Ummmm, can I use my old razor charger for the curve bb? The plug looks the same...what about the charger for my nintendo ds? Thought that may be stronger. Same voltage? Don't wanna void anything!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-08 10:28 AM
    If it works try it, but you are taking a chance on messing up your phone.
    06-14-08 10:32 AM
    It works without problem.
    06-14-08 10:34 AM
    The Motorola charger will work. A number of threads in here testify to that. As for the Nintendo, I have no idea.

The best charger is the original, genuine Blackberry charger that came with your phone. Use that and you will get fastest charging, longest battery life (yes, there is a known difference), and good battery longevity.
    06-14-08 10:35 AM
    works without any problem, the usb chargers become standard now..

i use it with my htc, tomtom and motorola charger .. all the same
    06-14-08 10:45 AM
    Many work, but some don't. Specifically, my Freedom Keychain 2000 GPS USB charger will not charge my blackberry 8830. The charge icon comes on for a few seconds, then goes out. There may be a standard miniUSB connector pinout and voltage and current levels, but apparently not all chargers follow the standard.

06-14-08 11:22 AM
    I wouldn't risk messing up my Blackberry if I were you. If you don't know, don't try it!! Welcome to CRACKberry by the way!
    06-14-08 11:27 AM
    I use any charger for anything, from htc to BB to my ps3 controllers. Doesn't make a difference to me

06-14-08 04:01 PM
    I may try it. Thanks everyone! I just didn't want to have to buy a new car charger for the phone when I already have one for the ds and my razor that look the same. I was planning on using the factory charger at night, was just looking for a car charging alternative to buying a BB car charger. Thanks!! I may be new, but I'm obsessed with this site already!! I love this! And I love to learn new things abt my new baby!!! I'm so happy I went with a BB and not a dash like the rep told me I should, since I was "new" to smartphones! Forget that mess, I wanted the best from the start!!! Lol

06-15-08 03:06 PM
    Welcome to CB.
    If there are any output details on the chargers I would compare before trying. A friend of mine fried his batt due to a charger that had an output 25x higher than his bb was supposed to get. He was lucky to only damage the battery and only because he notice within a few mins of plugging it in that it was getting extreamly hot!!!

Good luck
    06-15-08 03:39 PM
    iGo.com - Power Adapters and Chargers for Mobile Electronic Devices is a universal charger solution sold at places like bestbuy and radioshack

demo - iGo Products

Patented tip technology allows a single iGo adapter to charge all your gadgets using interchangeable tips. These tips automatically configure to ensure each device gets the precise amount of power it requires.

you buy the charger, and get your 1st tip free with it. each time you buy a phone, instead of buying a new car charger, just buy a new tip, which are usually 9.99, unless its an older phone, in that case, its like 4.97 or around there.

the razor/mio gps takes an a32
    the blackberry takes an a29
    the htc/garmin gps takes an a53
    the ds lite takes an a88

different voltages for different tips. the charger is the same, the tip controls the voltage

but none of this will matter anymore, once the phone manufacturers adopt the new universal charging standard of micro-usb which is a97 for the igo world...the newer sanyo phones have already switched to this charger style... abondoning their barrel pin (a00) and flat charger (a02) styles.

OMTP agrees on micro-USB standard for mobiles - Engadget
    Phone Manufacturers Settle on Micro-USB Charging Standard - Boing Boing Gadgets
    Micro-USB to be a new phone charger standard | IT News Digest | TechRepublic.com
    08-23-08 09:50 AM
    I have a silver OEM cradle charger hooked up to the USB on my PS3 and it works just fine. I have been doing this for awhile now with no problems...
    08-23-08 09:56 AM
    It's all in the numbers.

The charger Voltage output has to be a regulated 5VDC; I've seen some rated as 3.4VDC. If the charger delivers 5VDC, you're past the first hurdle.

Then there's the current.

A standard USB port should (by spec) deliver 500mA; the disc that comes with a BlackBerry lets it pull a little more.

So a charger should deliver at least 500mA, but your BB will be happier if it sees 700-800mA. The standard OEM charger that comes with a BlackBerry handset delivers 750mA.
    08-23-08 10:26 AM