Greetings all...new to this "tech" forum stuff and look forward to learning all the hidden secrets my Blackberry is hiding from me! I won't be of much help on the technical side but if anyone has questions about motorcycles or racing techniques feel free!
    06-27-11 08:04 PM
    Haha racing?
    Welcome to the forums, most of us can surely help with any issues you encounter.

and i'm sure there are motorcycle enthusiasts here as well. :P
    06-27-11 08:29 PM
    Greeting Yamaha! Welcome to CrackBerry.com, if you have any questions or problems (BB related) please let us know.

I have a racing question, what is a "draft" and how do you take advatage of that during a race? I've of course heard about this on TV and the movies but I don't really understand it!
    06-28-11 08:07 AM
    This I can explain!
    Draft is the vacuum that a car (or maybe motocycle) will create behind them when they move.
    Because air resistance slows cars down, if you travel in the vacuum behind the car rather than you move faster because of the lack of air resistance.

Don't try this in real life btw.
    Especially in a motorcycle.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    pkcable likes this.
    06-28-11 08:21 AM
    Deathcommand's explanation pretty much sums it up very well! But for racing application, drafting is applicable in any forum. Nascar pretty much mainstreamed it to the public but in my motorcycle races drafting is a necessary technique, especially in long straightaways. The lead bike is breaking the wind sheer and creates a bubble of "clean air" behind him which you can tuck into and actually let off the throttle a bit, conserve some fuel and actually maintain the same speed as the lead bike without using as much throttle. So if you watch MotoGP or World Superbike races the guys coming into the long straightaways always fall into a straight line behind eachother because if your on the outside of that draft line you'll go noticeably slower and use more throttle and fuel. So in a race, if you time it correctly, you draft the lead bike in essence having him pull you, then when your approaching a corner where you have to get on the brakes, I pull to the inside out of the draft (slow speeds drafting is useless) try to outbrake the lead bike and take the inside race line through the corner and overtake the lead bike. But of course other techniques are involved in doing this; late braking, trail-braking, drifting the rear tire, "closing the door" which basically means blocking the guy behind you, etc... Sorry, I got caught up in a racing tangent!! haha
    pkcable likes this.
    06-28-11 12:59 PM
    You are gonna fit RIGHT in YR! Make sure to check out the Off Topic forum, it's loads of fun.
    Yamaha Racer likes this.
    06-28-11 02:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD