Greetings,

obviously I'm new here, with only one week of BB experience.

Pros and cons so far:

+ GPS works well, googlemaps are good and free
    + Nice looking and solid phone
    + Customization!
    + WiFi rocks
    + UMA rocks

- BIS e-mail implementation is completely ********. That's a biggie for me. No access to IMAP folders and the timestamp on the messages appears to be screwed up. I don't need/want BES, and just want a normal IMAP client.
    - no VOIP client so far (haven't tried IM+ yes, it might work).
    - no software sync over BT
    - most themes put restrictions on what icons are on the bottom
    - the voice dial key on the left is annoying (too easy to press accidentally)
    10-28-08 01:17 PM
    To address the voice dialing button is easy, go to Options > Screen/Keyboard > left conv. key and reset it to something you prefer.
    Theme can be custom made by folks in the Themes/Wallpaper section here on Crackberry.com.
    Software sync - be more specific maybe someone can help with that.
    Sorry, I don't know anything about VIOP options.
    BIS should offer timestamping, what exactly do you need to see?
    10-28-08 01:32 PM
    1. Googles Gmail is IMAP and free.
    2. Skype's VOIP and IM works decent.
    3. DM works great for synching desktop personal information mangers. I am not sure what BT is.
    4. Some themes are specific to an OS, make sure the correct one is loaded.
    5. berry me with it addressed the convenience key.
    10-28-08 01:47 PM
    BT - bluetooth
    And some themes do restrict the 5 "home" icons on the dock or zen themes, but plazmic 4.6 will fix this and you can find some good themes now that won't restrict them, or get a custom one made.
    10-28-08 02:18 PM
    Thanks to all of you for feedback!

1. Googles Gmail is IMAP and free.
    Except that I don't want to change the address which I've been using for years (not Google), which is absolutely crucial to me. Besides, Gmail does NOT have folders, so the point is moot. And it doesn't solve the incorrect timestamp issue.

2. Skype's VOIP and IM works decent.
    Is there a Skype client for 8820?

3. DM works great for synching desktop personal information mangers. I am not sure what BT is.
    Bluetooth
    10-29-08 06:28 AM
    -----------------------------

By the way, to not sound all negative, I really love the super fast charging of my 8820. Haven't seen anything like that on any phone. In a just few minutes, I seem to get 30 to 50 % of charge. That is important and a plus.
    10-29-08 06:37 AM
    BIS should offer timestamping, what exactly do you need to see?
    You only get the time when the e-mail hit your BB, not the time it was sent. If you were out of coverage for some time, all the accumulated mail will show with the same timestamp. This is nuts.

Thanks for your help with the key.
    10-29-08 06:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD