I've had an 8110 for a couple of days now and I have to say I'm really struggling with it.

Wondering if my expectations were set too high, but it seems to me an enormous step down from the WM6 device (with a keyboard) I had before.

Several call to T-Mobile have fixed some of the problems, Among them

• No option on the setup wizard to install BIS email.
    • Web site to set it up (incorrectly) said the PIN was registered to another carrier
    • Couldn't get the browser even to load the Blackberry site
    • Opera didn't (and still doesn't) connect - despite following all the instructions here
    • GPS take upwards of 15 minutes to find a signal (Goggle Maps, BB, TeleNav, Nav4All - all staggeringly inaccurate doesn't make much difference)

But beyond those are so many little things that should be better and the OS seems unnecessarily complicated. The expectation to have users accept arcane terminology just to set the thing up is a real turn-off ("HRT", "Service Books", "PINs" etc,), for example

It's crashed 3 times - once it reset itself completely so I had to set-up the email all over and eventually guessed that "resending the Service Books" would get the mail icons back.

So many instructions here also refer to pulling the battery as if it was a normal thing to have to do to the thing to work properly. Having done that a bunch of times, it now seems to have lost the ability to connect to the PC (either USB Mass storage or via Desktop Software)

So it delivers email a whole five minutes before my old phone would pull it, without being asked. Am I missing something? What else is near comparable to WM6?

• Customisation appears extremely limited. You either live with the operator branded themes or hack about xml files.
    • Most of the applications available feel like stuff written in 1999.
    • Doesn't really view attachments properly
    • Seems difficult to direct where things are stored with any flexibility
    • There isn't a proper SatNAV option (no GPRS cover = no SatNav, and subscription? come on!)
    • The Desktop Manager is not only bloated but *extremely* slow
    • Games run much better on WM6 (Virtual Pool Mobile, for example)
    • The sure type I'm sure I will get used to but so far I'm 3-4 times slower than my previous phone.

Am I missing the point of this blackberry thing? What's it good for? I'm thinking I should probably give it back.
    Last edited by kc1; 03-15-08 at 08:58 AM.
    03-15-08 08:32 AM
    Try taking it back. That sounds like a faulty BB, it isn't always like that. Are you doing the GPS thing outside?
    03-15-08 10:09 AM
    yeah sounds like a bad bb
    03-16-08 05:32 AM
    aw bad phone, i want to return it.
    06-12-08 12:29 AM
    There are a number of things that a BB is unable to do in comparison to a WM phone. you are correct in saying there are no flexibility on where to store things. Many games will run much better on WM, as to attachment, no comparison. However, the big selling point with a BB, is that it is very Secure and isn't plague with the frequent crashes of a WM machine.
    PS. former Treo user.
    06-12-08 01:10 AM
    No need to take it out on the BB... It sounds like a bad Curve... return it and see if the problems persist.
    06-13-08 03:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD