10-07-08 07:00 AM
27 12
tools
    So I haven't purchased my first BB yet, but I'm pretty settled on the Curve. I finally went into the store today to actually put my hands on one, and my fingers felt so fat! I attempted typing a few sentences (of course it was just a model, so it's not like I could see the results of my typing), and it felt like I was hitting every key nest to the one I wanted. Or if I was really careful about it, then the typing just seemd slow and awkward.

...so tell me, how long does it take to accomplish efficient, mostly error-free typing. The whole thing felt so forign to me, that I ended up walking out discouraged.

(keep in mind, this is my very first smart phone of any kind, and I never text on my cell phone)

Please tell me its not so bad...
    10-04-08 05:33 PM
    It gets easier once you know where the keys are. You'll be fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-08 05:37 PM
    Blue is correct. This device is very user friendly and incredibly easy to type on once you get used to it.

10-04-08 05:38 PM
    You will quickly develop tiny callous on your thumb tips, we all have them.

The Curve and Bold have a really nice keyboard. The Pearl, on the other hand, has a tiny keyboard and multiple letter on most keys. That takes some adjusting, but it is worth the effort.
    10-04-08 05:40 PM
    I also have big fingers and thought it would be a problem but it isn't.

Also, you might want to check Amazon to purchase your Curve. I got mine there last December for FREE. It was $99.00 and there was 2 - $50.00 rebates.
    10-04-08 06:01 PM
    So I haven't purchased my first BB yet, but I'm pretty settled on the Curve. I finally went into the store today to actually put my hands on one, and my fingers felt so fat! I attempted typing a few sentences (of course it was just a model, so it's not like I could see the results of my typing), and it felt like I was hitting every key nest to the one I wanted. Or if I was really careful about it, then the typing just seemd slow and awkward.

...so tell me, how long does it take to accomplish efficient, mostly error-free typing. The whole thing felt so forign to me, that I ended up walking out discouraged.

(keep in mind, this is my very first smart phone of any kind, and I never text on my cell phone)

Please tell me its not so bad...
    Well I have not seen how fat your fingers are, but unless you're in the circus you should be fine. Once you type 8 or 10 names into your address book and send a few text msgs./emails I think you'll find it's pretty darn quick.

My method is the "2-thumbs-up" style of typing.

Hold your hands out together and open like you're about to receive some blessed item in them (but with your phone in the middle instead) and let your thumbs go to town.
    10-04-08 06:02 PM
    I felt the same as you the first time I tried a curve out in the store, but read lots of posts with people saying that you get used to it pretty quick. I am so glad that I listened and decided to go ahead and get the curve. This thing is such a blast to mess around with, and I got used to the keyboard very quickly. By the way, my thumbs are not small

10-04-08 06:17 PM
    Thanks everyone, this is very encouraging to hear...

And especially thanks for going through the trouble of posting a pic for my benifit!
    10-04-08 06:29 PM
    Thanks everyone, this is very encouraging to hear...

And especially thanks for going through the trouble of posting a pic for my benifit!
    You are very welcome. Don't even ask HOW I got that picture. Sometime you try tucking your phone under your chin, pushing the button and getting your hands back into position in time for the photo.

First comes the Blackberry, then comes the talent you never knew you had.
    10-04-08 08:13 PM
    I want to see a video of you doing that, Daddy!

And don't worry about it North. I am pretty fast at it -- and this is my first smart phone as well. I mostly use the edge of my thumbnails. For practice, I almost always visit CB with my BlackBerry instead of my computer -- even if it's just a few feet away.

10-04-08 08:31 PM
    I can tell you, it will get easier. I have big fingers. The in-store experience can only give you so much. After you have it for a week or two, you'll see the transition from being difficult to not even looking when typing.
    10-04-08 09:13 PM
    I have a pearl and texting was very difficult at first. I'm not a pro but it gets better with practice. Good luck! That was my first concern too.

10-05-08 10:44 AM
    you will deff. get use to typing and texting and everything else on your bb i do think we all thought the same thing how will i ever type with these little keys .....its get very easy after a few trys so not to worry
    enjoy the curve when u get it and enjoy the addiction thats soon to follow
    10-05-08 10:51 AM
    I found the keyboard on the Curve a bit cramped, but I came from a Moto Q9h which was like typist's heaven. After 2 weeks, I've gotten used to the Curve's keyboard and I type with very few errors. I'm not fast but at least I type fluently.

Maybe in a month I might have conquered my next milestone - typing without looking at the keyboard!
    10-05-08 11:02 AM
    I got my BB Curve specifically to make text messages and emails easier to type. I can type at about 30 words per minute which isn't bad since my typing on a full keyboard is about 50 lol I've got the big thumb problem too, you totally get used to it, even the Alt-(whatever key) to get symbols and punctuation.
    10-05-08 11:19 AM
    I love the keyboard! Its extremely easy to type on, that's probably one of the biggest reasons I love this phone! Granted I used a similar keyboard on my old phone for 2 yrs, you will love the curve! It shouldn't take long at all to get used to.

10-05-08 11:26 AM
    Two words:

Jazz Hands

Problem solved
    10-05-08 11:26 AM
    I can only echo the sentiments already posted. You do get used to it. My first hurdle on a BB overall was getting used to typing onto a mini-QWERTY keyboard a year ago on my 7290. The second (small) hurdle was going from a keyboard setup that's spaced a bit out to the setup on my Bold.
    10-05-08 11:36 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!!

I am now trying to get used to typing with longer nails =) but it doesnt take long at all!
    10-05-08 11:39 AM
    I too have a 'bunch of bananas' for fingers. It does take time to learn the trick of typing on a Blackberry keyboard.

Apart from the afore mentioned callouses on your thumbs (a bit like a guitar player has on his/her left hand) you develope a feel for just were the keys are. This results in you pressing the correct key more accurately that you would by seeing it because your fingers develop a kind of button sensitivity that again is a bit like a guitar player. Your fingers just find the correct key (unless you cannot spell). even then there is AutoText that will correct acn and make it can as soon as you press space as the next character.
    10-05-08 11:42 AM
    My thumbs are huge 1" thick at the tip and slightly thicker at the knuckle. I very rarely make an error it typing from hitting more than one key at a time. I have had people comment about how crazy fast I can type on it as well.
    10-06-08 11:54 AM
    I think it is something that will get better the more you use it....I'll find out when I get a new phone, I'm sure I'll have a readjustment period.
    10-06-08 12:16 PM
    Definitely go pick up the Curve. The keypad seems small at first but you def. get used to it.

Just a few tips to make it a little bit easier:

1:Holding down a letter for an extra second will turn it to a capital.

2:Hitting space twice at the end of a sentence will create a period.

Last edited by BerryThumbs; 10-06-08 at 01:26 PM.
    10-06-08 01:20 PM
    You'll get used to it. I felt the same way you did in the store. It's hard to type on those display phones because of the security thing on the back. Once you get one of your own, typing becomes easier. I'm doing a lot better after a few days myself

10-06-08 02:50 PM
    I never text when I had a cell phone. It didn't take me long to get used to the keyboard on my BB. Most of the time I don't have to even look at the keys anymore.

10-07-08 06:48 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD