Hi, I just got a pearl flip last week, and I'm still getting it set up the way I like it. But I used to use a Windows Mobile PDA, so I'm trying to mostly keep doing the same kind of things I used to do with it, but one big problem I'm having is getting files to sync. Is there any way to sync files in internal memory while syncing up outlook data? So basically, you have a directory somewhere on your computer that has a mirror of all the files you have on your mobile, and when you sync it finds changes in the local directory and syncs them to the phone, and changes in the phone get synced back to the local directory, and so on. This is a very easy thing to set up in WinMo, so I assumed there would be a way to do it on a BB, but googling hasn't given me much hope. It seems like it should just be a matter of getting a desktop manager sync add-in that would do it. But I'm having no luck finding one, anyone heard of one? Thanks!
    11-18-08 01:49 PM
    What kind of files? You shouldn't use the device memory as a mass storage device. Get a media card for that. There isn't anything exactly what you want, but I would imagine you could find a program for your desktop that will sync changes in a folder with a folder on a media with mass storage mode enabled. You would need to start the sync yourself and have the device plugged in.
    11-18-08 01:58 PM
    Yeah, I suppose that would work. How do you set it as a mass storage device again? But I don't know, it sounds like it should be the easiest add-in to write, maybe I'll go look for a development kit for add-ins and see if I can code it up myself. Thanks for the help, though.
    11-18-08 05:35 PM
    Options > Media Card.
    11-18-08 06:08 PM
    Hey Cordis,

Welcome to CB!
    11-18-08 08:01 PM
    Thanks for the welcome! And thanks for the tip, but on the flip I have it appears to be under options > memory. And I never did mention what types of files I was looking at, basically I have a couple of little text files and spreadsheets I use to keep track of some stuff, they're all less than 100k so keeping them on the device isn't a big problem, and the 'X to go' apps seem to read them ok (although I still have to install a text editor, sheesh). So they're basically just small files I take random notes in, and I'd love to get them synced. I dunno, I'll probably see if I can find a dev kit for sync add-ins and write it myself, nobody else seems to have even thought of this. Yikes.
    11-18-08 08:49 PM
    Sounds good you got it figured out. Welcome to CB.
    11-18-08 10:48 PM
    cordis, I've got EXACTLY the same issue as you. Did you find a solution yet?

Auto file-sync on device-connect was so easy with both the Audiovox 6600 (Windows Mobile) and the Palm Tungsten I had before it that it's surprising (nay, unbelievable) that it isn't even possible with a blackberry. We must just be missing something...
    12-10-08 10:30 PM
    To our newest members,

Welcome to CB!

Feel free to post your questions. There's always an addict around that can assist you.

Enjoy your addiction™
    12-11-08 06:33 AM
    OK, not quite an autosync, but pretty close: the MS synctoy is able to synchronize all paired folders you setup with it with just one click. You can have folders on your computer paired to those on a removable drive (i.e., the blackberry's media card in mass storage mode). So, if you leave the sync toy open, this reduces the task of moving files around to just one click in the sync toy window. ("Microsoft SyncToy v2.0")

Also, I found some adds for a program ("memeo autosync") that claims to autodetect usb drives and sync with ZERO clicks: but this one isn't free like synctoy. Haven't tried it out myself yet.

I'd link you to the sites for these things, but I don't have 10 posts on crackberry yet :P
    12-11-08 11:05 PM
    Synctoy is GREAT! I've been searching for something like this since I got this crackberry. It's almost complete now.

If they would just come out with a good database developement environment that supports forms, it really would be complete.
    01-03-09 01:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD