Hey everyone. My name is Kal and I just got my first blackberry!

First a little about me:

I'm 21 years old and a student over at Duke University studying biology, chemistry, and physics, eventually wanting to go to medical school to become an oncologist. I do research and volunteer work with cancer as well.

I'm active on a small number of forums, the main being the Taurus Club.

Phone wise, my history as follows:

My first phone was a Motorola V400. I remember getting it those years ago and thought it was so cool at the time to have a .3 megapixel camera on my phone....I had the coolest phone in school at the time: everyone else was using black/white Nokias...good ol' days.

That was replaced with a Motorola V3 in Silver. There definitely was a weight difference there shaved off compared to the V400.

After that, I got the faster, better equipped Motorola V3xx in the dark gunmetal grey. I still have the phone as a backup of a backup, but sadly it's seen better days.

Now my primary phone has been an AT&T Tilt (otherwise known as the Kaiser or HTC 8925). Yep, I was a strong Moto guy but sadly Motorola just lost their game and touch....and when you stick with the same OS base for 5 years without any major changes.....

Anyway, so I swapped over to WinMo. I love the phone, I will admit. Yes, it's a brick and weighs just as much. Yeah, I'll admit HTC screwed the owners over with non-existent video drivers and randomly cracking LCD screens (mine's been replaced). But that phone is still amazing.

I'm been discovering that like the blackberries, there is a very strong modification forum (mainly xda-developers) for applications, ROMS, etc. for WinMo devices, especially from HTC.

So that's what I've been using the past year and a half. Now technically my contract is up, but I've been holding off for a new phone just to wait to see what AT&T has cooking (I'm eyeing the Pearl 3G, the iPhone version 3, the HTC Fortress aka HTC Pro2, and the 8900 successor)

But I've kinda wanted a Blackberry to mess around with while taking some summer classes (as I already modify my HTC WinMo device and also have an iPod Touch so I can mess around with it; yes it's jailbroken - the only way to add much needed stuff IMO)

So searched around on Craigslist, Ebay, etc. Was able to finally snag a Blackberry Pearl 8110 in Red (AT&T) for $50 Near perfect condition: a few minor, barely noticeable scratches on the screen but nothing major. The phone practically brand new: only 3 hours of talk time, original box, and unopened manuals and CDs. The only downside is that the trackball doesn't register my pushing down as a click function.

Regardless, it's in excellent condition and for the price I couldn't pass it up.

So I'm using the Pearl now as my main phone only because it weighs over 50% lighter than my Tilt, which is nice for when I go to the gym or class sometimes. And when I'm talking on the phone with my mom: 190g in one hand for 2 hours will cause cramps...

Anyway, sorry for the long introduction. I look forward to accustoming myself to this new OS. Unfortunately, like WindowsMobile phones, I've already ran into the fun issues trying to get it to work with my Mac. And I'm still sorting out some MGMaps issues: it doesn't like my map cache for some reason.

And if anyone has any ideas for my trackball issue: only because it rolls fine, I'm used compressed air after popping both the metal ring and the trackball out, and I can push the ball down and it clicks correctly. It just won't register. Using a small screwdriver and pushing on the clicking mechanism underneath the ball has no effect unless it's in a weird unnatural angle....oh well, that's what the return button is for.

Anyway, thank you for your time and letting me introduce myself!

- Kal
    05-27-09 12:47 AM
    I can't believe I read that whole f*ckin thing. Haha but welcome

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 04:42 AM
    Kal...welcome . Good luck at Duke . Excellent site here alot of knowledge
    05-27-09 08:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD