There I stood... Verizon store...

I was only planning upgrading my wife's phone. The CSR informs me I am eligible for an upgrade as well, early. My options? Pretty much everything in the store. However, couple my gadget loving, geek, and long time want for a BlackBerry device with the ability to upgrade to a Curve or Pearl for free (with upgrade credit and rebate) I couldn't resist.

I toiled for a bit. The phones spec out the same sans full-keyboard and screen size. My main internal toil was size. I like pocketable and the Pearl was basically the same size as the RAZr I hade been using for the past two years.

I opted for the Pearl--given that I have 30 days from date of upgrade to exchange it for the Curve, or any other phone, if I want.

Convince me...go for the Curve? Stay with the Pearl that I have no real complaints about? What to do, *sigh*.

The geek in me tells me I am missing the full experience of owning a BlackBerry. The pragmatist tells me keep the Pearl, afterall, I have no complaints.

The agony of Geekdom!

12-06-08 02:10 PM
    Actually, I feel whichever you pick its win/win. :-). Its a BlackBerry!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-08 02:18 PM
    Actually, I feel whichever you pick its win/win. :-). Its a BlackBerry!

Much agreed!

I guess at this point I am trying to convince myself that the size of the Curve isn't going to be akward for me. I am cool with SureType--works great for me. I think screen real estate is pretty much the deciding factor at this point. I just don't know if the difference is enough to exchange the phone and risk not liking the size.
    12-06-08 02:24 PM
    I switched from the pearl to the curve within the 30 day period. Both are great the curve worked out better for me due to the full keyboard and larger screen. Good luck.

12-06-08 02:29 PM
    I got the Pearl as my first BB. I had it for a couple months before I started to read these forums. After that I sort wished I had got the Curve. Although most people who have the Pearl on here love them. There seems to be almost reverence for the Curve. It seems to be by far the favorite choice on here.

Welcome to CrackBerry.

Happy BlackBerry'ing.
    12-06-08 02:32 PM

My vote: curve.

One of the finest devices I've ever owned (until Sprint gets the cdma version of the storm )
    12-06-08 02:51 PM
    I started with a pearl based on a sales person's advice. I had that about two months and during that time I found this website. I upgraded to the curve and love it!!!!

12-06-08 04:48 PM
    I had a 8700g come upgrade time I to was torn between the curve or the 8120 pearl. They both do the same thing I went with the Pearl due to size. The pearl does not pull my dress pants down LOL. I love it it took time to get use to not having a QWERY keyboard any more but like with any phone I learned quickly to adjust and text with one hand just as fast.

Stay with the Pearl you will love it.

12-06-08 06:01 PM
    welcome to crack
    12-06-08 11:32 PM
    The pearl is nice but the curve is the next level

12-06-08 11:43 PM
    honestly i say get the curve its only like a half an inch wider soo yeah
    12-06-08 11:57 PM
    The Curve - definitely the Curve. Read the forums, everyone who has a Curve absolutely loves it.

I'm a size person myself, and was worried about the Curve. Trust me - the size is not a problem with this phone.

Get the Curve! You'll be glad you did!
    12-07-08 01:55 AM
    I have been very, very happy with my pearl! I keep trying to like the curve because everyone on here loves it, but I love the size and function of my pearl. Still the size of my razr with all the joys of being a BB. Perfect for me.
    12-07-08 10:41 AM

Hello & welcome to the CB family!

12-07-08 10:48 AM
    I had the pearl and the upgraded to the curve...I loved the pearl and especially the size....the texting wasnt a problem at all....The screen was a bit small, but I understand it nhad to be bc of the size of the phone itself...The curve is my new best friend....The device is awesome, but you will be happy whether you decide to keep the pearl or not
    12-07-08 05:39 PM
    Well, I did it.

I am now the proud owner of a curve.

All I can say is WOW!

I am totally happy now and I can say that I feel I would have missed a lot had I not taken the pearl back and exchanged it for this new best friend named Curve.

Thanks for all the helpful replies!

12-07-08 07:17 PM
    Welcome to CB!!
    12-07-08 07:25 PM
    I'm thinking about exchanging my Pearl for the Curve as well. I miss the full keyboard.
    12-07-08 10:07 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!

12-08-08 12:13 AM
    I actually miss my Pearl. SureType gets easy and super fast to type on.

Welcome to the addiction.

Honesly... if you are more comfortable with a smaller device, then keep the Pearl. If you really want the Curve, maybe for the bigger screen and QWERTY keyboard, then that's as good as it is still a Blackberry and all Blackberries are winners.
    12-08-08 03:18 AM
    I can say that my experience has been a much smoother one with my curve. I exchanged it less than twelve hours ago. I have had zero hiccups. I think I had to pull the battery in my pearl 3 times during the first 12 hours.

The entire experience has been a much more rich one.

Web renders faster...I don't get 'uncaught exception' every other hour. It just seems a much more solid device.

Curve. It's what's for dinner.

12-08-08 09:34 AM
    I am holding on to my pearl until my carrier get a bold. I don't see swapping over just a little more memory but jumping to a full gig and I love that new OS. So what I am saying you not missing much between a curve and pearl. My wife and I have pearls my pastor has a curve and I get to play with his phone every Sunday teaching him new tricks I learn on CB

12-08-08 10:27 AM
    The order is in for my swap too. Curve is on it's way.
    12-08-08 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD