. Though as others have said above the files are STILL PRESENT. They simply CAN be overwritten. So as others have said you are best to get someone that knows what they are doing to run a recovery utility and stop using the PC.

And once you get this straight I would advise setting up a regular back up so that you are not faced with this again.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    01-10-14 12:36 AM
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry. Second, I hope you were able to get the files back. Were you successful?
    01-10-14 08:50 PM
    Welcoming to Crackberry is more important

Hope the files were recovered. Even if you couldn't, i am sure you have learnt alot about computers from this fiasco!

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z10
    01-10-14 10:33 PM
    Hi OP and welcome aboard, glad you found us! I hope the situation is resolved soon!!!
    01-11-14 09:00 AM
    Thanks so much for all your help, for your welcomes and mostly for not laughing - or at least not laughing publicly. I was so angry at a phone I had been so completely enamored with, but I couldn't stay mad for long. Hung my head in shame and fessed up and then got help and was able to retrieve some of the files. Y'all at Crackberry were a hundred times more helpful than BlackBerry support, so once more, thanks again <3

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    01-11-14 10:05 PM
    Essentially. When you delete from off your PC - it can't send it to the trash so it deletes it.

In brief, in the old days deleting it is more or less just changing the first letter of the filename with a ? Symbol. This tells the OS not to use it. And tells the system to go ahead and overwrite the file. Now a days it's similar but slightly different but is more or less accurate.

The recovery tool - above. Let's you rename the ? back to a usable filename *as long* as nothing new was copied on the PC and overwrote the data.

Long story short, it's a temporary alternative to recycling bin for emergencies like this.

Posted via CB from my LE
    01-12-14 03:43 AM
    This is just for curiosity sake (and to help me be not so woefully ignorant on techie stuff) after I deleted, I didn't DO anything on the computer, no Web searches or saves, so what is over writing the files? Again, please laugh behind your hands if this is a completely stupid question

Posted with a smile...and a Q10
    01-12-14 07:04 AM
    No totally fair question

You don't realize it, but computers are practically alive when it comes to data.

So everything you do, your computer writes to a mixture of RAM and HD space in your temp folders. And stores settings and memory of what your doing in app data. If you have low RAM it also sets some HD space as a temporary slow RAM space.

Websites 'cache' to the system and then to RAM as well.

If your curious, you can find these by opening file explorer and browsing to %temp% or %appdata% in the file explorer bar.

Basically, everything you do on your PC. It needs to 'store' what you see somewhere fast (RAM) and somewhere slower for data manipulation, recovery (Hard Drive). So if you can see something change its writing somewhwre.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Trishaines likes this.
    01-12-14 12:59 PM
    You trying to move on in in case her husband gives her the boot? Lol

Keep The Faith ? BlackBerry Q10 ?
    01-12-14 10:05 PM
    How did we make out here? Were you able to recover the files?
    01-14-14 08:28 AM
    Some of them -I thought I had a lot more until I opened them and they were rubbish. It was quite the nerve wracking day, opening files to see if they still existed. The whole family sat around the computer with their fingers crossed for their prospective files. I've certainly learned my lesson

01-14-14 10:08 AM
    Some of them -I thought I had a lot more until I opened them and they were rubbish. It was quite the nerve wracking day, opening files to see if they still existed. The whole family sat around the computer with their fingers crossed for their prospective files. I've certainly learned my lesson

Welcome to the forums!

Give this a try! PC Inspector - kostenlose Software f�r die Datenrettung von CONVAR - Die Datenretter.

Save me (and my files) more times than I'd like to admit!
    01-14-14 10:13 AM
33 12