Hey all,

If I have Wi-Fi set on my Blackberry Bold, does the BES and BIS automatically go through the Wi-Fi? Or do they use the 3G? I've turned off Mobile Network and emails still go through. I'm not 100% tho so I figured I'd ask..

Cheers
    09-02-08 09:29 PM
    i get all of my emails when i am on UMA it still uses the mobile network even if you are on wi fi
    09-02-08 09:31 PM
    i get all of my emails when i am on UMA it still uses the mobile network even if you are on wi fi
    Its a bit confusing because when you go to MANAGE CONNECTIONS, and u click Services Status, it states that BIS and BES use Wi-Fi whereas the phone uses Mobile Network. Care to elaborate? This is for the BB Bold.
    09-02-08 09:34 PM
    ya it says the same thing on my curve for bis and bes and my mobile network says uma. did you try sending yourself an email ?
    09-02-08 09:56 PM
    oh nevermind i see now that your emails still come through they will go through wi fi as long as your are connected to your router
    09-02-08 09:57 PM
    See, I thought that way as well. However, when I turn off the Mobile Network, I can still browse webpages using the "Blackberry Browser". Yet it is seemingly not going through Wi-Fi, because I can't connect to my router as I can when using the Hotspot Browser.

Any thoughts?
    09-02-08 10:52 PM
    Honestly, I am not sure if the Bold supports UMA on Rogers... or any carrier.

You will need to have some form of connection to your carrier (either UMA, 3G or EDGE) to send emails through BES/BIS If you can, in fact, use WiFi and connect via UMA... then it will work.

If not, then... it will not work I could not say since I have not used a Bold
    09-03-08 12:02 AM
    Honestly, I am not sure if the Bold supports UMA on Rogers... or any carrier.

You will need to have some form of connection to your carrier (either UMA, 3G or EDGE) to send emails through BES/BIS If you can, in fact, use WiFi and connect via UMA... then it will work.

If not, then... it will not work I could not say since I have not used a Bold
    If that held true, how does it work that I can still send out emails but cannot send txt or make phone calls when I turn off my Mobile Network but leave Wi-Fi on?
    09-03-08 07:27 AM
    Well... it seems as though you are answering your own question. Only wifi, you can send/receive emails and browse the internet. This doesn't allow for calls/text over UMA.

This is a total guess, but WiFi and UMA I thought were two different things.
    09-04-08 02:13 AM
    09-04-08 02:15 AM
    With wi-fi you are using BB servers and hence ability to use browser etc. Phone and SMS require that the Phone be on because SMS is still via the phone capabilities.
    09-04-08 05:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD