Hi,

I'm brand new to BlackBerry. The last phone I bought was a few years back, an LG Arena. Horrible device, it didn't even work well as a phone. But I liked it because I could plug it into my Amiga computer and it came up as a mass storage device.

But it simply couldn't handle email, so I got a work issued Nokia Lumia 520. Now, I despise Microsoft with a passion, both as a company and their products, saying that it was an ok phone if you like an interface from the 80s. But I hated that it, like Apple, was a black box that required me to go through their awful proprietary software to access my own device. (I understand WP 8 addressed this, but still...)

The final straw was the phone failing to recognise the charger, so I decided to BYOD. Shopping around, the BlackBerry Z10 caught my eye. For me, like most consumers, BlackBerrys were for corporate warriors, as shown in the British cartoon strip Alex. In fact, BlackBerry was, before we switched to the Nokia, our company's standard issue phone (I wasn't in management then, so I never had one).

My only regret has been buying it off the Net, which has proven to be the worst online shopping experience ever, but once I got the Z10, it was great fun to use. I had no trouble installing the Amazon store app, and I was running Android apps within a day.

It's garnered a few oohs and aahs at work, not least from our IT person who used to set up our old BBs, and had never seen BB10 before. (And I didn't even really need her, setup was so easy)

Our company is a broadcaster, and I have been able to access our Flash based online viewer, which isn't even possible with iOS.

Little disappointed the Z10 was also a black box until I added an SD card, this should have been made clearer. Sorry, I have zero interest in BlackBerry Link. A true smart phone should not require proprietary software to do anything; the only reason Winpple do it is to push their other products.

The only feature I miss from WP is that my meeting name and location doesn't show on the lock screen. Hope this gets addressed in BB10.3.

But otherwise loving the Z10 and look forward to more interesting articles on CB.

- David

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 03:37 AM
    Welcome to the Family! I am a proud Z10 owner for going on 16 months now and it is by far the best device I hear ever owned! Hope you continue to fall in love with BB10 as I have!

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 04:08 AM
    Welcome Dave.

There is a great community here so if you have any questions, we are always willing to help.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 05:34 AM
    Welcome to CB!
    07-06-14 08:20 AM
    Welcome to Blackberry! Keep using your Z10 and it's functions, you will not regret it. I have had a Z10 and now sport a Z30. I will never look back again. Best device ever! Good Luck!
    07-06-14 08:27 AM
    I have a device from every platform and started out with a Z10, reviewed a Q10 and purchased a Z30 this spring. Of all my devices I keep going back to my BlackBerry 10 devices. BlackBerry Hub is what it is all about with efficiency and speed! Welcome to the Crackberry Nation!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 08:38 AM
    Welcome, David.

Hopefully your fellow work mates will begin to see the beauty of BB10 and give it its due respect.

As for Link, I only use Link to back up my phone. My contacts and calendar are all sync'd through the server and all my media is put directly on my SD card. Even the BlackBerry can be mounted as a storage device for drag and drop purposes.

I too wish events would show more information on the lockscreen. For those that want that stuff hidden could mark the event private while the others are displayed on the lockscreen. It is visible on the lockscreen when the device isn't locked, which is kinda pointless.

Welcome to CB and BlackBerry!

emPowered by ?
    07-06-14 08:42 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! Great story and welcome to the world of BBRY.
    07-06-14 01:44 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! Enjoy the forums.

Posted from my sexy Q10!
    07-12-14 11:27 PM
    Welcome to the BlackBerry family!
    07-17-14 08:44 AM
    Welcome to CB!
    07-18-14 03:06 PM