I have had a treo on Cingular for around four years.
    Currently use 'personal edition' xpress mail to get my emails off my work computer outlook. problem is I have to keep my computer logged in to the exchange server to get the messages pushed to my phone.

My small company just set up some of the field staff with blackberry's on Verizon, and set up the email server to push the messages whether they're logged in at their desks at home.

Since I need a new phone (treo is crapping out), but love my AT&T service, I'm looking at the BB.

Anyone know if a BB on ATT will sync up with the server that my Verizon co-workers are using? Is the BB email carrier based, or does it all go through RIM or something?

My IT guy is useless, since he's also the payroll guy (small company)

noob help please... I know some of you crackberry addicts know the answer.
    03-17-08 10:47 PM
    This is what I did, I'm with vzw, but it should work for anyone. Get a BB with a BIS account, you need outlook at work and at home,
    Get your BB syncd to your home outlook, get your email push set to your BB, set a rule to forward your work email to your home and select the save a copy option to your work pc. Bone' poof, if you need more detailed instructions let me know. Unfortunately my home internet is down and my BB is my only lifeline..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-08 11:14 PM
    Welcome to CB. You're almost home... "Must reach a Blackberry and drop treo" Almost there...

It's not carrier based, therefore if you co-workers have it set up on their Vzw ones, therefore you can on an AT&T device.
    03-18-08 02:34 AM
    Welcome to CB!
    03-18-08 07:10 AM
    It doesn't matter what network you're using, as long as you "authorize" your BlackBerry or BlackBerry Connect device to access your company's BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES), you can use whatever network you want...

Just make sure you choose the BES option when you get your BlackBerry or BlackBerry Connect device - you DON'T want a BlackBerry Individual Solution (BIS) as you will be connecting to your company server, and the BIS is not designed for this purpose...

03-18-08 08:29 AM
    Welcome to CB TfD. You'll love the stability of your new phone once you get it.
    03-18-08 08:50 AM
    AS long as you have a Blackberry you can't go wrong!!!! Welcome
    03-18-08 10:17 AM
    You only need a BIS account if all you want is your email. A BES account is more expensive and your IT department has their little policy running on your phone, which, depending on the company will restrict what web sites you're allowed access to on YOUR phone.

03-18-08 12:04 PM
    Here's the response to our IT guy from our outsourced IT consultant...

"I think it will work regardless of the telco provider but am not sure. The communications are between the device and your server. There was nothing in the configuration that had any specific reference to the provider. If there was then we both missed it during the setup."

AT&T person above says it will work... good to go?
    03-18-08 12:43 PM
    Worst case, you should be able to try and, if it doesn't work as you expect/desire, return the phone within the 30 days allowed and research other BB options. I think you'll find you'll be OK, however. One thing I didn't specifically see you state, was whether your company has BES. You mentioned your company is pushing emails, but not the method by which they are doing that. If you don't have BES, then you will have to use BIS and a method such as the one suggested by fonebrkr.
    03-18-08 12:55 PM
    Worst case, you should be able to try and, if it doesn't work as you expect/desire, return the phone within the 30 days allowed and research other BB options. I think you'll find you'll be OK, however. One thing I didn't specifically see you state, was whether your company has BES. You mentioned your company is pushing emails, but not the method by which they are doing that. If you don't have BES, then you will have to use BIS and a method such as the one suggested by fonebrkr.
    Clarification just came back from our IT guy.
    We have Blackberry Small Business Server product for MS Exchange - though he's not sure if that's the exact name.
    03-18-08 12:57 PM
    Got a 8310 Curve

Everything seemed to work OK with the server setup, and when tethered to the server with the USB cord, everything syncs fine.
    Wireless connection is causing some trouble.

EDIT - because the sales guy set me up with the BIS data plan, not the BES data plan... arrgggh now on hold with customer care to change my rate plan
    Last edited by TfD; 03-18-08 at 10:51 PM. Reason: update
    03-18-08 04:42 PM
    Got a 8310 Curve

Everything seemed to work OK with the server setup, and when tethered to the server with the USB cord, everything syncs fine.
    Wireless connection is causing some trouble.

EDIT - because the sales guy set me up with the BIS data plan, not the BES data plan... arrgggh now on hold with customer care to change my rate plan
    As soon as the BIS/BES issue is fixed, everything will be smooth sailing!

Welcome, btw :]
    03-18-08 11:25 PM
    Welcome to the CrackBerry
    03-18-08 11:27 PM
    Wow.
    I called ATT customer care from my home landline, waited on hold for 40 min, gave up.

Called 611 from my BB - connected to a live person with no waiting.

They changed my rate plan to the BES BB Connect. No problem, all is now right in the world since I now get my emails.
    03-18-08 11:31 PM
    maybe one of the forum mods/admins can change the title of this thread to better reflect what the discussion turned in to.

maybe "Connect VZW and AT&T BBs to same BES?"
    03-18-08 11:33 PM
    Welcome! glad u could join us!

03-20-08 11:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD