Hi, I'm a newbie. Although I resisted for months, I was given a BB by my company, and though it pains me (a little) to say so, I like it.

I have an 8700c on AT&T.

My question is this: how does the BB "know" that it's being holstered? When I put it into the holster, it automatically darkens the screen and locks itself, and switches to "holster mode" as far as alerts, etc. are concerned. So how does it work?

It's like magic!

Seriously, the reason I ask is, if I buy an aftermarket holster (I want one without a belt swivel - I just want a protective leather case), will the BB "recognize" it?

Thanks in advance,

D.B.
    08-12-08 06:55 PM
    There is a magnet inside the holster which puts the Blackberry into standby.
    08-12-08 06:56 PM
    Ahh...

So do the aftermarket holsters also have the magic magnet?
    08-12-08 06:58 PM
    Ahh...

So do the aftermarket holsters also have the magic magnet?
    It depends. Most holsters do, it should say one way or the other in the description. Maybe post which one you're thinking of and people can let you know?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-08 07:03 PM
    Welcome to crackberry.com
    08-12-08 11:52 PM
    Welcome, Dharma!
    08-12-08 11:59 PM
    welcome to the addiction! I have the leather blackberry holster with the swivel clip. actually I have 3 one in pink, black and brown.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=F1SZkVmX
    08-13-08 12:37 AM
    Hi,
    Can the "holster mode" settings be changed? i.e. ring instead of vibrate.
    08-13-08 11:37 AM
    Yes. On most if not all Blackberries (I'm familiar with the 7130e and the 8330) will let you customize the "in holster" and "out of holster" settings (ring only, vibrate only, or both) for all phone, calendar, email, etc. alerts.
    08-14-08 09:14 PM
    welcome to CB!
    08-15-08 12:39 AM
    welcome to cb
    08-16-08 01:30 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry.

08-16-08 09:20 AM
    I bought a holster clip off ebay for a cheap $6. It works well but it doesn't have the magnet thing so I just adjust the rink settings in my curve.

08-16-08 12:15 PM
    everytime I get alerted that I have new email, when "unholstering" my phone, it automatically opens the email folder and goes to the newest message. Is there a way to turn this feature off and leave my phone on the "home" screen when unholstering after a new message? Very annoying and have looked everywhere........thanks for your help...
    08-18-08 04:38 PM
    Yes. On most if not all Blackberries (I'm familiar with the 7130e and the 8330) will let you customize the "in holster" and "out of holster" settings (ring only, vibrate only, or both) for all phone, calendar, email, etc. alerts.
    You need to go to profiles to alter these settings if you haven't figured that out already. Once in profiles, go to advance then choose your profile. Everything will be there for you to change
    08-18-08 05:55 PM
    everytime I get alerted that I have new email, when "unholstering" my phone, it automatically opens the email folder and goes to the newest message. Is there a way to turn this feature off and leave my phone on the "home" screen when unholstering after a new message? Very annoying and have looked everywhere........thanks for your help...
    That's the default action. If you leave your BB in its holster for a little longer (sorry, can't remember how long), it won't automatically go into the message.
    08-18-08 06:00 PM
    Welcome to CB!!!
    08-19-08 08:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD