Hello everybody, I've been using Blackberry since the Curve 8520 was on sales. Then it became obsolete, hardware still in perfect shape but hasn't 3G.
    Would be nice to be still be able to use it as a spare phone, for calls, sms/mms, music playback, photo/video notes, when traveling.

Wish I could install the latest OS version for that device...

Or I could give it to one of my friends who doesn't care about all the smartphone hysteria and stil uses a Nokia 7610 or 7250 for calling and texting, that's it. I am sure Balckberry's keyboard is much more convenient for texting and I amnot talking about user interface and navigation within.

Then I got a Bold 9700 which became damp in my pocket one time. Unfortunately I hadn't the proper tools at that time to open it end dry it. I have them now...
    Would like to try to restart it one day and update it, too
    For the same reasons as for the older one, except that this one has 3G and a better camera resolution.

On those both models and OS's, navigation on the internet wasn't interesting at all, slow and buggy.

That all disappeared with BB 10.
    So last year, despite the common malevolence of my friends against Blackberry, their psychological war to convince me not to buy one: "the company is about to close", I bought a splendid Blackberry Classic and discovered OS10. It is my first guenuine modern smartphone and I find it quite convenient...Except that Blackberry or RIM changed of their strategy and is, of course, not interested in their old models anymore, and that, more surprisingly, they abandonned their own OS.
    I hope it will be possible to use this Blackberry Classic to the last extent, untill it actually breaks or became beyond hardware reparation or way beyond software updates.
    This is why I suscribed on CrackBerry today, to get the most out of my pocket PC an being able to exchange with other BB users.

So, concerning the Blackberry universe, I am mostly interested by two aspects:
    - Making my present device work for as long as possible, preferably with BB solutions.
    - Making old devices usable again in the fierce modern world. Even if at the end I find myself with an Curve 8520 mp3 player rather than a Curve 8520 phone!

And a third aspect could be: physical keyboard forever!

Ciao a tutti

Fruit Berries
    jamesharmeling and eiruvrav like this.
    02-09-18 06:22 PM
    02-09-18 08:36 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry and enjoy the forums.
    02-11-18 01:57 PM
    Welcome aboard!
    02-11-18 02:44 PM
    Welcome aboard. Best advice I could give you? Sell the Classic and get a KEYone
    02-11-18 03:39 PM
    Hi.
    That's exactly the point, not being forced to get a new device.
    I'm running Android on a tablet by the way, wich is fine for me..
    02-11-18 05:04 PM
    Hi.
    That's exactly the point, not being forced to get a new device.
    Get a used KEYone then
    02-15-18 12:12 PM
    Hahaha! No, I mean my Classic is almost new. But who will buy it now? Throwing away hardware that is in pefect shape is a total waste in my opinion. But I get your point, the KEYone must be the last up to date device.
    02-16-18 07:25 AM
    Hahaha! No, I mean my Classic is almost new. But who will buy it now? Throwing away hardware that is in pefect shape is a total waste in my opinion. But I get your point, the KEYone must be the last up to date device.
    If you get a KEYone, you can still keep your Classic.
    02-16-18 10:57 PM
    And try to install Android Open Source Project OS on the Classic, or BlackBerry Android.
    What would the major obstacles to achieve that? Drivers? Architecture? If it runs on the KEYone would it be possible on the Classic?
    02-21-18 05:48 PM
    And try to install Android Open Source Project OS on the Classic, or BlackBerry Android.
    What would the major obstacles to achieve that? Drivers? Architecture? If it runs on the KEYone would it be possible on the Classic?
    The biggest hurdle is probably the locked bootloader; only signed (i.e. first party) software can load.
    02-21-18 06:06 PM
    On a computer, a bootloader is what is running after the bios and before the OS?
    02-21-18 06:53 PM
    On a computer, a bootloader is what is running after the bios and before the OS?
    Sort of.
    02-21-18 08:36 PM
    Interesting. Perhaps I should end the discussion here and search for some threads about that on the forum. But, ...
    Does it mean that Android has its own bootloader on other phone and tablet brands?
    Yes it does, as written in the page linked on the previous post.
    02-21-18 08:49 PM
    Interesting. Perhaps I should end the discussion here and search for some threads about that on the forum. But, ...
    Does it mean that Android has its own bootloader on other phone and tablet brands?
    Yes it does, as written in the page linked on the previous post.
    All mobile devices do, the question is whether it lets you fool around with what operating system is on the device. The bootloader on BB10 devices (as well as on BB Android devices and devices from several other OEMs) is locked tight, preventing modification of the OS.
    02-21-18 09:40 PM