Hello, my name is Jamie, I am a game developer from Canada.

So, a little about my history with BlackBerry: when I was about 8 to 11 years old, in like 2013-2015-ish, I found my mother's old BlackBerry in the basement cupboard. She told me I could keep it since it was already obsolete by this point. It never had a SIM card, internet, or anything, but it was my first ever phone, technically. The main thing I remember about it was that it had a trackball, which I thought was pretty cool at the time, and that it had an isometric version of The Sims 3 on it, a game I loved to play on my Windows XP computer.

At some point relatively soon after getting it, I encountered some sort of glitch. I was young and the memory is fuzzy, but I remember creating a folder, not being able to figure out how to put stuff in it, and then deleting the folder. Getting some sort of pop-up along the lines of "Are you sure you want to delete? This will delete all applications". And then after that, the phone was wiped of almost anything useful. Sims was gone, camera apps were gone, voice recorder gone... I was so confused. And for the rest of the time I had it, I accomplished anything on it by going into "compose text" (I'd never send them since no SIM) and using that to take pictures, record short audio, or even make slideshows, and save them as draft texts.

Well, fast-forward to now. I've been pretty into obsolete tech for a while now and I have a fair bit of it. Recently I've been into old phones, and of course, BlackBerries. Some part of me is trying to re-create what I remember from my childhood (before the wipeout) and I've sort of been trying to sleuth out what combination of 'BlackBerry phone model with trackball' and 'The Sims 3 for mobile' work out to be compatible.

I bought a BlackBerry Curve 8330 on eBay a bit ago, and it's been difficult getting much of any JAR games to run on it but I got some stuff from lunarproject to work, and I loved the OS (it came with 4.5) and the aesthetic. That is until I accidentally (hopefully temporarily) bricked it by clicking "wipe device" on BBSAK. If you wanna help me figure that out, check out my other post, it'd be much appreciated. I swear I can find an OS install for literally every model other than the 8330.

I also ordered a BlackBerry Bold 9000. It hasn't come in the mail yet but it definitely rings more of a bell visually.
    I'm not sure what's going on with these forums, if they're dead, or shutting down soon, or what. It seems like every- EVERY would-be helpful post I find on here from trying to Google-fu problems with my blackberry is filled with dead links and years-gone posters. But if these forums are still going with active users and we're still allowed to talk here, then this would definitely be a place I might frequent.

Well, I guess that's it. I hope this is the kind of post you're supposed to make here. I'm kind of a noob to all the blackberry stuff but I wanna learn all about how to operate these little phones and get as much out of them as possible, and I hope there's still somewhat of an active community around them.
    boogywstew likes this.
    03-08-24 12:58 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry anyway, Mr Fanboy! Things are dwindling here but there are still a few enthusiasts left.

One of the guys here has even written new apps for BBOS.

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post13681009
    Fortune Coins likes this.
    03-08-24 09:10 AM
    Welcome to the group, while we are small we all enjoy keeping the dream alive!
    Fortune Coins likes this.
    03-08-24 07:40 PM
    Salut Jamie,
    C'est super de lire ton histoire avec BlackBerry !

Commençons par répondre à tes questions :

1. Modèle de BlackBerry avec trackball et compatible avec Les Sims 3 mobile:

Le BlackBerry Bold 9000 que tu as commandé est un excellent choix. Il dispose d'un trackball et est compatible avec les jeux Java, y compris Les Sims 3 mobile.
    D'autres modèles de BlackBerry avec trackball et compatible avec Les Sims 3 mobile incluent le Curve 8900, le Tour 9630 et le Storm 9500.
    2. Réinstallation du système d'exploitation sur le BlackBerry Curve 8330:

Il existe plusieurs options pour réinstaller le système d'exploitation sur ton Curve 8330.
    Tu peux utiliser BBSAK, mais il est important de suivre attentivement les instructions pour éviter de briquer ton téléphone.
    D'autres options incluent l'utilisation de DMLoader ou de JNLP.
    Ragbert likes this.
    03-27-24 05:13 AM
    hello!
    04-08-24 07:40 PM