Hi!
    I am purchasing an unlocked GSM blackberry for use in the UK and Spain.
    I would like to use a sim card with a data packgage for email and phone service. I understand that I need a push data package to get the real time email of the blackberry.
    Are there SIM cards in the UK that offer this kind of plan pre paid? I will only be there a month?
    Otherwise, by just inserting a pre paid SIM with some sort of data package for internet use, will I be able to access email through the browser?
    Thanks for your help!!!
    Jennifer
    03-08-08 02:07 PM
    Hello & welcome to CB.

The problem with Blackberry Data plans is that they are bought on contract here in the UK and are not available on pay and go/prepaid sim cards. The contracts are also usually for a set period of say 6 months minimum.

You could maybe use a pay and go sim card with data and use opera mini to access your email from the internet. This of course would be dependent on getting Opera Mini to work on the BB.

Your other option is to see what kind of charges your carrier has for international roaming as you will retain the BB services this way.
    03-08-08 02:16 PM
    Thanks for the help.
    What is Opera Mini?
    03-08-08 02:22 PM
    It's a browser. Not everyone can get it to work though.

You will not get the BB browser unless you have a BB data plan.
    03-08-08 02:24 PM
    So, without the Blackberry Browser or the Opera Mini, I will not be able to access email on the blackberry in any way? As I mentioned, I do not need it in real time.
    03-08-08 02:26 PM
    So, without the Blackberry Browser or the Opera Mini, I will not be able to access email on the blackberry in any way? As I mentioned, I do not need it in real time.
    Correct.

With a pay and go sim you will get calls & texts only. For email if you do not need it in real time you could use internet cafes or hotel facilities maybe.
    03-08-08 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD