Hi Folks, let me start by saying that I currently don't even own a BlackBerry, but I'm a big fan of the CrackBerry website/podcast and when the Bold hits the UK it will be mine.

I'm just trying to get ahead of the game and I've just got a few questions about how Desktop Manager works and how it can help me lead a perfectly synchronized life. It's also worth mentioning that I'll be running the phone on a BIS and not a BES.

1. Firstly, contacts and calenders.

I take it that if I were to create an appointment or contact via MS Outlook 2007 on my work PC, it would sync with the BB device via USB and Desktop Manager. Would I then be able to transfer that data onto my home laptop running MS Outlook 2007, again using Desktop Manager?

2. Secondly, email messages.

Assuming I've set up my BB device to receive work and personal email from 2 different accounts ie corporate and Gmail, when I open an email, will that message be shown as read in MS Outlook 2007 once I've synchronized the PC and device via USB?

Does this also apply to deleting messages on the device and automatically being deleted from MS Outlook 2007 during the sync so I don't have to delete the same message twice?

And finally, do messages I've sent from my device appear in the Sent Items folder within MS Outlook 2007 once I've synchronized them?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    06-04-08 07:13 AM
    1* I'm a little bit consfused, but believe you are trying to use DM from both your PC and laptop. If that is the case, you can do it.

I do it with my work PC and home PC.

2* It should show up as read if you set it up correctly. Gmail, will not show up as read though. You can download a Gmail app to read emails on your BB. To view attachments, you would need to open in your Gmail email box setup on your BB and not the gmail app.

Finally* No, not on BIS. There is a workaround though that NaviWilliams either answered or asked the question and it was answered. I will search for this when I get to work as I'm just getting ready.
    06-04-08 09:17 AM
    Also welcome to the crackberry.com
    06-04-08 09:18 AM
    Thanks for the quick response and top info

After a bit of digging, I've come to the conclusion that I'll just install the Gmail app, stay logged in permenantly and suffer not having the push email notification facility. But at least my emails will be synced.

Has anyone had any experience of using the Google Calendar sync app? I've heard reports that events created on a BB device have a habit of not appearing on the web hosted calendar or being duplicated.

How many calendars can you have set up on a BB device? Is it possible to have one for work that will sync with Outlook and a personal one that will sync wirelessly with Google?

Cheers.
    06-04-08 09:42 AM
    Welcome to the forums!
    06-04-08 11:05 AM
    I'm a new user of blackberry and have gmail and google calendar. I've tried a few different things now and am not real happy with any of the results.

The GoogleSync app doesn't work very well for the calendar, sometimes things don't show up, or I've even had things show up twice.

With that being said I'm sure it's just because I don't know what I'm doing and still need to finger some things out!

Good luck and welcome, most everyone here is very cool and has been even more helpful than the folks at Verizon--who I'm PAYING to support me! lol
    06-04-08 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD