Does anyone know if you have to get the enterprise plan to push exchange email, I have an iPhone and it can do the whole exchange thing without needing the enterprise plan, it works with regular data plan. Thanks. Just want to see if i can use exchange with out a using the BES and stuff like that.
    Last edited by jasunto; 11-17-08 at 06:41 AM.
    11-17-08 05:35 AM
    If you can get your Exchange email via the web or from a POP3 client like Outlook then you should be able to just add that account to your BIS setup.
    11-17-08 07:05 AM
    yeah right now on iphone it just connects to our web interface and works fine, but im looking to go to BB bold now and i am investigating my options
    11-17-08 07:18 AM
    My endless research on this topic was driven by a few things.
    1. I am the only BB user at our site and don't want to setup,managed BES.
    2. Licensing fees for BES. I have not researched if there are setup/monthly or other fees from RIM. We don't have budget either way.
    3. THIS IS THE DEAL BREAKER: If you are on BES, as I understand it, ALL email/web sites EVERYTHING you do is tracked in BES server. When you go online to visit "personnal" websites, these requests get routed thru BES and follow your companies internet usage policies. In short, NOTHING you do on any BB, while tethered to BES, is considered private to you. Is this bad ? not according to my boss, but to me, forget it.

How do you get Exchange on BB without BES ?
    Its semi painful, but it can happen and is what I will setup when I get my Storm.
    1. Setup a Google gmail account with email and calendar.
    2. Download the gmail program to your BB to autosync your BB to Gmail.
    3. Procure any of the $25 programs online that you install on your work desktop that will sync your Outlook with Gmail. The freebie downloads also sync, but not auto; they require you to hit a toolbar button.

Option 2: Use USB cable at work and sync thru that.

Hope this helps, Tom
    11-18-08 01:21 PM
    i heard with only BIS from carrier and not BES you can use exchange as long as your exchange has the outlook web access feature turned on, is this true?
    11-18-08 03:56 PM
    I used to use the BES... for nearly a year... then i realized what my BES Admin had access to. (I guess i am lucky i still have a job.) Anyway, we have OWA and i can use BIS pop. The email push is great. I can now sync my contacts with my personal Yahoo or Gmail and only get my work email to my device. Using the USB sync for my Outlook (work) calendar isnt at all bad. I usually do it once or twice a day depending on how many updates i get to my calendar. Not a problem. It will work much like an iphone will for you with OWA.
    11-18-08 04:05 PM
    One thing to consider, without BES, is the "FROM" address when you respond from your BB. Without BES, you cannot send "FROM" your work email.

I am intrigued by OWA setup and will research. We do have OWA and if its possible, I will get it working.
    11-18-08 08:19 PM
    I'm the only BB user in my office, and we're a small office so BES costs are not in the budget. I use BB Redirector for my Exchange mail, and then bought a 3rd party app called BBSync which syncs up everything else in OUtlook-notes, tasks, calendar, etc. I used just Redirector for a while and then realized that my calendar changes on my BB weren't showing up at the office, which was when I realized that Redirector only did my e-mail. BB Sync has a $54.95/yr fee for the sync service, but so far it's been flawless.
    11-22-08 05:14 PM
    Hey Jasunto, welcome to CB!
    11-23-08 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD