I was reading an article over at phonescoop dot com on data speeds and AT&T how they boosted there speed but compared to Verizons speed it seems that theres is considerably slower and I am wondering how the heck people are dealing with slow speeds now maybe you don't need rocket speed in order to deal with email and surfing the web on these networks but it does throw a curve ball in a sense as to what carrier to go too when it comes to data speeds.

If I am missing something or have the wrong interpretation please let me know.
    07-04-07 07:56 AM
    You're right to a degree. Verizon is the 'quickest', thus far. But, 3G and the likes are around the corner (talking about the U.S, here). I guess the flip side is, who wants to deal with Verizon's BS! Prime example, on Verizon at present with the 8830, you can't use the GPS that the device was designed for. Well, not yet at least, where as other carriers you can...

I think when choosing a service provider, you have to ask:
    1. Do I get service in all the places I visit...
    2. What devices do they offer...
    3. Speeds of service...

In that order, too. The reason I say this, you also have to consider how often will I be on the internet / downloading items from my device. Answers to questions like this might make you see, "oh, I can do with slower speeds, for better 'service / device choices'", know what I mean?
    07-04-07 09:40 AM
    I've used a number of different providers over the years, and I've had Verizon for the last 2 years or so...you're right, they do have pretty sketchy customer service & they're a bit sleazy now and then in their advertising (yes, I do have an 8830 that I was expecting to use for GPS...crap!)...but their network is great...data speeds are fast & I'm never out of service...that's pretty much why I stay with them...
    07-05-07 05:01 PM
    I have tried the 8800 at the AT&T store and the 8830 at VZW's store and down the same surfing and downloads and do NOT see or experience the difference between the two networks, call quality is great on both of them also. Its only a matter of time before someone hacks the GPS functionality of the 8830. Still not a 100% sure of which BB or provider.
    07-05-07 09:09 PM
    I have used a BB on Verizon and on T-Mobile. In my opinion, you will hardly see any difference in speeds when surfing on the device itself. You would notice a difference if you choose to tether with the device.

So, if you plan on tethering, Verizon might be better, but it's very pricy. If you don't plan on tethering, I think AT&T is the better choice since you said they both have good call quality.
    07-05-07 09:26 PM
    I have used a BB on Verizon and on T-Mobile. In my opinion, you will hardly see any difference in speeds when surfing on the device itself. You would notice a difference if you choose to tether with the device.

So, if you plan on tethering, Verizon might be better, but it's very pricy. If you don't plan on tethering, I think AT&T is the better choice since you said they both have good call quality.
    Dumb question if you tether from time to time and dont download large amounts of data can they (VZW or AT&T) See this? I see no reason to tether, but from time to time it could happen, but only if either or both of them will tether to a Macbook Pro which I think they will .

OT u have to pay for a case/holster with AT&T and with VZW it comes with it? Anything else I should look for ?
    07-05-07 09:40 PM
    For both Verizon and AT&T you have to pay for tethering service as part of your monthly fee. I believe it is $59.99 for Verizon and $44.99 for AT&T, that includes your unlimited data on both. As far as tethering on a Macbook, I have no idea. Strictly a PC man myself.

The 8800/8830 I believe comes with a case on both carriers, but the Curve does not come with a case on AT&T.
    07-05-07 10:21 PM
    Its only a matter of time before someone hacks the GPS functionality of the 8830. Still not a 100% sure of which BB or provider.[/QUOTE]

No need, Verizon wants to put out its own LBS. August/Sept.
    07-05-07 11:37 PM
    The point is that you shouldn't have to pay for the GPS service as it works for free with AT&T/T-Mobile along with BB Maps and Google Maps on the 8800 series.
    07-06-07 10:58 AM
    The point is that you shouldn't have to pay for the GPS service as it works for free with AT&T/T-Mobile along with BB Maps and Google Maps on the 8800 series.
    This is one of the MAIN reasons that I have a problem with staying with Verizon. You cripple a perfectly good device to make money off of it. Yes your in this business to make to money, But at what expense? In my case if I stay and want GPS I either pay YOU or get a free service and maps. Hmmmmmm saving money. Works for me.

With AT&T GPS is enabled, BUT If I have to send the phone/PDA out for exchange then I either have to wait for overnight shipping (which I have to pay for) and to the best of my research so far they have NO insurance, which I am not 100% happy with but its a security feeling if you know what I mean.

Sorry if I got off the original subject.
    Last edited by Jarhead; 07-06-07 at 06:03 PM.
    07-06-07 06:01 PM
    I have heavily researched my next plan and carrier because I currently am out of contract. What I found was that verizons prices are basically triple the cost from tmo's prices and the device has less functionality. Also, tmobile even throws in hotspot(wifi) coverage with some of their bb plans. Bottom line, unless you need verizons large coverage area, there's virtually no advantages to choosing them.I've had tmo for 4 years and I've never been in a town where I couldn't at least roam for free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-07 11:06 PM
    I have heavily researched my next plan and carrier because I currently am out of contract. What I found was that verizons prices are basically triple the cost from tmo's prices and the device has less functionality. Also, tmobile even throws in hotspot(wifi) coverage with some of their bb plans. Bottom line, unless you need verizons large coverage area, there's virtually no advantages to choosing them.I've had tmo for 4 years and I've never been in a town where I couldn't at least roam for free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    There coverage is great in the Albany NY area where I am from but where I travel too its to spotty or nothing at all. VZW & AT&T are the best at that, Sprint has way too many billing problems that I have heard of from local people that have it, so I'm not going through that.

AT&T seems to be what I am going to try , since I get a serious discount on equipment and service the girl told me you do NOT go through normal customer service you go through the business side of the house. May be better may not.
    07-07-07 07:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD