I'm a Palm user looking for something that just plain works. I used a Treo 650 for a while and moved to 755p. What a mistake. I'm going on my second replacement 755p for hardware problems and when the new unit arrives, I plan to get my data moved back to my desktop and migrate to something new. I've already downloaded the BB software for Mac and all I'm missing is my data which is still sitting on SD card from yesterday's 6:30 am backup and a shiny new (or used) BB to move it to.

I like having a touchscreen, so I'm thinking about the Storm. But I would rather start off with something less expensive. I don't want to even think about the Pearl, so for me the choice narrows down to the 8830, 8330, 8703, and 8250. The latter 2 are less desirable as I hear they don't support an SD card.

I don't need a camera. I just need email that works, calendar, contacts and a phone. Also I have a few questions...

How is email stored on the device? Can it go to sd card? I think it would be awesome if all my email was searchable locally on my device, but there's about a gig of the stuff.

Where do I find decent freeware (or is there any?). The crackberry software store has a link for freeware but it doesn't seem to work (at least not in FF 3 on OS X).

The features/apps I really need are:
    Email (imap working with gmail)
    Decent phone (which is why I'm sticking with Verizon)
    Olivetree bible reader
    Some sort of password safe

Features/apps I would like are:
    Docs 2 go (or equivalent)
    Euchre (card) game
    Word games
    Ability to run apps from sd card so my phone doesn't overflow with stuff
    Unattended backup of some sort either to sd card or wirelessly (One thing Palm taught me was to backup early and often)

Based on this list and my initial research, I'm thinking the 8330 and 8830 are my best options assuming I don't win a Storm in a contest . Any other ideas or advice?

BTW, I've covered some of this before in this thread, but I chose unwisely and took a 755p instead of moving to BB. A decision I now regret.
    Last edited by r0k; 11-08-08 at 06:04 AM.
    11-08-08 05:59 AM
    If you're using a Mac I suggest you get Missing Sync or start running Windows in a Virtual Machine. There is no GOOD free sync manager for the Mac OS...yet.

As for the SD question, SD has been phased out and now phones use either microSD or MiniSD. Unless you're SD card breaks down into one of these, you will have to buy a new memory card.

Also, I believe apps are run off of device memory and can't be run off of a memory card...I'm not definite on that though. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    11-08-08 08:38 AM
    I have the 8330, and I can tell you - it's a GREAT phone. You say you don't need a camera, but they ARE nice. Say for example you're in a fender bender - it's very nice to be able to get a shot off, right there at the scene. Or, if you need to remember what something looks like in a store or to show someone - you can snap a shot. The camera can be used more for than just pleasure-taking shots. Just an idea. The 8330 performs well, I've had no sync problems, its durable, etc. (this I know from having dropped it many times). I think it's a great phone, and that you'd be happy with it. Check the forums - people that have the 8330 are REALLY happy. :-) Just my .02!
    11-08-08 09:46 AM
    If you're using a Mac I suggest you get Missing Sync or start running Windows in a Virtual Machine. There is no GOOD free sync manager for the Mac OS...yet.

As for the SD question, SD has been phased out and now phones use either microSD or MiniSD. Unless you're SD card breaks down into one of these, you will have to buy a new memory card.

Also, I believe apps are run off of device memory and can't be run off of a memory card...I'm not definite on that though. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    I have installed PocketMac for Blackberry. I'm hoping it does all I need. I will go look at the Mac forum here at Crackberry before I assume it does everything I need. One thing I'd really like is wireless backup/sync. I meant MicroSD. Basically, I hastily call all removeable memory SD but I've got all kinds on hand. I've got a few 1 gig MicroSD cards lying around. I'll use one of those for my photos when my BB 8830 arrives. I will grab an 8 gig MicroSD when I run out of room. Meanwhile, I'll sell off those mini-sd cards I had lying around to support my Treo 755p. No further need for those. Perhaps I will bundle them with the phone to get more money when I sell it on ebay.

I have the 8330, and I can tell you - it's a GREAT phone. You say you don't need a camera, but they ARE nice. Say for example you're in a fender bender - it's very nice to be able to get a shot off, right there at the scene. Or, if you need to remember what something looks like in a store or to show someone - you can snap a shot. The camera can be used more for than just pleasure-taking shots. Just an idea. The 8330 performs well, I've had no sync problems, its durable, etc. (this I know from having dropped it many times). I think it's a great phone, and that you'd be happy with it. Check the forums - people that have the 8330 are REALLY happy. :-) Just my .02!
    Sorry, but I've already ordered the 8830. I took a close look at the 8330, 8703, 7250 and 8830. I quickly ruled out the models that had no SD capability. So that left the 8330 and the 8830. On ebay those models for Verizon are averaging $200 and $150 respectively. I also found several on Craigslist but I'd already ordered mine before I noticed them. I went for the lower priced slightly older model 8830 phone rather than the Curve to get the features I need rather than nice to have features for more money. I also wanted a media player for photos and home movies and the 8330 and 8830 both have that feature. Lastly, I would rather have a trackball over a thumbwheel.

A camera is a huge liability in a business environment. Shame on the handset manufacturers for shoving the things down our throats. At least BB has enough business users to still have a realistic approach to the camera issue.

I've also heard that the battery life of the 8830 is incredible. The thought of having push email AND excellent battery life is very exciting to me.

BTW: I should point out that I was able to get my data over to my Macbook using my old Treo 650. I restored my contacts and calendar and then hotsynced it over to Palm Desktop. I then exported from Palm Desktop and imported to Ical and address. I suppose I could have synced directly to ical and address but I just wanted a one-way transfer so everything will be ready when my 8830 arrives.
    Last edited by r0k; 11-10-08 at 07:38 AM.
    11-10-08 07:11 AM
    I have the 8830 & like it a lot. I do wish it had a camera though. It is a very reliable unit. I charge my 8830 every night.

Email is stored on the device memory not the SD card.
    11-10-08 08:21 AM
    Here is a simple bit of advice, unsure what you want go to blackberry.com they have a comparision chart so you can look at the different phones and pick the one that fits you best. I started out on a palm, but my phone company stopped suppoeting the treo so I never had one I went from a cell phone and palm to a BB 8700. I liked it but missed having a camera and memory. I upgraded to a 8120 and love it with the additional micro SD card for Pic stroage, books and games I would not trade it for anoything ( but a Storm) but to do that right now I would have to switch carriers.
    11-10-08 08:52 PM
    I have the 8830 & like it a lot. I do wish it had a camera though. It is a very reliable unit. I charge my 8830 every night.

Email is stored on the device memory not the SD card.
    Drat. Email stored on the device and not the SD card? Yuck. Suppose I want to pull up some old email from 18 months ago. It's not gonna fit on the device. Do I wind up having to use web mail or is there some feature on the BB to go back that far without actually downloading hundreds of megs of old stuff to internal memory?

Here is a simple bit of advice, unsure what you want go to blackberry.com they have a comparision chart so you can look at the different phones and pick the one that fits you best. I started out on a palm, but my phone company stopped suppoeting the treo so I never had one I went from a cell phone and palm to a BB 8700. I liked it but missed having a camera and memory. I upgraded to a 8120 and love it with the additional micro SD card for Pic stroage, books and games I would not trade it for anoything ( but a Storm) but to do that right now I would have to switch carriers.
    I don't like the keyboard on the pearl. If it had qwerty in that small form factor, I'd snap it up. For me pressing a letter once per letter I'm typing is more than enough. The alternative, having to pick from a menu of "guesses" at what I meant just wastes more time. So I'm glad I went for the 8830. I actually don't want to be bothered with a camera phone. It gets taken away in courtrooms and in many offices. I don't want to be bothered with that issue. Once the guards see I'm carrying a BB and it has no lens, I'm good to go where I please. I had to have security tape over the lens on my 755p to get in and out of certain facilities without having computer forensics guys confiscate my phone to look for evidence I may have taken pictures.

I'm reluctant to deal with the Storm right now. I wonder if it's just following a touchscreen "fad" introduced by the iPhone. I know a lot of iPhone users and I've played with them more than once and I really like having a qwerty keyboard. After all, I'm coming from a Treo. In fact, I hated Graffiti so bad, I had a keyboard emulator on my TX (mykbd). It used to frustrate me to try to use a touchscreen to peck at keys so I'm a little leery of the Storm despite it's tactile feedback features.

I'd like to see how the Storm is faring after its been out for a few months before I decide whether to part with money to get one. The battery life claims for the Storm are very impressive. I'd also like to see some reviews with real world data to back up those claims. But since I'm on Verizon, I can grab a Storm as soon as my renewal date rolls around next spring.
    11-10-08 09:19 PM
    Time for an update. I got the confirmation email saying that my BB 8830 has arrived! I've got some data recovery exercises to go through and a formality of activating a warranty replacement 755p (which also arrived today) and sending back my old 755p and then I should be good to go with my new Blackberry!

Verizon has a fairly seamless phone activation/swap process so I might use both phones on alternating days or weeks to get a feel for what the tradeoffs are. More on this after I've had a chance to get caught up.

I see the Storm pricing is only $200 with contract so I might just use the 8830 for a few months and pick up a Storm in the spring when I'm eligible for the subsidy.
    11-12-08 02:51 PM
    Well, it's here. Setup went pretty smooth but the first sync took a very long time. Also, by default network was off and I had to dig for the setting to turn it on. Maps wouldn't work. Web wouldn't work. Email wouldn't work. I kept wondering if VZW had munged something on their end and then I stumbled across a network on/off setting and switched it on and viola, everything started working.

I'm a little annoyed at the little trackball. I kept reaching for the stylus. I have grown pretty sick of dealing with the touchscreen over the years so I was quite happy when I remembered I could merely roll the little ball to move around the screen and press it to select things.

The browser is pretty bad. I do think I'll have to download and try opera mini. I'll also have to go back and check my gmail settings to make sure the bb is set up to access my account as imap and not pop. I'll have to find the time to finish going through bb 101 with my phone in front of me. I did set the wallpaper already, though. I played brickbreaker. I see why ppl like it but I'm trying to get away from focusing on my handheld for gaming so I'll probably ignore brickbreaker from now on.
    11-12-08 10:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD