Hello all - I'm a potential Crackberry newbie...

Hoping for some direction to push me off the fence. I've been a Treo650 user for 2 years, and I am considering moving over to the 8830 on the Verizon network...

I'm fond of the 650 and especially appreciate the PULL technology from VersaMail that allows me to have email from both personal (Yahoo / Gmail) and Work (not BES) delivered to me only when I ask for it ---- which for me means when I am NOT in the office.

I not excited about having to manage work email on my BB while I'm in the office and have Outlook open, or to have work email streaming through to me at 1am on a Saturday night...

I hear so many good things about BB in general, I need to understand if this one major issue described above can be managed. If so, I'M IN... If not, well - let's cross that bridge when we get there.

Let the advice begin
    07-11-07 02:15 PM
    Hey! Glad you're thinking about converting to the Crackberry cult (jk )...I'm on Verizon and I'm using an 8830...I haven't used the Treo stuff much, but I had a Pocket PC with Verizon before I switched to my Crackberry...

(Crackberry geniuses correct me if I'm wrong) but I'm pretty sure, at least with Verizon, that you can set your e-mail to check simply when you want it to...I'm pretty sure that's possible on a Crackberry...I know I had that option when I was on my Audiovox XV6700 Pocket PC...

I was amazed at how much better the BBs are compared to other PDAs...I wish I had switched over years ago!
    07-11-07 02:39 PM
    With BlackBerry's email come in, virtually instantly, regardless! BUT, if you're using a POP3 (PULL) account (and it's not being forwarded to your BlackBerry email address) it would be delivered every 15 minutes, or so...

Except for GMail / Yahoo and in some cases Hotmail, they are instant, since they are PUSH accounts...
    07-11-07 02:42 PM
    Navilyn,

Is it possible to "turn off" the email delivery on an 8830 BB so that when in my office - with access to Outlook - I will not have emails sent to both my PC and my BB?

With an avg of 70+ business emails/day - it would be very time consuming to have to react to / delete them on the BB device as well as on the PC.

Hope this can be done!

Thanks for your help.
    07-11-07 02:57 PM

You can apply filters to your email on your blackberry. This will allow you to decide which emails go to your phone and your pc. You can forward emails, and block them as well. I was an avid Treo user, my latest being the Treo 680. I loved it until I used the blackberry 8800. I have always had a blackberry over the years, but the 8800 is my favorite so far. Waiting to get a curve. There is nothing like a BB. You can do so many things with a BB that you can't with a Treo or any other PDA/smartphone. You also do not need a special GPS card on an 8800, like on the Treo. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the BB.
    07-11-07 03:54 PM
    If connected to your pc, you can check the box in desktop (DM) manager, "disable redirection when connected to DM)...

Navilyn,

Is it possible to "turn off" the email delivery on an 8830 BB so that when in my office - with access to Outlook - I will not have emails sent to both my PC and my BB?

With an avg of 70+ business emails/day - it would be very time consuming to have to react to / delete them on the BB device as well as on the PC.

Hope this can be done!

Thanks for your help.
    07-11-07 06:29 PM
    If connected to your pc, you can check the box in desktop (DM) manager, "disable redirection when connected to DM)...
    Where can you do this at? I haven't seen that option on DM.
    07-11-07 08:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD