Hello! My name is Kevin (hence the regrettably cheesy username) and I'm quite the newbie when it comes to Blackberrys. I've been using the same Samsung Slider phone for the past four years and well, it's time to upgrade.

So after doing a bit of research, basic stuff really, I've decided to choose a Blackberry as my next mobile pal and that it's the perfect phone for me. I know there are going to be a few new models RIM is launching Q4 of this year so it will probably one of them.

So the ones I know of are the Bold and the Javelin, but is the latter even going to AT&T this year? Anyways before I decide on the two, I have some really basic questions to ask.

1. Is Gmail compatible with Blackberries?
    2. What exactly do you do with your Blackberry email address? Is it just like normal email address?
    3. How detailed are the Calenders? Day/Week/Month/Time/etc.
    4. Are they still worth using as a casual/consumer phone with little need (but still used) email capabilities?

Sorry if they are basic/stupid questions. I really am new to Blackberries. Any and all advice for a new (soon to be) Blackberry user would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks for your time!
    08-18-08 08:16 PM
    Hi and welcome to CB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-08 08:20 PM
    you will love the bb wich ever you get just make sure its the right one that will suite you and to answer ur questions 1.yes
    2.i have verizon and they give you a vzw.blackberry.net wich im sure all carriers do but you can use it as an alternate
    3.everything that you mention and you can sync ur gmail calnder if ya have one
    4.yes but as the bb grows on u ....u will see that your useing just about all the features
    as we all here are adicted u soon will be lollol
    08-18-08 08:23 PM
    1. Yes, gmail is extremely compatible with BBs. Almost instant notification, dedicated gmail apps available. Google calender sync also works well along with google maps. Basically, google & BBs are a good fit.

2. Yes, it's just like a normal address. It'll send & receive. I personally don't use it except for registering for forums/sites/etc I visit exclusively on my BB.

3. Calendars are... pretty good. Month, day, week and agenda views. Easy & intuitive input for appointments. Appointments are only scheduled on the 15 minutes, but can overlap.

4. There are more and more non-business users of BBs these days. With expandable memory, it's a decent MP3 player & in-a-pinch video player. Depending on the BB you choose, you'll probably get a QWERTY keyboard - many folks choose the BB for the keyboard for ease of texting/messaging. The browsing is there and obviously, has its limitations, but it's not bad for holding the internet in your hand. OS 4.5's browser is said to be improved (haven't installed myself).

Dive in. Explore the forums. Lots to learn.
    08-18-08 08:23 PM
    Thanks to all of you! You basically made my decision. I'm glad that it won't seem out of the ordinary for me to have a BB, though I'm sure I'll have to answer questions here and there.

Any useful, general Blackberry advice? (That don't depend on the model)

I guess the only other decision I have to make is which Blackberry is right for me. Right now I'm currently debating between the Javelin and the Bold. But I guess I'll have some time to make up my mind. Anyone have a preference between the two?
    08-18-08 08:38 PM
    Welcome to the forums. You will love your BlackBerry and this is the best site to get all the low down...
    08-18-08 08:43 PM
    thats a good question ...im still loving the curve so thats all on you lol lol but just way in the do's and don't like what best is going to suite you
    08-18-08 08:44 PM
    Just wanted to say Hi and welcome
    08-18-08 08:46 PM
    Hi and Welcome to Crackberry.
    08-18-08 08:49 PM
    Hello and welcome!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-08 08:50 PM
    Thanks for the welcome, everyone! This is such a great site and community. I've been on some forums where replies would take days

Anyways, it seems like everyone (almost) has a Curve. Is there something special you like about it compared to the other available BB's? Or just personal preference?

Sidenote: I just saw a Blackberry ad while watching the Olympics!
    08-18-08 09:07 PM
    for me its got alot of memory and its small and has a nice cam.
    .....and i can go on and on and on lollol
    lets just say i like it so much i have 2
    08-18-08 09:11 PM
    ... it seems like everyone (almost) has a Curve. Is there something special you like about it compared to the other available BB's? Or just personal preference?
    The Curve is a prefect fit in most peoples hand. It has a functional keyboard and a great LCD display.

Some will prefer the smaller size of the Pearl, some may find a better fit with the 88's, but the Curve is the runaway leader of the pack.
    08-18-08 10:14 PM
    The Curve is a prefect fit in most peoples hand. It has a functional keyboard and a great LCD display.

Some will prefer the smaller size of the Pearl, some may find a better fit with the 88's, but the Curve is the runaway leader of the pack.
    Yeah, Stoner hit the nail on the head with that post. Oh, and welcome to CB and congrats on your new BB.
    08-18-08 10:39 PM
    Actually I don't have one yet, haha. I plan on getting one this fall for contract reasons, etc. The Curve sounds great though! Is it pocketable?

Side note: Do you know if the Javelin will be coming to AT&T this year?
    08-19-08 11:30 AM
    Welcome to CB!!!!
    08-19-08 11:36 AM
    hey kevinberry...welcome to the cb addiction and bb family!!
    08-19-08 01:21 PM
    Thanks! Can someone tell what comes in a standard (new) BlackBerry box? Besides the actual phone, obviously.
    08-19-08 08:48 PM
    Hello Kevin, welcome to the cb family. I don't know about your carrier, I'm w/Alltel. My BB Curve 8330 came w/charger, usb adpt., cd for DM, & a basic case. Oh, & some head/ear phones.
    08-20-08 12:39 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!
    08-20-08 02:10 AM
    I had a Pearl (matter of fact, still have it) but did not like the keyboard. The curve is a much better fit for me. I would consider myself a casual user also but I LOVE my Curve.
    08-20-08 03:27 AM
    Hello Kevin, welcome to the cb family. I don't know about your carrier, I'm w/Alltel. My BB Curve 8330 came w/charger, usb adpt., cd for DM, & a basic case. Oh, & some head/ear phones.
    What does DM stand for? I'm embarrassed for not knowing much about this.
    08-20-08 02:58 PM
    DM is the Blackberry Desktop Manager. used for syncing with your PC and loading apps on to your BB.
    08-20-08 03:30 PM
    Ahh I see, thanks!

Another quick question, what exactly can you store on the on board memory and on the microSD?
    08-21-08 02:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD