Hello All,

New to Blackberries and Crackberry -- just got a Bold yesterday evening, and I feel somewhat overwhelmed!

Tried looking through some FAQ's but I still have some questions and would really appreciate any info!

1) It's an ATT Bold. Normally when I buy an electronic device I wipe it clean of the garbage that usually comes with it. I see things like "ATT Mall" and "ATT Music", etc. Are those useful for anything? I feel the urge to find a way to get rid of them.....

1b) Similar to above, there's an icon for "Get ATT Navigator". I don't want to just hide it. I want to delete it. Possible?

2) Can I put contacts into folders? I'd really like to have a "Work", and "Friends" contact folders...

3) What do users around here generally feel is the best browser for the bold at this point? Opera Mini?

4) I've added 2 email accounts so far: GMail and Army AKO (Have yet to determine if the AKO is working yet). Each time I add a new account, a new icon appears. So as of right now, when I receive an email to my gmail account, the "@gmail" email icon shows a "new message" star, as well as the regular "messages" icon. What purpose does the "messages" icon serve? Does it simply show ANY new messages from ANY source?

4B) AKO seems to not be working. What's the general opinion regarding BlackBerry Unite! And LogicMail?

5) I've downloaded some of the GMail apps and the YellowPages app... but I don't know where to look for new apps. Does Blackberry maintain a database of apps, or is there some central resource for apps? I know crackberry has a downloads section but it's not very easy to navigate..

6) [deleted]

7) I don't understand the purpose of the Desktop Manager... it doesn't seem to allow you to do much more than add / remove apps (which can be done on the blackberry directly) and backup / restore data. Am I missing something? I am somewhat shocked that you can't edit your address book in the DM...

8) Good resource for free themes?

9) Would a different theme allow more than 5 icons (the "short list") to be displayed on the home screen?

10) How long does it take to charge the Bold? Sure seems pretty slow...

11) I know there is a 'standby' mode, but can I turn the phone OFF? Holding the mute button puts it in standby... I can still receive calls right?

12) I'm running OS 4.6.0.167 -- How do I find out if I have the latest OS, and if I'm behind, where can I get new ones?

13) What is this "Mass Storage Mode"? It seems like it presents the device to a computer as a storage device (so you can browse the folders), but can prevent execution of any apps or other things by the device from those locations?

14) I've disabled "Browser Push" -- is there anything really nifty you can do with it? I don't care much for RSS feeds or anything like that..

15) What on earth are "Service Books"?

16) Is the only way to "Close" (and thus free up memory) from an application is through the menu? I use the "Back" button a lot and I find that it leaves a bunch of apps running in the background.

17) I think something is wrong with the 'dim backlight' feature. If I leave the phone alone it will go dim, but after picking it back up and using it, it remains dim and perhaps randomly (15 or 20 minutes later) will the screen jump back to full brightness (I have the brightness for the screen set to max). What's up with that?

18) The GChat application (blackberry.com/googletalk]) is over the data plan, right?

Thanks,
    -Austin
    11-08-08 05:39 PM
    1) You can delete some apps by going to Options > Advanced > App > menu > delete; if they are not there would have to delete it from desktop manager.
    2) No, you can set filters in your address book though.
    3) I just use the berry browser, but Opera is popular.
    4) Messages icon will show all messages including missed calls, unless you turn that off by going into the phone > menu > call logging > none.
    4b) Unite is also popular, but I haven't tried it.
    5) Here's a good start:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/popu...d-links-21096/
    7) Backup/restore is essential to maintaining your berry through tough times...also you can use it to upgrade OS, etc.
    8) Right here in the Theme and Wallpaper forum, pimpmyberry.com, themes4bb.com, etc....
    9) Generally it's 5 for the dock or zen theme. Some custom themes allow many more however.
    10) My curve takes couple hours, however, you will not overcharge it so I just leave it on all night.
    11) Yes, use the power off icon to turn the device off, or enable the auto on/off feature.
    12) You'll see the new one here. If you want to stay with the "released" version from AT&T you can check it here:
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites
    13) Turning mass storage mode on will allow you to transfer files directly to the berry by simply connecting to the PC through the usb cable, i.e. you will not need Roxio to transfer music.
    14) Browser push will enable sites to push new data while you are not viewing it, like updating threads on the wap.crackberry.com site for example!
    15) Service books allow the berry to recieve and send email through the BIS server, you need them and if you delete them, they will come back.
    16) Menu > Close
    17) There is a light sensor in the keypad that acts as an auto dimmer to save battery.
    18) Yes, that app will require data service.
    Welcome to crackberry!
    11-08-08 06:20 PM
    Wow, BMWI!

i read the OPs post and didn't have the ambition. Nice work here!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-08 06:22 PM
    I know, I thought the same thing! Couple at a time suntracker! ha ha. Hope I didn't miss anything.
    11-08-08 06:27 PM
    EDIT: Yeah sorry :[ I promise as time goes on I'll have exponentially fewer and fewer questions (hopefully)

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Few Follow Ups:

10) This is due to the type of battery used, right? "Trickle Charge" it's called?

13) The ATT Bold came with ring tones and some sample videos / music, yet nowhere can I browse to those files using Roxio or the Mass Storage option and searching through the folders. Do you know where they are hiding?

14) Does wap stand for wireless access point? Is it just another way to describe a mobile version of a website (like m. or mobile.) or is it something else?

17) Can I disable the sensor?

Few New questions:

A) The Gmail App works very nicely and is simple to use. Do you think there's any advantage besides Push to accessing GMAIL through BIS instead of the app?

B) When you create a backup using the DM, does it grab /everything/ ? Would it store applications? Media Files?

Thanks again... I sincerely appreciate the help!
    -Austin
    Last edited by suntracker; 11-08-08 at 06:43 PM.
    11-08-08 06:35 PM
    10) Li-ion battery will not overcharge.
    13) Open media > menu > explore
    14) wireless application protocol
    17)What sensor? LED?
    A) The gmail app does not allow the use of attachments.
    B) Store media files on a media card (see memory opt in my signature) backup grabs just about everything except certain 3rd party apps.
    11-08-08 06:42 PM
    17) Yeah the light sensor for dimming the LCD display.

I'm out of questions! I can't even think of anymore!

11-08-08 07:30 PM
    17) I don't believe so. There are many threads about this and I couldn't find one with a fix.
    11-08-08 07:40 PM
    Oh, and give it a day or so, you'll come up with more questions!
    11-08-08 07:40 PM
    I'm telling you, I'm reading this thread and anybody who doesn't think that cb addicts aren't the best needs to use this as exhibit 1.

11-08-08 07:56 PM
    I'm telling you, I'm reading this thread and anybody who doesn't think that cb addicts aren't the best needs to use this as exhibit 1.

Indeed. Well said.
    11-08-08 08:33 PM
    Yes, thank you for the warm and very helpful reception.
    11-08-08 11:31 PM
    I would just like to thank Berry me with it for taking the time and patience to answer the questions. Simply Awesome!
    11-08-08 11:49 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry Austin.

Like the others, I was bogging down half way through your list of questions. Then I saw the fine post BMWI made, all the question addressed. Way to go guys.

7) I don't understand the purpose of the Desktop Manager... it doesn't seem to allow you to do much more than add / remove apps (which can be done on the blackberry directly) and backup / restore data. Am I missing something? I am somewhat shocked that you can't edit your address book in the DM...
    BlackBerry Desktop Manager has several key features, among them Backup and Synchronizing with other computers, managing media and device software updates.

Some additional features would have been nice, but nature abhors a vacuum and so do software developers.

Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Editor, edit contacts in IPD files

This link will allow you to download ABC Amber BlackBerry Editor. It will do contact editing among other things.
    11-09-08 10:47 AM
    Good stuff berry me with it.

OP: Welcome to crackberry!
    11-09-08 11:54 AM
    BMWI, I bow to your intelligence, patience and diligence!!! And Suntracker, great questions! KUDOS to both of you. And, welcome to CB!
    11-09-08 06:41 PM
    Hey 'bury me with it'- you have the patiences of a saint to go question by question with the newbie, and I applaud you, as all of us seem to be learning from you!
    tHaNks

Can I try a q? Of course we all know how to assign a ringtone per caller so we don't even have to look at the phone to know who is calling, but I would like to custom the Text Messaging also. I get CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News alerts, for example, that have the same tone as my friends texting me. Can I make TEXT MESSAGE alerts customized per person?
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by TheMilkyWay; 11-19-08 at 12:04 PM.
    11-19-08 11:59 AM
    Outstanding Job BMWI !!

I knew the answer to one or two of the questions, I had to stop for a brief nap before I finished reading....Hey I'm Old.
    11-19-08 12:19 PM
    100% PROPS to Berry Me With It.

Dude, you're a rock star. Thanks for taking one for the team! :-) LOL

I'm just going to follow your posts and bask in your glow!
    11-19-08 10:12 PM
    how do you transfer bb themes to your desktop manager after you have downloaded it???
    05-18-09 10:09 PM
    *moved to my own post, sorry to invade this thread with my own questions
    Last edited by blackedbold; 05-18-09 at 11:17 PM.
    05-18-09 11:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD