I'm a happy windows phone user but have been curious about bb10. I had a no interest credit line burning a hole in my pocket so I picked up a z10... the os great. Messaging is without rival, the gestures are the best I've ever user and the keyboard is amazing.

I'm not ready to make it my daily driver, too many app/workflow/ecosystem holes but there's so much potential, I believe I'll hang on to this device.

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-11-13 12:04 AM
    Welcome to the CB side of the forums. It'll grow on you and it won't be long before it's your daily driver
    06-11-13 12:17 AM
    Good to hear you like it
    What apps are you looking for?
    06-11-13 12:18 AM
    Good to hear you like it
    What apps are you looking for?
    06-11-13 12:26 AM
    Welcome to the dark side young padawan.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    06-11-13 12:30 AM
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

My biggest holes are: runtastic, my fitness pal, subscription music (I use zune now, rdio or spotify would suffice) and ever note. Remember is better than nothing but still not the full experience. I've also become rather reliant on my photos automatically just appearing on sky drive.

Another impediment to me really moving my sim over is win phone 8 backs up all my sms... yeah, I'm rolling my eyes at me too there...

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 12:33 AM
    I thought runtactic was also on bb10.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    06-11-13 12:39 AM
    I think Endomondo is a good alternative.
    06-11-13 12:40 AM
    Lol, he probably doesn't know you can sideload Imstagram.And I'm always looking for new app ideas
    Lendo likes this.
    06-11-13 12:47 AM
    Love reading posts like the OP. He was open minded and gave bb10 a shot and i think his thoughts are bang on. It definitely has great messaging with the hub, efficient and smooth swiping gestures and the best virtual keyboard ever made. There are definitely things that are not yet polished or running perfectly yet and there is room for much improvement. The OS is young and has soooo much potential and I can't wait to see where bb10 will go.

Anyways to the OP, welcome to crackberry and welcome to BlackBerry 10.
    Thank you for your honest thoughts on the device and OS. I am confident that one day it will be your daily driver.

Kick'n it with my Z10. #BB10believe
    06-11-13 01:14 AM
    Oh, night mode is cool too!

I'm reminded of my time with WebOS--then, too, I loved a gesture based os with little more than the os. Of course not having hp at the helm, bb10 should have a happier ending.

Had I just bought this phone not coming from another ecosystem I'd be delighted. It's a tough transition when you have to give up a great deal of services and functionality.

But this keyboard...

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 08:24 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Take a look around at sideloading section for what can be done with android app on the BB10 devices. http://forums.crackberry.com/android...eloading-f279/
    Lendo likes this.
    06-11-13 10:10 AM
    Welcome! I use myfitnesspal too, and I miss that app dearly! However, a decent alternative is to create a bookmark to the myfitnesspal website and add it onto your app list. It's not as slick and smooth like the app you're used to, but for casual calorie counting on the go it works just fine.
    06-11-13 10:19 AM
    Dropped the sim in and have used it for a week to give it a fair shake. Messaging and one hand use are sublime... but coming from another platform it still feels immature. There's a lot missing by comparison.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 08:45 PM
    Dropped the sim in and have used it for a week to give it a fair shake. Messaging and one hand use are sublime... but coming from another platform it still feels immature. There's a lot missing by comparison.

Posted via CB10
    Details my friend?
    06-29-13 08:47 PM
    This thread has been so friendly... I don't want to conjure the tired old apps argument.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 08:50 PM
    I know I'm a little late in saying this..but..

Welcome to the forums, and congrats on your Z10
    06-30-13 12:50 AM
    This thread has been so friendly... I don't want to conjure the tired old apps argument.

Posted via CB10
    I hear you. I also switched from another platform (iOS) and I gotta say I honestly love my Z10. The only issue I have are the lack of big name Apps. I think BB should invest in bringing top name developers to BB10. I could have converted many people to BB, if it wasn't for ____(App name)____ not being on the platform.
    06-30-13 02:57 PM
    welcome to the forums , a late welcome lol !
    07-01-13 05:13 AM
    So, more than a month later... my feelings are still really mixed. In this month, the Z10 has been my daily driver -- in part by intent, but also due to circumstances. I dropped my sim into the Z10 and used it for about a week; put it back in my 920, dropped and broke my 920, then went back and forth between Z10 and Samsung S-III until last Friday when I got my 920 back.

Here's the tldr: At the end of the day, while I love the Z10 it just can't do everything I need it to do. Windows Phone can. iPhone can. Android can. I can't blame Blackberry for not including this functionality in their phones, but in this day and age, a smart phone has to be more than a phone to justify investment of ownership. App ecosystem is important.

Of these three devices, the Z10 could be my favorite... but caveats. The things it did, I loved. Its keyboard is fantastic, cannot be beat for one handed typing (Windows Phone 8 is king for 2-thumb though). The Z10 form factor is perfect, especially for one-handed usage. Hub/peak are great and the notification LED is something sorely missing in the Windows Phone ecosystem. Every minute I spend with another phone, I find myself missing the Z10.

Unfortunately, every minute I spend with Z10 I find myself missing critical functionality. I have to reach for another device to perform daily tasks. While these things are not critical to everyone, they're not trivial to me.

First and foremost, myfitnesspal. After some rough years in my personal life that took their tolls on my body, this year has been a journey to get back into shape. It's been pretty successful, in no small way because of myfitnesspal. I log every calorie that goes in and every one that goes out--and I can't do any of this well on the Z10. I've tried sideloading the Android version of the app, but you can't search effectively (hitting space totally screws up input) and you can't scan bar codes (crashes the app). Using the MFP site in the browser is possible, but quite horrible--and still, no bar code scanning. At home, I just keep a phone in the kitchen for food logging, but when I'm not home that's not an option.

Secondly, music apps--options on the Z10 are unsatisfactory. Granted, I'm spoiled by the presence of Xbox Music on Windows Phone--but I could live without it if there was a good alternative in BB World. There is not. Slacker is ok, but even on its best day, it's no Xbox music/rdio/spotify, etc. Furthermore, when trying to combine 4g music streaming + activity logging, the apps conflict some how. After a while, sound cuts out and I have to reboot the phone to get it to play back music. I've run into this both with runtastic and sports tracker in combination with various options of the limited music apps available, including slacker. The last thing I want to do 15 miles into the middle of nowhere on the highway on bicycle is stop my workout and reboot the phone to get music back only to lose it again anyway.

At the end of the day, while I love the Z10 it just can't do everything I need it to do. Windows Phone can. iPhone can. Android can. I can't blame Blackberry for not including this functionality in their phones, but in this day and age, a smart phone has to be more than a phone to justify investment of ownership. App ecosystem is important.

I'm sure I'll keep sim swapping (Wish that didn't require a full battery pull!), but as much as I love the Z10 it's more convenient to carry one device that can do everything I need it to.

Edit: One more personal thought--I wish side loading wasn't an option. It was a real selling point initially, something I was excited about, but I don't have a single side loaded app I'm happy with. Best case, it's incredibly slow (Evernote, Instagram); often functionally partially incompatible (myfitnesspal, fitbit) -- either way, it's just been disappointing.

My feeling toward Android ports isn't much sunnier. I remember when I first went to Windows Phone; while it had sparse app selection, what was there was top notch and written in the design language of the OS. Now the app selection is better than BB10 and the quality has remained high. When there's a new app, it's a native app. While native apps for BB10 are great, it's too easy (and as such too common) to just throw a port on there. Even the best ports are sad by comparison to a proper bb10 app.
    Last edited by theprawn; 07-29-13 at 09:13 AM.
    07-29-13 08:55 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry

Posted via CB10
    07-30-13 11:35 AM
    Awecome, welcome to BB!
    07-31-13 02:24 PM