Hi!

I am finishing up my 2nd day having a blackberry curve 8310 (AT&T), and I am really confused. I've spent at least 15 hours in the last few days reading the tutorials, lecture series, and all that stuff, and I'm still stumped. Color me blonde!

I'm having two issues:

1. I have no idea what my email/account name is to log into the AT&T/Blackberry website to change email settings. I am 100% sure that I did nothing to set this up (I'm not that ditzy!), yet when I go to register at the blackberry website, I am given an error message telling me that the phone with my IMEI number is already registered. I have no idea how that happened, because it wasn't done by me.

In email options on the BB, I see the option to create an account. When I click on that I receive a message that reads in part, "Currently, you have secure access to BlackBerry Internet Service from your device without entering a BlackBerry Internet Service user name. You may decide to create a user name and password."

Is this something I need to do? And what will happen since BB apparently thinks I already have an account? (Edit to add: If I try to register at the Blackberry page, it says that the account exists. However, when I use the "request password" feature, I receive a message on my phone telling me that no account exists for my PIN. So confusing to me.)

2. Emails aren't being marked as read on the BB when I read them on my computer. Even though I am having the issue outlined in question #1, I set up an IMAP email with my works web host. I am receiving all email on my BB immediately. Yay! However when I read emails at my desk on my computer (also using IMAP), they are staying as new on my BB. So at the end of the day my BB has 20 unread emails, when in fact they have all been read many hours earlier.

I have tried changing the synchronization settings to every possible combination that I can find, but nothing seems to change this behavior. Can someone tell me what I am missing?

I'm sorry, I feel like such a rube for asking these questions. Please be gentle with me.

Sara
    Last edited by SaraBear; 11-25-08 at 05:24 PM. Reason: clarify point # 1
    11-25-08 05:16 PM
    just for giggles, I added a gmail account to the BB, and it is doing the exact opposite of #2 above. It marks the messages as read on my desktop immediately upon pushing to the blackberry (I followed the setup instructions on the Google site exactly).

I really ain't no clue what I'm doing!
    11-25-08 06:33 PM
    11-25-08 06:37 PM
    Welcome to the CB family!
    11-26-08 12:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD