just switched to tmobile today with the curve that has wifi. is it free?
    08-28-08 10:48 PM
    you can browse the web for free but to make calls over uma for free you must have the hot spot at home
    08-28-08 10:50 PM
    really? my sister called two stores and they said its not...i dont want to believe them!
    08-28-08 10:56 PM
    yes you can absolutely browse without charge on wifi just cant get free calls without the hot spot
    08-28-08 10:59 PM
    so is aim free?
    08-28-08 11:19 PM
    you probably wont be able to use that for free just browsing but someone correct me if i'm wrong. you can't use most 3rd party apps with wi fi
    08-28-08 11:29 PM
    Check out my WiFi guide... the link is in my signature

It will get you all set-up and running on WiFi. In the FAQ section there is a link to a thread about apps that work on WiFi.
    08-28-08 11:45 PM
    08-29-08 12:15 AM
    ok a few more quick q's about wifi i couldnt find on there
    if i can't call without being charged when im on uma can i text? if not how do i get off of the network?
    Last edited by dang.kristie@gmail.com; 08-29-08 at 02:34 AM.
    08-29-08 02:32 AM
    MMMMM not sure about the texting, but I would suggest unlimited texting. Just a FYI if you have tmobile family plans you can get unlimited text for all the lines under that family plan for $14.99 (one price for all).

On the WIFI stuff, I've a BB 8820 series, everytime I'm at range with the WIFI connectivity it will automatically switch to WIFI and it will say on your screen. but you have to get the hotspot, and a router of your own. Also make sure you get the right plan bc there's home phone service now, and for 10 also.
    08-29-08 06:38 AM
    Yeah I have unlimited texting, so I guess I can be on uma and text still?
    08-29-08 03:47 PM
    ok a few more quick q's about wifi i couldnt find on there
    if i can't call without being charged when im on uma can i text? if not how do i get off of the network?
    Those questions are answered within the guide... but I can give you a straight answer here as well.

If you configure your BlackBerry Browser as I have outlined in the guide, then all of your Web Browsing using the Browser over WiFi is free. Also, a number of third party applications can use WiFi as the primary connection (such as JiveTalk). Those apps will not use data if running on WiFi connection.

UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access) is an alternative way to connect to the TMobile network. This allows all of your connections to be routed through WiFi. The billing works the same. All text messages are charged the same, all MMS, all voice minutes!! Nothing is free over UMA, but the data transfer may be quicker and you can also receive voice and SMS/MMS simultaneously while on a UMA connection.

The only time that billing on UMA is different... is when you have a Hotspot@Home addon. With that addon, all calls made when connected via UMA are FREE! Other than that, your billing and normal activity will go on as normal.

I hope that helps!

(So basically, with your texting plan and voice plan... all of the text messages and minutes will be counted as normal. There is no additional charge at all when on UMA! UMA is free. If you pay for the Hotspot@Home, then calling over UMA is free)
    08-29-08 03:54 PM
    so is aim free?
    I think without data it charges you text messages, I am not 100% sure
    08-29-08 03:58 PM
    I think without data it charges you text messages, I am not 100% sure
    I am not 100% either... but running on WiFi only, she should invest in JiveTalk for AIM. The app is amazing and connects via WiFi. No need to worry about txt charges or data fees!
    08-29-08 04:21 PM
    How do I get off wifi then? (To get and make phone calls)? The only way I've found is the "restore to default"
    Last edited by dang.kristie@gmail.com; 08-29-08 at 08:28 PM.
    08-29-08 08:14 PM
    Why get of wi-fi? It doesn't cost you anything more (only normal minutes) and your reception will likely be better.
    One downside I have noticed is that the battery seems to run down faster when wi-fi is activated (whether or not you are connected via UMA or not).
    Last edited by Carl P. Tunnel; 08-29-08 at 10:53 PM.
    08-29-08 10:50 PM
    yah what carl said, theres no reason to get off WiFi. if you text and make calls on WiFi without the @home plan you just get charged your normal txt and voice minutes. I'm in OC also, they told me if i wanted @home it would be $10 a month, which means anytime you are on a WIFI network (any WiFi network, other than "hot spots") and make calls it doesn't take out of your monthly minutes.

I've been using AIM (RIM) and i just checked my txt messages used and it says 0, but I don't know how current that is. but you wouldnt need to worry about that since you have unlimited messaging.

I have the data plan tho, can someone confirm that AIM uses that data plan rather than txt? it would make sense that it does.
    09-05-08 05:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD