I just got my first BB, the Bold. I am wondering if it is possible to sync email with Eudora. I have been using Eudora for over 10 years and don't want to switch to Outlook if possible.
    09-13-08 08:39 PM
    Hi Kinlo,

did you ever have any luck with your question about Eudora and your BlackBerry? I'm in the same boat, been using Eudora for 12 years, and wondering how I'll move ahead once I make the inevitable BlackBerry purchase next month. Tx! sean
    05-15-09 03:30 PM
    IMHO, Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express are both a PITA.

They are nice looking but are slow, cumbersome, not portable, have a lousy and clumsy search engine and use a database that likes to corrupt easily. Outlook (not very portable) is not standard fare on most computers.

For email and most contacts, I use Eudora v71 portable on a USB pen drive.

It's 100% portable and has both the Eudora executable plus the entire (888mb) database folder on the USB stick. I can run it from "any" W2K or XP machine and have not tested it with any other CPU OS.

To start Eudora I use a free program called SlickRun (SR) (also on the USB) which is a "launcher" and mimics a real eudora shortcut on the desktop. I use the built-in SR macro "$D$ which frees up the requirement to assign a drive letter so my shortcut looks like this:

$D$\Eudora71\eudora.exe $D$\EudoraDataFiles_2.01\

I use version #'s so I can keep track of my backups. SlickRun and both eudora folders are located in the "root" of the USB stick. So, from any win32 machine I plug in the drive, fire up SlickRun, click on "eudora" and it's up and running - I don't care what the drive letter is as it becomes virtual I can also run it from an installed Eudora on a regular drive provided that I change the shortcut and point Windows at the pen drive location.

-----
    I use the "online" Google sync to manage and type in my contacts. Maybe it's not as cool as Outlook but then I'm not tethered to a specific PC. It's all built into Google and my BB. I have google sync set to manual and is hassle free compared to syncing up via BBManager which was a nightmare at times.

-----
    Right now my BB is set for my paid pop account at yahoo. I have all my other email accounts forward to my yahoo account which then updates my BB on the fly. I had looked at Google for this service but don't like their TOS and I don't like them looking at all my mail... contacts are bad enough!

-----
    I used a hacked version of Address Magic to get my contacts out of Outlook and into Eudora. I can export them out of Google with not too much hassle but I'm not worried about this as contacts will be either on google or the BB. If I need more contact info I'll buy a contact manager rather than suffer with Outlook.

-----

Yup! My portable Eudora does work and it works 100%... anywhere!

If you need some help setting it up please feel free to post here or PM me

I hope this helps someone.
    11-02-09 01:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD