Ive got a 8310 on ATT and I cant add a contact on bb messenger...

According to another moderator here...
    How do I add a contact to BlackBerry Messenger?
    To add a contact, first open BlackBerry Messenger. Click the track wheel/track ball to bring up the menu and select add contact. When you click on add contact, you will be brought to your address book to select the contact you want to add. Simply click on the contact and select request. If you do not have the contact in your address book, scroll to the top of the list and highlight 'use once'. When you click the wheel, you will be able to request by PIN or by email. Select the appropriate one based on what information you possess. You will be offered the option to personalize the message sent to the recipient before your request is sent.

I open up my BB messenger and I bring up the menu and click add contact. Then it brings up my address book and I try to select but in the menu there isnt a request to select, if i click use once, it only gives me an email option and no pin option. I can receive other ppl's request fine and I can have conversations also, just cant request... is this a problem with all att bbs or just mine?
    01-14-08 11:33 AM
    Once you are at the address book scroll up to "Use Once" and hit the menu options, there you will see "Request by Email and Request by Pin". Once you select Request by Pin add the pin and then you will be able to edit the message being sent.
    01-14-08 11:38 AM
    If you go to the Use Once option, instead of hitting the trackball, press the menu button and that will let you request by PIN.

You also select that contact directly in your address book if you have them saved with PIN number. Just highlight their name, and then press the menu button and request by PIN.
    01-14-08 11:39 AM
    thanks...

how do i add a contact in my address book? when I click on the person's name in my address book.. it shows me a menu but in the menu their is no option on selecting request by email or pin..?

Like for example, I add a contact in messenger.. say I add Anne.. I know Anne is using a bb. I select Anne and her address book entry comes up. I click menu and again no option for request in there. Even when I dont bring up her address book profile just highlight her name in the main name selection screen, then hit menu, there is still no option of request.
    01-14-08 11:49 AM
    Ok if you have a person in your address book that you would like to add, just go to your bbm then select "add a contact", it will automatically take you to your address book, select the name of the person that you would like to add (assuming that their pin is already there) and the message "___would like to add you to his or her bbm contact list" will come up, you can either send it like that or add something to it. then hit ok and it'll send. It'll show up as pending until that person accepts it.
    01-14-08 11:59 AM
    Ok if you have a person in your address book that you would like to add, just go to your bbm then select "add a contact", it will automatically take you to your address book, select the name of the person that you would like to add (assuming that their pin is already there) and the message "___would like to add you to his or her bbm contact list" will come up, you can either send it like that or add something to it. then hit ok and it'll send. It'll show up as pending until that person accepts it.
    Thats what Im saying is that when I add a contact.. it takes me the the address book, when I select a person's name and hit the menu... in my options, there is no request option.. therefore I cant even get the request msg to come up. I dont know if its a problem with my OS, or I got a defective unit that doesnt have the option or this is jus a common issue with 8310 att users?
    01-14-08 12:09 PM
    Umm...I'm not sure what the problem is, when you select "add a contact" from your bb messenger and highlight a person's name (Make sure that their pin is already in their info) it should automatically take you to the request window to edit the message.

Try pulling the battery (with the device on) and do it all over again.
    Last edited by cindylov4; 01-14-08 at 12:35 PM.
    01-14-08 12:15 PM
    I'm guessing that you do not have her PIN saved in her contact info.
    01-14-08 03:51 PM
    You must have the persons email address or pin saved in their contact info before the option to request by pin/email will show up on the menu. Took me forever to figure that one out.
    02-29-08 05:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD